Convince me on the Monomachine, or not

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
masstronaut

Re: Convince me on the Monomachine, or not

Post by masstronaut » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:58 pm

What people are saying here has mostly reconfirmed my suspicions. I'm not 100% certain but I'm not at all turned off the idea either. I think I'll love the sequencer interface and no doubt those sounds will find their place. And I realise the tight integration is a big part of it.

Alternatively I've been looking at an RS7000 or a Command Station for sequencing. I also really like the Electribes for sheer playability and fun and obviously an EMX would cost way less than a Mono, could even add an ESX in there and still be under. But then that wouldn't be much use for external sequencing, certainly not if chords were involved. Maybe I should be looking at an MD instead as I'll probably want to add another synth anyway...

And then if I'm thinking about sequencers I start thinking about what the Mono doesn't do, which has me casting my eye towards Germany...

The other option is just to buy whatever crosses my path first and see how it goes.

Thanks for all your input and thoughts.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:13 pm

Well, the EMX-1 and some other sequencer is certainly a decent combo to keep your mind off of the MnM.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

system777

Post by system777 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:12 am

Just as a side note I'm selling mine ( MonoMachine MK2 ) dirt cheap = )... Have a look in the for sales adds...

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:05 pm

I have too much A.D.D. and am a semi-slow reader, so I went through this thread in a whim..

Anyways, I love my Monomachine and my Machinedrum, I don't have any other gear (I've sold it all) except my Rhodes, Piano, Harmonium, Melodicas and a ton of pedals+effects.

In my opinion, it doesn't sound "brittle and digital" because I don't make those sounds (most of the time), it's kind of all up to you how it sounds..
And come on, what about external processing to "warm" the supposedly "cold" machine up?

IMO it's not "cold" it's just super clean, maybe a bit sterile?

But that's a good thing, I'd rather have a clean, white piece of paper than a paper that has something printed on it (roses?) that I can never get rid of; I can only add to the white one (am I drifting away?)

Anyways,
the demos on the web don't do these machines justice!
Plus, at ca. $1000 it's so much better than any other synth in that price range..
And it holds it value, so you can sell it again for the same price if you decide to (which I doubt)

IMO it should cost $2000 :)
..or even a million dollars!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:38 pm

masstronaut wrote:Alternatively I've been looking at an RS7000 or a Command Station for sequencing. I also really like the Electribes for sheer playability and fun and obviously an EMX would cost way less than a Mono, could even add an ESX in there and still be under. But then that wouldn't be much use for external sequencing, certainly not if chords were involved. Maybe I should be looking at an MD instead as I'll probably want to add another synth anyway...
The Command Stations are kind of like uber-monomachines in a way, that being that you've got the knobby interface and you can record all your knob tweaks as part of the sequence, so if the parameter lock stuff is what you're into a CS could be worth a look. They are pretty fiddly when it comes to some things though, like deep synth programming and editing sequences. The manual's like a phone book, but that shouldn't be surprising on something that powerful. Oh, they sound really good too, provided you don't rely on the internal mix engine too much. I've gotten much better results tracking stuff out separately and mixing in software.

Upside is they're way cheaper than they really should be, and super powerful. If I were you I'd probably still be getting a monomachine cause that way if you don't like it at least you'll know. If you've got any spare cash lying around though and see an XL-7 or something going cheap I'd pick it up though, they're seriously underrated machines.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Yes indeed, that's good to know. They always seemed like a really good option to me, and I can see that the E-MU synthesis is very powerful, it's obvious that you could do so much with that even with just a few basic waveforms let alone all the other junk they give you. Most users just seem to treat them as preset machines* though and/or moan about the stupid decor. I've got my eye out for a PX-7 anyway cos I'd like those drums more than anything. Shame E-MU's no longer making stuff like that, and again I'm still very curious to see what Dave and Rog come out with later in the year...

Actually the one thing I think the CS's are really lacking is being able to make custom grooves. But the live capability looks great with the pattern x-fade thing that allows you to bring in sections of another pattern before switching. Plus I like hitting things so pads is a bonus.

Cheers.

* Possible distorted perspective brought on by viewing youtube clips.