Moog Voyager Old School question...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Moog Voyager Old School question...

Post by Sexor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:16 am

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these things, but I have one issue which I can't seem to find out anywhere - at least not clear enough.

I'm very picky with keyboard modes (top/bottom/last note priority) and as far as I've found out, because the OS is stripped of ALL digital parts, including keyboard scanning, it is confined to lowest note priority, as is the tradition with the older Moog synths, such as the Model D, Prodigy and so on.

This could possibly be a dealbreaker for me, because I really can't STAND top/bottom priority. If I am to be able to play properly I have to have last note priority.

Now, I have read that powering on with the top two keys pressed will give you a "multi-trigger" mode.... is this what I'm looking for?

I know that on the original Voyager, you can select all the different modes in a menu. But I really want the Old School and not the normal one...

So, what do you say, OS owners? Xpander?
Monkey business since 2007!

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Re: Moog Voyager Old School question...

Post by pangmaster » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:07 am

The keyboard scanner in the OS is in fact the only digital component, and it is last note not lowest note. As you've read, you can switch between legato (or single-trigger) which is the default, to multi-trigger. Basically, the difference is that in multi-trigger mode, when you have two keys held down and release one, the gate is re-triggered for the held note as if you had pressed that key again.

Did you look at the manual on the Moog site? Page 30 explains the keyboard modes.

I absolutely love my OS! 8)
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Re: Moog Voyager Old School question...

Post by Sexor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Ok, sweeeet! Thanks for the info.

Now it's time to sell a few lesser-used things and get the damn thing before they sell out. The white one looks seriously sexy.
Monkey business since 2007!