mic pre indecision

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

mic pre indecision

Post by novielo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:03 am

hey i need your help.

i got a presonus firepod (spdif in), the preamp are fine. multiple ins that alow to track while recording or record everything at once. but i would like a better preamp, i'm not in a rush i can live with them. but i'm realy looking at a great preamp. and i don't whant to get 20 preamp, 2 (pre of 2 channels) would be more then enaught for my needs.

i got couple of choices that i'm looking at, yes they vary in price. they vary alot, that's why i'm saying that i'm not in a rush, if i go for an expensive pre i don't mind waiting couple of months to get it.

keep in mind that the converter on this interface ar about of the same quality as a motu. so i'm looking also at other pres with spdif, if you have any other suggestions. I'm looking to get a transparent or lightly colord sound and 60db of gain or more.

1-apogee minime, spdif and portable
2-fmr rnp, transparent
3-DAV BG no 1, some say it's a step up of the fmr rnc
4-seventh circle kit, for 2000$ you can pick a great selection of 8 preamp clones
5-dbx 386 Dual Vacuum Tube Microphone Preamplifier, maybe only for the tube hype but it got spdif
6- focusrite isa

what would you pick and why? have any other suggestions?

cheers have a good week-end
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Re: mic pre indecision

Post by novielo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:38 pm

after looking around in the last days. i changed my list. some things have beeb brought to my attention while reading various sources of informations

1-minime, as great as it can sound the idea of not have a way to use other compressor then the one that is on board is kind of an issue.

2- fmr rnc, i would still like to find some a-b comparison with it. some poeple bash while other praise by it

3- dav bg1, i still have to read something negative about it and for what it's worth, the sound on sound review praised it (am i the only one that think that SOS always gives reviews that say a product is good). and they are the only one that provided an all included price. shipping, rate exchange, duty.

4- seventh circle kit, coudn't find much about it

5- dbx 386, looks like a good unit but for it's price tag it's little to much of an average preamp with an average ad converter

6- focusrite isa, i would realy to hear some a-b comparision about it.

i have found while searching the black lion audio site. they offer what seems like very good product. they have a ad converter that alot of poeple have liked, the clock has been praise has an improvement from poeple that runs apogee big ben and the preamp comparision on their site against chandler and little lab preamp.

at this point i'm leaning toward the dav bg1 or the bla auteur with the ad converter of bla.

seems like i'm talking to myself :lol:

-hey, hi
-hi
-who are you?
-you
-me?
-no, you.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Hmmm.... I'd go for the Mini-me out of the ones you've choosen, but why haven't you thought of the Daking Mic Pre One? Oh I see...you want two channels... yeah, maybe the black lion audio one then...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

novielo

Post by novielo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:34 pm

thanks js, i'll look for the daking.

the minime was, at the beginning, my first choice. even now if i could find one at a good price i would go for it. i don't think i could go wrong, sound wise. but there's little things that bugs me with it. i'm looking at a good preamp for two things mainly. using it as a mic pre. but also because i like grain, dirt, flutter from a 1/8" reel-to-reel, the crackling and pop of various sources. i want to be able to get it. for the first one the minime, will do just fine. but for the second point, the lack of send-return and because you have to use the comp inside. you got some adjustment that you can do, but you have to open the thing.

with the send-return or at least between the pre and the adc, i'll be able to use all my crappy comp, fx, guitar pedals.

krinkelfish

Post by krinkelfish » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:36 pm

MPX-4Aii.

http://www.sytek-audio-systems.com/prod ... amps/mpx4/

VERY clean, lots of gain... 4 mic pres for $800... get the one with the Burr Brown chips on channels 3-4.
:D

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:51 pm

novielo wrote:thanks js, i'll look for the daking.

the minime was, at the beginning, my first choice. even now if i could find one at a good price i would go for it. i don't think i could go wrong, sound wise. but there's little things that bugs me with it. i'm looking at a good preamp for two things mainly. using it as a mic pre. but also because i like grain, dirt, flutter from a 1/8" reel-to-reel, the crackling and pop of various sources. i want to be able to get it. for the first one the minime, will do just fine. but for the second point, the lack of send-return and because you have to use the comp inside. you got some adjustment that you can do, but you have to open the thing.

with the send-return or at least between the pre and the adc, i'll be able to use all my crappy comp, fx, guitar pedals.
I understand... I ultimately went for the Apogee Duet and a Great River ME-1NV myself... the Duet's preamp was way too clean for me.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:09 pm

novielo wrote: 2- fmr rnc, i would still like to find some a-b comparison with it. some poeple bash while other praise by it.
I presume you mean the RNP?
3- dav bg1, i still have to read something negative about it and for what it's worth, the sound on sound review praised it (am i the only one that think that SOS always gives reviews that say a product is good). and they are the only one that provided an all included price. shipping, rate exchange, duty.
Heard one briefly, very nice, seems to be highly regarded everywhere, and a bit of a bargain for what it does.

BTW I disagree with you about SOS, I've seen less than complementary reviews of gear in there. I particularly recall Gordon Reid's 1st review of the Waldorf Q, said it wasn't finished and really shouldn't be on sale yet. The Nord stage got a less than glowing review too. Bear in mind as well that there's very little really bad gear out there now (despite what you may read on Gearslutz...)
4- seventh circle kit, coudn't find much about it

5- dbx 386, looks like a good unit but for it's price tag it's little to much of an average preamp with an average ad converter

6- focusrite isa, i would realy to hear some a-b comparision about it.
Focusrite's very clean and neutral, in a different range to the dbx certainly. Have read good things re the 7th circle stuff, but you do have to build it...

novielo

Post by novielo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:43 am

steveman wrote:I presume you mean the RNP?
yes, RNP

BTW I disagree with you about SOS, I've seen less than complementary reviews of gear in there. I particularly recall Gordon Reid's 1st review of the Waldorf Q, said it wasn't finished and really shouldn't be on sale yet. The Nord stage got a less than glowing review too. Bear in mind as well that there's very little really bad gear out there now (despite what you may read on Gearslutz...)
thanks for letting me know for sos, seems like i didn't come across these.
i tryed to read gearslutz for 2 days, seriously. but it seems like everyone is throwing what ever pseudo-fact they come across. i was reading a thread about underated compressor. in the same page they said, and agreed, that fmr rnc was overated, for 200$ it just do what it's supposed to. and the value of what they agreed as a crappy comp (a dbx 166 i think, whatever) was ok at 250$... i'm still trying to figure out... i also looked at the mpc forum... it was even worst. but don't get me wrong, either of these forums, some people did had very good comment, it was sad that they flooded by the others.
Focusrite's very clean and neutral, in a different range to the dbx certainly. Have read good things re the 7th circle stuff, but you do have to build it...
i wish that seventh circle do some case/power supply that fit in a smaller package. something like "the brick" or some kind of 2 or 4 spaces rig. instead of only the rack case that you have fill to get discount on psu, cable and case.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:06 am

If you're up for making SCAs you should check out the JLM Audio Baby Animal or Dual. Also the Hamptone kits are a nice two channel unit for a good price.

Otherwise I'd be looking at the DAV out of the one's you've mentioned.

novielo

Post by novielo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:14 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:If you're up for making SCAs you should check out the JLM Audio Baby Animal or Dual. Also the Hamptone kits are a nice two channel unit for a good price.

Otherwise I'd be looking at the DAV out of the one's you've mentioned.
how did you like the hamptone? the tube or the fet?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:56 am

I've used the tube a little, sounded quite nice. I was doing a live recording so I didn't have time to AB it against anything else, but I was happy with the sound/results.

novielo

Post by novielo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:28 am

thanks stab, did you ever had any experience with black lion product? modded gears or anything else?

novielo

Post by novielo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:39 am

by the way, i just realized that the dav bg1 shipped is cheaper then the hamptone. even the fet one.