Lazy Programmer or New Synths?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
iamrcb
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Lazy Programmer or New Synths?

Post by iamrcb » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 pm

I've got a Juno 6 and a JP-8000 running through a mixer and a Korg Mini KP. The juno 6 makes a good sound and is very much "fun" to use. The JP-8000 has the ability and control but is less fun (less manual). Does anyone have any suggestions for replacements synths (one or both) based on a Juno 6 being worth £200 and a Jp-8000 being worth £350 (on ebay of course). Fun to make sounds for fun is they key here.

I seem to have lost the song making ability but that hasn't diminshed my enojyment of riff or elaborate sound making. I did buy Korg DS10 and steal my mother's DS though , which for me is better than rebirth for the PC was back in the day!

or should I just try harder with the stuff i've got...

Thanks

Rich

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Re: Lazy Programmer or New Synths?

Post by stephen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi,

Spend some more time working with what you have... you might regret selling your stuff. If you want to expand your range of synths, why not hook up your JP8000 to your computer and have a play with some of the good quality free softsynths?

If you want to buy some more hardware, how about taking a look at the korg electribes... lots of live sequencing and knob tweakery - great for getting ideas down or just noodling with. The older tribes are pretty cheap to get hold of.
Stephen(2)

Dreamtronix

Post by Dreamtronix » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:48 am

Ahhhh....Writer's Block. It's a b***h when that happens. When it happens to me I always look to buying new gear for inspiration. This is not a wise thing to do. When the inspiration comes back, you'll regret letting go of the old gear.

Yes, new gear can spark inspiration, but maybe you just need to take a break and pick it up later.
That usually works for me and I feel so much better when I get back to it and all my old friends are waiting for me in the studio. :D
Roland: Jupiter-8, Jupiter-6(x2), MC-808, MP-600, RS-09,

Yamaha: CS-30, SK-15

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:01 am

Rich, check out this Juno-6 video from VSE's very own shaft9000. He gets a lot out of his Juno-6:

Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects