1u synths

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

1u synths

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:32 am

Hey everyone, just wonder what each of you would reccomend for some one interested in getting some synths to "fill in extra rackspaces"

Now saying this I got a synth in mind I'm a little curious about, which is the Yamaha TX81Z, I know its used on A23's albums but not sure how it sounds let alone if its something worth buying, however it is super inexpensive and could prolly kick some serious tail with the right effects behind it. your thoughts? suggestions?

Style :trancy stuff, future pop, old school and modern Industrial. "dark wave"

I've gotten my hands on the various Emu modules but they arent exactly what I'd like to bring in, your thoughts? also I wanna keep this low budget, that word being so relitive I'll need to hear what it can do before i determin wether its over priced or not...

Example: Casio PCM board 200 $USD = Over priced.
Access Virus b desktop: 500 USD = under priced and ideal for studio.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: 1u synths

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:00 am

BlackGnosis wrote:I've gotten my hands on the various Emu modules but they arent exactly what I'd like to bring in, your thoughts?
If you can't get the sounds you want out of an XL-1 with a bit of tweaking then you might as well give up. :) Super value synths, sound great but a pain to edit. Stupidly cheap though because of it.

If you want to make trance/industrial and you have no imagination or ability to program your own sounds then a Virus Rack could be a good purchase.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:26 am

The TX81Z is worth a look for something supercheap. Great for metallic, trashy sounds, and solid basses; not the easiest thing to program.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:48 pm

The TX81Z is okay: good bang for the buck, but not a terribly inspired (or inspiring) synth. It has the usual FM negatives (in my book at least) of sterility, coldness and lack of a decent user interface. It is very flexible though, should you have the time and inclination to delve into programming.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Oberheim Matrix 1000 or Roland MKS-50.

JB
Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

Post by JB » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:18 pm

1u of rack space to fill? Symbolic Sound PacaRana :)

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:52 pm

I'll second the Matrix-1000 (but note that you need a computer or a MIDI knob box
to edit it).
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 pm

cold and metallic isnt that bad, the virus is fun to play with and I dont mind doing a lot of menu diving when programming my own sounds, but getting the ones I want is more of an issue, the XL-1 was already on my "maybe I should get that next" list since E-mu made such an awesome series of romplers. I wasnt familier with the TX81Z's sounds since youtube provides little info on them. I asked on A23's forum for sound examples in the cd's I have so I'd geta better idea what to expect.

If I get a virus its either a K model or desktop since they can be rackmounted, but its nice theres a 1u version of it out there. too bad it has less voices and capability.

I've always been a fan of Oberhiem so I'll defiantly look into the matrix-1k, I love the MKS-80 so I'll check the MKS-50 out later. :3 thankies everyone for your imput.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Z wrote:Oberheim Matrix 1000 or Roland MKS-50.
cornutt wrote:I'll second the Matrix-1000 (but note that you need a computer or a MIDI knob box
to edit it).
I had a listen of its capability and its quite an impressive little box, 6 voice poly with mutitimbral capability is pretty win for a little box like that. gonna watch a few on ebay so I know how much I'll need after I get my returns.

Interestingly the youtube video of its demo's reminds me of the FL WASP .vst program....

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Wavestation SR

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Roland MVS-1 or other modules in that series

Roland U-110 or U-220

Korg N1R

Korg TR (Trinity) Rack
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:I love the MKS-80 so I'll check the MKS-50 out later. :3 thankies everyone for your input.
The MKS-50 is actually a racked Alpha Juno, so is quite different than the 80.
Novation BassStation Rack isn't bad, and actually is laden with tiny knobs.
Korg X5DR is a nice little half-rack rompler with O1/W and M1 sounds, and 64 voices.

All of the MAM products listed at the VS site are single rack space.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Roland JV-880. Really cheap, 1U, and expandable with the SR-JV80 expansion boards. A versatile synth.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Malpine Walis

Post by Malpine Walis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 am

So you have a 1U space open? Sounds to me like you have too much money in the bank and only GAS can fix that problem. Just kidding but even so I looked at both ebay and musiciansfriend.com and I did not see anything that would be a good fit.

OTOH, if you are willing to look at 2U or 3U, then you have some good options. Then of course you have to get another case and move stuff around. This will lead to even more GAS but even so, that is probably where you need to look.
Current gear:

Korg X5 (basically an ROMpler)
Casio VZ 10M (rack mount 80's style synth-- think DX7 on steroids)
Roland A 37 (6+ octave controller for the Casio rack unit above)
Roland JP 8000 (well enough known analog modeling digital synth)

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:31 am

Jack Spider wrote:Roland JV-880. Really cheap, 1U, and expandable with the SR-JV80 expansion boards. A versatile synth.
I like the key version of it, but I'd prolly just use it for a guitar synth or for doing coveres of Prodigy or something XD, still an okay synth.\

Malpine Walis wrote:So you have a 1U space open? Sounds to me like you have too much money in the bank and only GAS can fix that problem. Just kidding but even so I looked at both ebay and musiciansfriend.com and I did not see anything that would be a good fit.

OTOH, if you are willing to look at 2U or 3U, then you have some good options. Then of course you have to get another case and move stuff around. This will lead to even more GAS but even so, that is probably where you need to look.
Actually I'm rebuilding my studio, getting rid of my MC-808 [dun like its interface, Also its a pain to use LIVE since i hate "presetting" my music, however others may like it, hence why its for sale]

The synth I'm dying to get my hands on is a Virus KC, something with power and keys, but I also like rack synths cause I can bolt them into a rail, I dont have any rails yet, but I'm likely to get a 20 spacer one again and are gonna keep my Mixer OFF the rack this time and I wanted to fill that space with a handful of synths. but I wanted to start with 1u cause typically old second hand 1u synths are actually pretty awesome, however I'm just asking about it.

Definately getting the yamaha tx80z and the Obie matrix1000 to toss in, nice wide range of sounds and also would get a lot of bang with them TOGETHER in sync...

oh well, Keep suggesting VSE :D I love learning whats out there.

Also! anyone know of a good SH-101 knockoff? like the Revolution or the x0xb0x is to a 303 I wanna look into reverse engeneered or obvious doups of the SH-101. theres prolly one out there in 1u.