Decisions, Decisions

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Check

Decisions, Decisions

Post by Check » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:04 am

Hey there! Long time no see... I recently purchased the prophet 08 and LP and I want an MPC... My question is, is it worth having them both? I LOVE them and the LP is so fun and easy to play with (I'm pretty knew to all this analog synth stuff). But if I were to get rid of one it would be the LP because much more is possible on the p08. Is the sound difference big enough to keep both? I want to keep the LP for basses but are those sounds possible on the p08? I have the cash to keep them and get the MPC, do you think that would be a waste?

Also I haven't really explored the simple side of the p08 because I'm a little overwhelmed...Anything I should read or watch to help me out?

Thanks!
Michael

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Decisions, Decisions

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:02 am

Check wrote:Is the sound difference big enough to keep both?
See those flappy things on either side of your head? Use them to figure out the answer to this question yourself. :thumbright:

This is a completely subjective question that only you can answer. Maybe you're playing keys in a rock band and you just need to make any old basic 'analogue synth' kind of sound. Maybe you're some kind of anasnob that argues about whether the OB-X or OB-8 is better for making the Jump patch and you appreciate the huge amount of sonic differences between the LP and P08.

There's no right answer, except for the answer you decide for yourself. But just watch as many people try and tell you one way or the other anyway.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:07 am

I haven't had a lot of experience with the P08 [yet], but one thing I can say is that there's a definite advantage when playing live to be able to chord with one hand and play a lead in a totally different patch with the other.

Check

Post by Check » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Check wrote:Is the sound difference big enough to keep both?
See those flappy things on either side of your head? Use them to figure out the answer to this question yourself. :thumbright:

This is a completely subjective question that only you can answer. Maybe you're playing keys in a rock band and you just need to make any old basic 'analogue synth' kind of sound. Maybe you're some kind of anasnob that argues about whether the OB-X or OB-8 is better for making the Jump patch and you appreciate the huge amount of sonic differences between the LP and P08.

There's no right answer, except for the answer you decide for yourself. But just watch as many people try and tell you one way or the other anyway.
Thanks! But as I said I am a bit overwhelmed at the p08 right now...I've never touched that many knobs in my life! AHH! I guess I am just asking can I get my p08 to sound like the moog with some tweaking? Or is it just worth keeping them both?

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:53 am

create a few basic patches on each that are as identical in architecture as possible (e.g., square wave, slight detune b/w osc's, with resonance at 50% [put your p'08 in unison mode for this])...play them side by side. sweep the filter. if you hear a big difference, you have your answer. if you don't hear a big difference, you also have your answer.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:03 am

Keep both, buy an MPC.
Sorted.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Check

Post by Check » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:09 am

You are a smart man Griffin...
Off to get an MPC!

Oh, and the answer is OB-8 for the Jump patch.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 am

Oh no! Which MPC? #-o

Just...kidding...
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:35 am

Check wrote:I guess I am just asking can I get my p08 to sound like the moog with some tweaking
Define 'like'. :D

Maybe you should just keep both until you know them well enough that you can decide for yourself. If you find that you're not using the LP because you're happy getting all your sounds from the P08 then you could sell it off. I've heard some pretty nice basses from a P08.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Check wrote:I recently purchased the prophet 08 and LP and I want an MPC... My question is, is it worth having them both?
I have the cash to keep them and get the MPC, do you think that would be a waste?
Seriously, this is the wrong question to be asking a bunch of synth knurds.

They both have their pro's and con's. They can sound similar if you want, but they can also sound very different. I think you need to start to define your situation so you can make an informed decision.

i.e.
1) Do you like to multitrack for polyphony?
2) Is the MPC a viable substitute for the p8/lp if you were to sell one off?
3) Do you have space limitations in your studio?
4) If these instruments are used in a live setting, are any of these instruments superfluous?
5) Are you having troubles patching the instruments in/out of your setup?
6) Is your wife/girlfriend/mother giving you a hard time about how many electric pianos you are accumulating?
7) Do any of the instruments' names grate against your senses?
8.) Is one collecting more dust than the others?
9) Have the knobs broken off one yet?
10) Have you synthesized the voice of your favorite pet and saved it as a patch on one?
11) Are either of them carrying your child, or at least the crust of the effort?

Don't know what to tell you dude. You could do what I do, consult the magic 8 Ball.

-Jim
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:59 pm

definitely keep them both and get an MPC. I just got an MPC 60 fully upgraded and it's the best MPC I've played just because of it's sound quality and simplicity.

Because the mpc-60 is 12 bit and can do even more compressing it is like playing an analog drum machine or something, there is just a breathing magic to it and tightness that I've never experienced on other MPCs or Ableton live. I'll use it with ableton but I just can't believe how GOOD it sounds!
for sale/trade: EML-101