DJ Mixer?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
JackAstro

DJ Mixer?

Post by JackAstro » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:14 am

Who uses a DJ mixer with their synths/drum machines?

I was hoping to get a little more interactive with the mixing, and I think a DJ mixer would facilitate that. I have 2 low end mixers that are fine for turntables, but sound awful when I run Electribes through them.

Do any of you have a setup like this? What mixer do you use?

I have been very satisfied with my Macki mixer, so I was curious about the d.4 Pro. Anybody have experience with it? The d.4 has 2 resonant state variable filters which would seem to be nifty for transitions.

ramos

Re: DJ Mixer?

Post by ramos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:34 am

The Ecler's are the best bang for buck IMO.

Depending on how much you want to spend you could even get one with Midi...
Sh-101, tb-303, Juno-6, Jx-3p, TR-808, TR-707, TR-727,Oberheim DMX - Tascam m-312b + ghetto effects

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:24 pm

My favorite DJ mixer of all time (but maybe not what you're looking for- no cross fader, only global EQ, 6 bus, more of a line mixer I guess ) the Rane rotary mixer:
http://www.rane.com/mp2016s.html

Also used the Empath for years - bulletproof and smooth as butter, can't recommend it enough:
http://www.rane.com/empath.html

The Allen & Heath Xone mixers have filters, and more routing options with an AUX send/return bus (even the small one.) They also sound great - depending upon how much you'd like to spend, one of these might be the way to go.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:59 pm

I just used a Urei 1603 at a DJ gig last week and was really impressed by how it sounded (really nice EQ) and the build quality. I think they're pretty exxy though...

wrekkstylz

Post by wrekkstylz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:35 am

http://www.tablist.net/v2.5/node/1312

this is just me cutting over a loop. i used a delay pedal and i was just messing around with panning the sound.

i like the tascam xs-8 mixer. it's super cool. the mixers have nice cut ins and it has a nice warm sizzly sound but in no ways distorted. it's has the same components as the HAK 320 but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. They're about $200 or so

I have 2 synths (poly 800 + juno 60) and other line ins hooked up to a Tascam M-208 and the M-208 is hooked up to Line 1 on xs-8 and Line 2 is the turntable. that way i can add bass to the synths before it gets to my mixer. then when it hits my mixer i can further adjust the lo mids and highs. infact i could add a lot of bass with the m-208 and then cut the bass completely out with the mixer if i wanted.

the mixer has adjustable curves to which is cool cuz if you want you can wah wah your synths with the upfader or or fade in and out slow and make it sound like a pad.

i'll try to add audio of all that tomorrow i have to pass out now.