why macbooks?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
dthestampede

why macbooks?

Post by dthestampede » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:15 pm

i was considering a new laptop. research showed a lot of electronic acts seem to have macs in their setup as opposed to pc's , why? freakn mac's cost like more than double that of a pc. whats so special? my arguement is that i went to a best buy and seen a pc laptop with the spec's of most home computers for like 1g. the mac's on the other hand ranged from 24 hundo to 27 and had less hd space and ram. so whats the deal? are they worth it? or am i just paying for a name?
I am infected with noises in my brain, the sound of pain and it is constant. Soon I will release music so horrible that hopefully you too will be infected. Slayer, wolf eyes, johnny cash, justin timberlake f**king rock!

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: why macbooks?

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Many people, especially in the fields of graphic design and music, will swear up and down that you must have a Mac to do anything really creative. While this may have been true 10 or 15 years ago, today you can run nearly all the same programs on Macs and PC's.

I've used both; I've never noticed any drastic differences in functionality between the two. When I have a choice, I use PC's because they're generally cheaper, and I've been using them longer so they're more familiar.

I think the main argument for paying the extra money to get a Mac is if your someone who's been using them for years and you're very comfortable with the interface. You may save money with a PC, but having to rearrange your way of working may be enough of a hassle that it cancels out the financial gain.

Bottom line: stick with the format that you've learned and are comfortable with, and do plenty of research so that you can get the best machine in your price range. Buying a Mac (or any piece of gear) thinking it will give you some magic mojo that you were missing before is pure folly.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Quite. Having a Mac won't make you better at writing music, more creative, or leave you any change for lollipops. But they work. The OS is stable. They're easy to use. A desktop PC might be more configurable with expansion ports than an iMac, but if a laptop's where you're headed, you're probably not after reconfiguring the hardware. I've been using a modest little iBook G4 for 4 years, and it takes solid use for several hours every single day. Never had any problems with it at all, except early on when I didn't know the Mac way of doing things. The only issues it's ever thrown up were 3rd party software (browsers). By contrast, I've had so much trouble over the years with dektop PCs I switched to Macs and now use PCs for games/DOS/work stuff that won't run on OSX. When my iBook starts to fade, I'll buy another.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 pm

I use Macs because I'm shallow (I appreciate the design of their hardware) and because I like OSX more than Windows. I also like Logic. I just bought a new Macbook Pro... and I have to admit, it was rough paying $2000 for a laptop in 2009. I used both Windows and OSX for a few years side by side... and once I did that, I couldn't help but switch to all macs all the time. My advice is to stay ignorant if you are thrifty and don't bother trying a mac, you may like it and have to spend a lot more money. ;)
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 pm

I used to be a hardcore PC guy, I ran everything on acid pro 5 or 6 (whcihever was out at the time)

and I made the switch to mac and logic pro, and I've never looked back

everything is just easier to do, and the computer is way more reliable

I've been a computer technician at various companies and now at my school's library, so that opinion is not coming from my a*s, I've had to repair tons of pc's, including my own countless times

(i also own an IBM/lenovo thinkpad that never gets turned on)'

each OS has things they do which are retarted, like mac OS X not having a proper uninstall function, etc...

but for music, mac is definitely the way to go, there is way more compatible hardware and software

try using motu on a PC... it ain't happening
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:19 am

OF course,then you have guys like me, who don't have the stability problems with their PCS that everyone else seems to. When in college (two years ago) I worked in the IT office helping maintain the (OSX, dual G4s/G5s) editing systems, and those machines had more problems than the PC 'workstations' when i worked in IT at a VFX Studio.

Its a thing that came out of when windows didn't do music very well, and Macs were also the DTP king- then the web design king. People think that they are 'more creative" and with OSX, "more reliable". But in my industry, they aren't actually used that much at a studio level.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:44 am

In 2 years of having a mac, it has never said "sorry *insert technical jargon* and needs to be shut down".

As someone who only uses computers to record with and to use the internet, I find a mac to be so much more user friendly.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:17 am

It's really just a preference thing. A lot of bigger acts will use a mac cause the hardware is nicely designed, the OS is stable and most drivers are well written and they're getting paid to perform so they don't have to pinch pennies. If you wanted to set up a windows machine and maintain it I'm sure you could perform just as well with that as you could with a mac.

There's no secret thing that makes your music better with a mac so if you don't have the cash to spend then don't get one.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:41 am

It's a preference thing. I am not saying every mac user is computer illiterate but that's what it looks like they are marketing to. You know don't worry about a Mac crashing, maintenance or whatever. "It just works." Regardless macs crash too.

Just like I wrote in some other thread my friend has been having trouble with his Macbook. He is slightly above the average person and can somewhat troubleshoot. He took it in, they slightly damaged the case, and got it back. Still works weird dropping wireless connectivity.
Ashe37 wrote:OF course,then you have guys like me, who don't have the stability problems with their PCS that everyone else seems to.
Ditto. My XP machine has been running the same since I built it like 6 or so years ago. I picked out all the parts to my liking. When Windows 7 rolls around I am def due to get a new machine.
Joey wrote:but for music, mac is definitely the way to go, there is way more compatible hardware and software
I would like to see a list to solidify the claim. I mean is there really?
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
Joey wrote:but for music, mac is definitely the way to go, there is way more compatible hardware and software
try using any motu hardware on a pc

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:48 am

Joey wrote:
RobotHeroes wrote:
try using any motu hardware on a pc
Nothing is completely bug free especially initial release. I have heard that Motu is supported better for Mac's but that's just one of many interfaces. My friend had a Motu 828 MKII and was using it on an XP machine. He said it worked fine but wasn't recording much so he sold it. He had it for a good while too.*shrugs*
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:58 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
Nothing is completely bug free especially initial release. I have heard that Motu is supported better for Mac's but that's just one of many interfaces. My friend had a Motu 828 MKII and was using it on an XP machine. He said it worked fine but wasn't recording much so he sold it. He had it for a good while too.*shrugs*

most of the time I hear horror stories about motu and PC because of some firewire configuration errors or who knows what

anyway, mac just has more options when it comes to music, most major studios use macs if that says anything...

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:25 am

better operating system, everything is more logical plus there are no "service packs" to f**k up your computer. unix core is better.

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 am

My 2cents on macs:
They are more intuitive and the stay out of your way (no annoying popups or constant updates and other bells & whistle doo dads or spam built in to the OS to distract you from simply launching an app and getting straight to work).
Retired admin. Please do not PM me for support.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Bear in mind that Macbooks no longer have firewire, so for any reasonably serious work you will have to drop the coin down for a MBP. Most major studios use macs because they can make you, their customer pay for it. And as far as having "more" music options where's Sequoia/Sampltude for OSX? Or FL? Or Vegas? Remember, it's a fricking toaster, not a fashion statement. You get out what you put in...