why macbooks?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: why macbooks?

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Altitude wrote:Bear in mind that Macbooks no longer have firewire...
They've upgraded the spec of the basic white one and kept firewire on that. It's £719.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:06 pm

Altitude, while that is true, anyone who is serious is going to buy the Macbook Pro anyway. Additionally, most serious musicians aren't using the cheapest PC laptop from Best Buy either.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:36 pm

JSRockit wrote:Altitude, while that is true, anyone who is serious is going to buy the Macbook Pro anyway. Additionally, most serious musicians aren't using the cheapest PC laptop from Best Buy either.
You sayin' I'm not serious? :wink:

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 pm

JSRockit wrote:Altitude, while that is true, anyone who is serious is going to buy the Macbook Pro anyway. Additionally, most serious musicians aren't using the cheapest PC laptop from Best Buy either.
I don't have a Pro, and I'm pretty serious - I haven't had fun since 1992...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:02 pm

It's mostly historical, Macs had an edge in music apps for many years so this carried over into laptop usage...if you're using a Mac in the studio why would you want a Windows laptop for gigging? Until the MacBook Air all MacBooks had Firewire out of the box, another selling point.
RobotHeroes wrote:
Joey wrote:but for music, mac is definitely the way to go, there is way more compatible hardware and software
I would like to see a list to solidify the claim. I mean is there really?
Software definitely not, the list of Windows only SW dwarfs the list of Mac only SW especially in freeware. Of the "big names" Windows only has FL, Cakewalk and Acid/Vegas while Mac only has Logic and DP.

Hardware you can make a weak argument because Firewire has long been native to Macs while in Windows it's usually an add-on which requires drivers which can cause conflicts, etc. but like the SW, HW vendors for the most part support both platforms for obvious reasons.
Last edited by meatballfulton on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:07 pm

What am I am saying is that if you "need" firewire due to some expensive interface with high end converters (serious musician / studio / beatmaker, etc making money), then the Macbook Pro is just a small price to pay compared to the rest of the studio. In the grandscheme of things, the computer, even if a Macbook Pro, is one of the cheaper things in a studio. I'm not talking about us, and of course there are exceptions, but if you are concerned with the difference in price between a PC and a Mac, then you are probably in the category where you aren't making money with your music. So, I guess serious is not the right term. As far as a consumer...there are loads of USB interfaces for the Macbook which will do the job.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:12 am

vintagesynth wrote:My 2cents on macs:
They are more intuitive and the stay out of your way (no annoying popups or constant updates and other bells & whistle doo dads or spam built in to the OS to distract you from simply launching an app and getting straight to work).
I call bullshit. Spam built into the systems? Can't launch apps? Distract you? Sounds like a bunch of noob talk. Like seriously does a circus parade across the screen to distract you from launching apps?

I have apps set to shortcut buttons on my keyboard and they launch right away. I don't get popups or constant updates going on. If you don't want it turn it off it's that simple. It isn't rocket science although people act like it is.

Any more frivolous claims?
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:22 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
vintagesynth wrote:My 2cents on macs:
They are more intuitive and the stay out of your way (no annoying popups or constant updates and other bells & whistle doo dads or spam built in to the OS to distract you from simply launching an app and getting straight to work).
I call bullshit. Spam built into the systems? Can't launch apps? Distract you? Sounds like a bunch of noob talk. Like seriously does a circus parade across the screen to distract you from launching apps?

I have apps set to shortcut buttons on my keyboard and they launch right away. I don't get popups or constant updates going on. If you don't want it turn it off it's that simple. It isn't rocket science although people act like it is.
Funny you should mention that but I just put 'NASA computer' into Google image search and this is what the first link was:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/multim ... tware.html

I would link the picture but it's 3000 pixels wide.

Anyway, click the link and have a look at what OS he's using.

That, my friend, is definitive proof Windows IS rocket science. :D

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:29 am

Well if it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for me. :)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 am

Joey wrote:
RobotHeroes wrote:
Joey wrote:but for music, mac is definitely the way to go, there is way more compatible hardware and software
I would like to see a list to solidify the claim. I mean is there really?
try using any motu hardware on a pc
Try buying a decent graphics card for a mac from anyone except apple.
most major studios use macs if that says anything...
Which major studios? Alot of them are using PCs with Pro Tools, because Apple's current OS broke some of their $25,000 pro tools hardware.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
Which major studios? Alot of them are using PCs with Pro Tools, because Apple's current OS broke some of their $25,000 pro tools hardware.
Elaborate please...

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Most of the people are on mac, because of the design, and the name.

A PC user, with a correct mounted computer, that is not surfing on all sex websites and warez sites can have a computer that is equally reliable than one that is working on OS-X.

I'm on Apple since 1985, and stay with mac because i know how it works. My last Powerbook was from 2000, and i kept it until november 2008 when i bought the MacBook pro 15'. 8 years of perfect services, that's really good. Now it's really outdated with the 400 Mhz Processor...But it's still working for surfing at home !

And at work, i have an IBM laptop (lenovo). Works very well too (XP)! No complaint. And the price is even higher than the MacBookPro...
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Which major studios? Alot of them are using PCs with Pro Tools, because Apple's current OS broke some of their $25,000 pro tools hardware.
I call bullshit on that. Studios (anyone who's serious about recording with PT actually, myself included) don't upgrade their OS until it's been fully qualified by Digidesign, and then they usually wait a few months just to make sure it's really OK. This is why most studios I've been in and worked in are usually one point upgrade behind whatever's current.

A lot of people complained when Digi took a while to release a PCIe version of the HD cards which meant that they had to keep using older PCI-X machines, but that's got nothing to do with Apple's OS. In the mean time their old PCI-X HD cards kept working though, and when you're running a professional studio you want to spend as much time as possible with a fully functional system and as little time as possible upgrading. Nobody really gives a s**t if the studio you're in is running the latest OS, they just want it to work properly the whole time you've paid to be there.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm

spookyman wrote:A PC user, with a correct mounted computer, that is not surfing on all sex websites and warez sites can have a computer that is equally reliable than one that is working on OS-X.
I think that might be the reason there! When you're on tour away from home you want to be downloading the pr0n and then still be able to rock up to the gig the next night with a working computer. :D These 'creative mac types' are just filthy pervs. :la:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:27 pm

spookyman wrote:
Most of the people are on mac, because of the design, and the name.

A PC user, with a correct mounted computer, that is not surfing on all sex websites and warez sites can have a computer that is equally reliable than one that is working on OS-X.
Like I said, I used both together at the same time for years...and then moved to an all mac set-up because I like it better. I think most PC users can't get it through their heads that we buy them not only for their looks, but for the way the computers stay out of our way and let us do whatever we want with little nonsence. While this can occur on a PC too, I just prefer to use a mac after a side by side comparison of many years. I could care less about the name... the brand is ubiquitous these days and that is never cool right?