why macbooks?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: why macbooks?

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:01 am

As far as D/A converters go, new Macs are PCs. I believe Macbook/Pros have the same Intel ICH7 Integrated Audio / Sigmatel HD Audio combo that most other laptops have.
Not the new ones... remember, Apple dumped the Intel chipsets in the newer Macbooks.

The older ones? who knows... Apple ain't tellin.

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:46 am

Ive been a PC guy for many years, but I recently picked up a macbook and I am very happy with it. I got mine used off of Craig's List, so I saved a good amount of money. I don't think its a necessity to have one if you are doing electronic music. Moreso a preference. I love the OS and I just like the layout and design of the computer. Also, Logic is a great program, Im starting to really become fond of it.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Post by MPrint » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:55 am

Altitude wrote:Bear in mind that Macbooks no longer have firewire
Bought mine two weeks before the switch. Talk about perfect timing, free ipod touch too.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 pm

MPrint wrote:
Bought mine two weeks before the switch. Talk about perfect timing, free ipod touch too.

BTW, Apparently that's not the case anymore.. AFAIK, all of them have FW800 now

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:02 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
As far as D/A converters go, new Macs are PCs. I believe Macbook/Pros have the same Intel ICH7 Integrated Audio / Sigmatel HD Audio combo that most other laptops have.
Not the new ones... remember, Apple dumped the Intel chipsets in the newer Macbooks.

The older ones? who knows... Apple ain't tellin.
You're right - the new unibody Macbooks/Pros have switched to using Realtek ALC885 for 7.1 audio.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:12 pm

Altitude wrote:
MPrint wrote:

BTW, Apparently that's not the case anymore.. AFAIK, all of them have FW800 now
No.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:10 pm

A Mac is like buying an Audi with the hood welded shut.

A PC is like a Jeep with dirt in the gas line.

The fact that we've been so brainwashed to think either system is better than the other (or even acceptable as-is) is a monument to advertising and pop culture.

As a graphic artist and musician I've used both. Both suck for different reasons. At home I use PC simply because I can build them myself and save a lot of money for the kind of performance I require.

Re: Mac vs PC? ;D

A Mac is like buying an Audi with the hood welded shut.

The fact that we've been so brainwashed to think either system is better than the other (or even acceptable as-is) is a monument to advertising and pop culture.

As a graphic artist and musician I've used both. Both suck for different reasons. At home I use PC simply because I can build them myself and save a lot of money for the kind of performance I require.

I've run a full-blown Pro Tools MIX+ TDM system with a 1622 and a 882/20 interface on a PC since 2003 with no problems whatsoever...of course, that's all I run on that system. ;)
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:02 am

carbon111 wrote:A Mac is like buying an Audi with the hood welded shut.
you can still buy a blowtorch set for really cheap:
goes back to Intel/AMD antitrust litigation...

MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Post by MPrint » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:34 pm

carbon111 wrote:A Mac is like buying an Audi with the hood welded shut.

I can't agree with that. Sure mac has spiffy new ads to appeal to pop-culture, but there are those of us who are not affected by advertising and just know what is better. Personally I think the mac guy is kind of a douche anyway so..... I have used pc's for a very long time and have had less than stellar results. After wanting a mac for so long, I finally got one. Haven't had any problems and it has far exceeded my expectations. I hear so many pc guys say that they can get an equivalent system on Pc by rewiring this, upgraded that, and maintaining it by doing all this. OR, I could just by a mac, done. Had a similar topic on a dj website, here was my post:

If your looking for stability and ease of use, the mac is what you want. Most everything is "plug and play" on the mac, whereas on pc platforms you will have to take extensive steps to install software. Plus you get a pretty decent DAW, movie editor, photo program, and backup program all installed in the OS already. Value is the key word here. You can get a similar spec pc for a bit cheaper, but you'll find that you will spend more money in the long run and have more headache causing problems. I run torrent programs to get movies and music programs that I don't really have the coin for. Something I would never even think about doing on a pc due to the high virus probability.

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:17 pm

I've been working for 3 years in a trouble-free PC XP environment, running a RME fireface 800 via firewire, and sometimes I completely forget that I'm working on a PC.

Even the cheapest PC nowadays will deliver you more processing power than any multitrack analog tape of the 70's ever could. With that in mind, earlier this year I bought and customized one of those Asus EEE netbooks for live gigs, and it's been paradise ever since. A macbook? Oh, if i were to buy a macbook, I'd rather invest the same amount on 2 EEE pcs! :)

If one spends 12 hours a week configuring his computer and 6 hours making music, then there's a problem.

The bottom line is: you should invest in something that lets you concentrate in your music only.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Logic, Metric Halo +DSP, and Numerology are three audio reasons I prefer a Mac.

High-end graphic arts workflow and tools are another reason I prefer a Mac.

Nothing wrong with a PC though, and if I used one for music I am sure I would adapt to the situation.

cheers,
Ian

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:52 pm

my moto 828 mk II works fine on my PC
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:15 pm

guillermotin wrote: I bought and customized one of those Asus EEE netbooks for live gigs, and it's been paradise ever since.
Curious about your customization. I've looked into those and it seems the CPU is too slow and not enough RAM to run music apps (in my case Live 7).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
guillermotin wrote: I bought and customized one of those Asus EEE netbooks for live gigs, and it's been paradise ever since.
Curious about your customization. I've looked into those and it seems the CPU is too slow and not enough RAM to run music apps (in my case Live 7).

Actually, it was nothing extraordinary.

I'm using the first EEE that came out, the 701, by far the slowest and most limited of the family (but also the smallest). I basically swapped the original RAM (512 mb) with 2gb, installed an 16gb high-speed SDHC from Sandisk I had bought for my camera, and completely wiped out all the rubbish on windows XP. I'm also using an overclocking application that doubles the CPU speed and takes care of the fan speed at the same time, and sometimes I use an external usb hard drive for backup.

There's a whole community of geeks working to hack EEE pcs. I found all these at http://forum.eeeuser.com/

As for the audio applications, I'm using it with a standard M-Audio FastTrack Pro, and:
- I managed to install and run smoothly almost all the soft-synths I normally run on my desktop, including Reaktor and Kontakt. It can runs 2 or 3 of them at the same time.
- It runs Ableton Live 7 and ACID 6 flawlessly, provided that they are't filled with too much unnecessary tracks and plugins. I use Live 7 in my gigs, great for triggering samples.
- It records perfectly too, although I haven't tested it with multitrack sessions.

Portability is the major advantage: the EEE's got the same size as a one-inch pile of comic books, nicely stands on the top of many synthesizers, the battery lasts for almost 3 hours, and it costed me no more than 300 euros. :)

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:25 pm

I've been thinking of picking up a Dell netbook - they're like $200 right now. Would be cool to sit outside with headphones and program some beats.