Recession, what recession?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Re: Recession, what recession?

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:51 am

honestly, craisglist wasn't doing anything at all, then suddenly in the last few week, I spend every day trying to resist deals on craigslist....

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:42 am

OriginalJambo wrote: We'll see Joey - I should add that I'm not expecting it to sound like an 808 or 909 though, if that's what you mean.
as long as you stick an FX box after it, i think it can do some really surprising stuff. even a nice distortion can add some punch and "crack" to its beyond-anemic snares.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 pm

It's true from the demos I've heard that the snare isn't exactly massive. However, it's still seems unique and rather usable if ya ask me. I understand many would rather break out the 808/909 samples like almost everyone else for snares, but sometimes you want something that's a little less in your face.

To me it's a bit like distortion, compression, reverb - more isn't always better.
rockmanrock wrote:Demo of the bleepy fun you can have with one:

ER1 Mk2
Thanks rockman - good, lengthy demo that's definitely giving me more of an idea of what to expect. Are these mostly preset patterns? The snare at 0:52 - 1:00 sounds fine to me. :D

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:21 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:It's true from the demos I've heard that the snare isn't exactly massive. However, it's still seems unique and rather usable if ya ask me. I understand many would rather break out the 808/909 samples like almost everyone else for snares, but sometimes you want something that's a little less in your face.

To me it's a bit like distortion, compression, reverb - more isn't always better.
Yes it's definitely not a replacement for the Rolands in terms of sound, more of an abstract percussion synth with a brilliant X0X interface.
OriginalJambo wrote: Thanks rockman - good, lengthy demo that's definitely giving me more of an idea of what to expect. Are these mostly preset patterns? The snare at 0:52 - 1:00 sounds fine to me. :D
The heavier snares in this demo are mostly 2 sounds layered, and I concur the single sound snares can be a bit weak. These are the first 40 of my own patterns (all 1 bar long), mostly in an electro sort of style. The Korg ones are I would say flashier, usually 2 or 4 bars long and try to cover all sorts of stuff from house to drum and bass. I've seen it recommended that you wipe all the presets when you get it so you don't end up being tempted to use them co they are likely to crop up on other people's music and they're rather distinctive.

I can see why some people complain about the sound, with my analogue snob hat on there is something about the sound that is 'not quite there'. I've had it for ages but not used it in any proper music so I can't really comment on how well it works with other sound sources, this guy on Youtube seems to make it sing. At their current prices though there's no grounds for any real complaints, they're a lot of fun.

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:59 pm

I had a ER1 once back in 2004. Sold it in favor of the EMX-1. At that point I just wanted decent drums. It definitely would have a place in my setup now.

I dont think the EMX would come back as strong as the early electribe. The early ones had such quirky strange things about them that made them what they are. The EMX is a workhorse.

I wonder if there will be a vintage VA comeback in the future. Since most of them failed at analog emulation, people I would imagine would be exploiting them more for their digital characteristics more than anything.

Malpine Walis

Post by Malpine Walis » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:55 pm

synthmax wrote:Anyone notice that prices on preowned stuff on eBay have gone up rather than down? Perhaps people are piling into better values? Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me.

What do you thinK?
OK, gear discussion aside, let me work the original question here.

Ebay is a place to get what you want. It is not the place to get what you need.

As an example, if you have a home entertainment system that is so expensive that the cost of Monster cable gets lost in your budget, then good for you. However, for the majority of people, the cheap stuff sounds just as good. On the other hand, for stuff that I take around to different places, well, I have chopped cables in the past. Should I need a cable on short notice, Monster is my friend.

Basically, I use ebay for stuff that I can get good deals on. If a seller starts an auction at 100% of retail or sets a “buy it now” price at that level, I regard that seller as an ebay predator. They are trying to find people who are willing to pay more than something is worth. I will not waste my time on such auctions.

For stuff that I want, I have the luxury of time. I can wait for the right auction for me. It may take a few weeks or even months before I find that auction but when I do, the good deal is there. A huge part of that is that the specific auction is ready for a last few seconds snipe. So I pretty much never pay more than half price for anything on ebay.

On some other forums where I am better known, this has become termed “doing a Malpine”.

I don't really know what other people are doing but I use ebay as a way to scoop up cheap stuff. If I was forced to inventory my gear, I would probably come to having paid like $5,000 over the years for stuff that had original MSRP's totaling like $10,000.
Current gear:

Korg X5 (basically an ROMpler)
Casio VZ 10M (rack mount 80's style synth-- think DX7 on steroids)
Roland A 37 (6+ octave controller for the Casio rack unit above)
Roland JP 8000 (well enough known analog modeling digital synth)

JBL

Post by JBL » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:46 pm

I just got my ER-1 Mk2 is mint condition for the equivalent of 85 pounds and I'm pretty happy with it. Yes the snares are really, really bad, but most of the time, I do click sounds with it.. the crash and hclap are nice click sounds with a really short decay.

I don't think the electribes are going to be tomorrow's 303's 808's or 909's.. I don't think we'll see new genres and hear their specific sounds (which aren't that specific anyway) everywhere in techno music...

Anyway, I love their interface, they are fun to use.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:35 pm

Odd time for buying as either prices are going up with the rising euro and falling £/$ resulting in folk wanting to invest in something stable or on the other hand people are desperate for cash and are often looking for a quick sale so there are some bargains to be had too.