In need of a rhythmic beast

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

In need of a rhythmic beast

Post by premieklovn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi

We're thinking about getting rid of our TR707 and Oberheim DX to buy a new, stable and a*s kicking drum machine and we need your advise.

We're considering:

Jomox Xbase999
Jomox Xbase888
Elektron Machinedrum

Is there any other high-end drum machines to consider? There's the Vermona but we really need to have an on-board sequencer. Separates outs is also important. We have an Akai MPC500 so sampling ability is not a must.
I've heard some demos of the Elektron and it seems nice but it seems like a menu-diving box with a lot more features than we really need. I also like to have an intuitive interface. Is the Elektron fairly easy to use? I've read that the Jomox machines can sometimes be a b***h to handle and that the software sometimes act weird. Anyone here experienced that?

HELP!

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: In need of a rhythmic beast

Post by iProg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Jomox is probably what you're looking for!

Jeg trenger en ny maskin også! skriv til meg om ni vill salge DXan ;)

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:47 am

here's where we all roll in, and say the one we own is the best ever...I am going to try and avoid that...
I do think the Elektron Machinedrum is by far and away the easiest, most amazing to use drum machine I have owned...the sample mangling possible in the UW is incredible...seriously, not a menu diver at all...thing is, I want both...the MD is amazing, I love the sounds, but I am looking for something a bit beefier to add into the mix, something like a jomox, or possibly like the concussor modules...overall, the MD is the center of my studio...

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:26 pm

hyphen nation wrote:here's where we all roll in, and say the one we own is the best ever...I am going to try and avoid that...
I do think the Elektron Machinedrum is by far and away the easiest, most amazing to use drum machine I have owned...the sample mangling possible in the UW is incredible...seriously, not a menu diver at all...thing is, I want both...the MD is amazing, I love the sounds, but I am looking for something a bit beefier to add into the mix, something like a jomox, or possibly like the concussor modules...overall, the MD is the center of my studio...
I've actually read the people like to mix the "coldness" of the Machinedrum with the beefyness of the Jomox. Sadly we can't afford both. What I am a bit afraid of is that the Jomox will sound VERY 808/909ish and well those sounds gets old pretty fast. Do you have any demos of the Machinedrum laying around?

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:53 pm

you know, I don't [too lazy to record as of late], but the listening lounge over on the Elektron forum has tons, also the compilation Actuel put together in memory of Daniel [elektron guy who died] is great, regardless if it was made on Elektron gear or not...it's like $5...

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:50 pm

hyphen nation wrote:you know, I don't [too lazy to record as of late], but the listening lounge over on the Elektron forum has tons, also the compilation Actuel put together in memory of Daniel [elektron guy who died] is great, regardless if it was made on Elektron gear or not...it's like $5...
Thanks. I checked out the elektron-forum but there's so many IDM/Minimal house examples. I would love to hear a demo with it mainly functioning as a drum machine.

dthestampede

Post by dthestampede » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:41 pm

i can say from my expeirence with elektron is, that its extremely simple to use but hard to contain. at least with my mnm. its so easy to lay down a groove and tweak away. my problem is that i keep tweaking everything to death. sometimes i wish it was just a little simpler i guess. elektrons are menu diving monsters, not really in a bad way but none the less.
I am infected with noises in my brain, the sound of pain and it is constant. Soon I will release music so horrible that hopefully you too will be infected. Slayer, wolf eyes, johnny cash, justin timberlake f**king rock!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Ok, so you are used to sample based machines...the 707 and DX are not the big warm round type of fat... I'd say that you may as well go for the Machinedrum based on what you are used to. The Jomox machines are wonderful, but in a really analog way. However, putting samples of the DX and 707 in a 888 makes them really nice as well... 8 bit, Analog VCA, etc. Man, hard decision.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Well, we can't tell you what to buy. I've been through that many drum machines in the past ie:
CR-78, TR-808, TR-909 etc etc. But i know for sure i've settled on my MD-UW's, because they
are so creatively usefull and instantaneous all at the same time.

As for menu-diving, no there isn't that a great deal, once you know what your doing, it becomes
second nature, and there is a lot of tweakability in there.

The Machinedrum can sound beefy, if you process and EQ it properly. There is a compressor
effect on the MD, and good EQ'n on a mixing desk should add that little bit extra in there.

All types of drum machines can either sound thick or thin. You best go with what you feel,
after all it is your money you are spending.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:24 am

JSRockit wrote:Ok, so you are used to sample based machines...the 707 and DX are not the big warm round type of fat... I'd say that you may as well go for the Machinedrum based on what you are used to. The Jomox machines are wonderful, but in a really analog way. However, putting samples of the DX and 707 in a 888 makes them really nice as well... 8 bit, Analog VCA, etc. Man, hard decision.
Yeah but we're starting to dive into house-land so analog and "electronic" is not bad. We're not trying to reproduce something ala TR707/DX (we have a MPC for that), we're trying to get some new sounds.
Absolutely a hard decision but I guess both are really good so you can't go "wrong".

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:50 pm

I actually ending up getting a Vermona DRM1 MKII because it was a lot cheaper than the MD or Jomox (used). It's hopefully on it's way right now! I have an EMX-1 so the sequencer problem is solved, I guess.

I found some really nice examples on the interwebz:

Full song - Vermona DRM1 only

Any of you use the DRM1?

premieklovn

Post by premieklovn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:15 am

Tried out the Vermona at last nights rehearsal and wow this thing sounds good. It cuts through the mix and all of the sounds are really hmm.. in lack of a better word, "creamy". The kick is great and the clap is wonderful. Hihats are great and I love the fact that you can tweak the sounds into noise mayhem. I also enjoy the built quality. It feels boutique.

cheers!

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:10 pm

nice! Always wanted a Vermona, so many knobs! It's like an hugely improved and good-sounding ER-1 :)

*adding drm mk3 to the ever growing GAS-list..*

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:45 pm

premieklovn wrote:Tried out the Vermona at last nights rehearsal and wow this thing sounds good. It cuts through the mix and all of the sounds are really hmm.. in lack of a better word, "creamy". The kick is great and the clap is wonderful. Hihats are great and I love the fact that you can tweak the sounds into noise mayhem. I also enjoy the built quality. It feels boutique.

cheers!
Indeed, the sound is terrific.

In my new studio there is a MINT TR-909 so I'm fine with analog drum machines for a while :D

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

the vermona is much more than an 808/909 clone
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com