yamaha motif rack es

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ross308
Band: November's Ego

yamaha motif rack es

Post by ross308 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:14 pm

i've found a yamaha motif rack ES in a pawn shop . i am considering buying it . the seller is looking for the power adapter at this very moment so i can try it. i managed to deal it for 400 $ CND with a 2U gator case. and a sustain pedal ! but its not bought yet . is that a good deal? i mostly have old synth's and i was looking for something from our times. if anybody have something constructive to say about this synth it would be of great help. thanks!

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Re: yamaha motif rack es

Post by Ry-Fi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Is it a good deal? Yes, especially considering the Gator case. Is it what you want? Can't tell you. I've played a non-ES Motif, and it has its strengths and weaknesses, but it definitely has a variety of some good useable sounds. Good drums, pianos, organs, synths, bass gtr, FX, okay strings, reeds, elec gtr, crappy brass, sax. The ES and later allegedly only get better, so I imagine there are lots of good sounds. That's all I can weakly contribute though. Hopefully someone else has more to say.

As you plan to be doing, definitely take a MIDI controller and some headphones to the pawn shop and play it for as long as you can. That should really let you come to your own conclusion on the matter. Have fun, and report back!

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:34 am

The Rack ES is a fine ROMpler. It's strengths are in its samples of real instruments. I have a Triton and a Motif ES and both complement each other. Triton is a great pad machine and the Motif is great for real instruments. They go for about $550 - $650 here in the States and a new one can be had for about $750. So you do the math. This is of coarse mint condition.
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:52 am

Then if I found one in that price I would get it right away. Get I wil get of of you if you want. I saw motif ravk not and regular on ebay for 500. I was about to get it, but I will way for a good opportunitie on and es or xs.

ross308

Post by ross308 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:38 am

it's done. i just bought the Motif es Rack . i just plugged it in my mixer. i think it will be a useful unit. it's the opposite of most of my synths . it's not the kind of sound i can fetish but once in a while a nice clean sound can be appropriate. i will use it throughout the weekend and let you know what i think of it with more credibility.

i ended up paying 420$ CND tax included with the 2U gator case and usb wire. there'S only one small bug, i dont have the original AC converter (yamaha pa-300). i got one that works but it doesnt have the exact same spec. . it should be 16 V 2.4 A but it is 15 V 3 A . if anyone know were i can find a used or reasonably priced PA-300/PA-301 or equivalent please let me know. what do you guys think about using this power adapter . should i not worry, should i be paranoid about roasting my machine or about it not working properly?

thank for your reply's. i will report my experiences with my new digital friend

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Post by Ry-Fi » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:41 am

Cool, congrats! That's a VERY nice score, which I'd certainly snag (er, if I weren't totally broke-a*s right now...)

I wouldn't sweat it about the power adapter. If it's running fine on 15V, then I'd say you're good. The difference between 15V and 16V is 7%, and most electronics are happy with +/- 10%. Since you're under, you probably can't blow anything, but maybe could cause sketchyness. If it ever glitches on you, then I WOULD probably remedy the situation.

Have a blast!!

ross308

Post by ross308 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:29 pm

i used it yesterday in a little jam and it proved to be useful. however from now on i will stop calling it a synth . it'S more like an instrument library , and a great one... and a seemingly endless one!! used along with my analog gear it becomes part of a greater synth. i like to use it as a layer underneath my mopho. i get the richness of analog with the crisp clearness of state of the art acoustic instrument samples. by its own it lack character for my taste but merged with something or in a mix it's like a poor man's heaven. yeah ! this baby has beautiful sounds out of the box just waiting to be animated. i think i wont regret that deal.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:23 am

I have a motif rack question- can you put *two* of the AN virtual analog cards in one? it would be like having two AN-1Xs....

ross308

Post by ross308 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:26 am

Ashe37 wrote:I have a motif rack question- can you put *two* of the AN virtual analog cards in one? it would be like having two AN-1Xs....
i just found this on an other forum :

"" Get the ES, and stick a pair of PLG150AN cards in it. For dance and techno it's a must-have! The piano can more than hold it's own too... and if you need a better one, they got a card for that too :) I love modular synthesis expansion :) ""

according to that guy you can do it . i have the motif ES . i wonder if it would be worth doing. at least i could put one of them in.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:20 am

One of them gives you an AN-1X onboard, without the extra keyboard. Since AN-1Xs are bitimbral, (IIRC the AN cards are too) it gives you two voices. Two would give you four AN-1X voices, and relatively easy to use software (and HUNDREDS of patches online) of virtual analog in addition to the Motif's voices (the AN card's voices don't cut into the polyphony of the Motif) for what i think is a reasonable price (you can pick up an AN card for around $100 in the 'Bay)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:32 pm

The AN cards are not bitimbral and they only do 5 voices each (AN1x is 10 voices). You can't do splits/layers and morphing is more limited.

So it's more like half an AN1x. Still a worthwhile investment if you want to add some VA sonics (I have 3 in my ES6), just don't expect knobby access.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks, important information...