1.05 meter size limit for packages to the US. New?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
SickMonkey

1.05 meter size limit for packages to the US. New?

Post by SickMonkey » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:37 am

(Mods: Not sure which forum this goes in. Feel free to move it.)

Here I was, casually trying to sell some stuff on the 'bay (specifically a broken but really beautiful polysix, btw). To date, I've mostly sold stuff to Europe, but now I've got some potential buyers in the US as well. So, I go and check the size limits for postal packages sent to the US (from Japan, but it should apply from any country I guess) and find that the maximum package length is 1.05 meters, which is generally not enough for a 61 key synth with packaging. I was not aware of this, has it been changed recently? (The more expensive EMS shipping has a 1.5 meter limit, though)

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Re: 1.05 meter size limit for packages to the US. New?

Post by Electroluver » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:18 pm

The Japan Post website explains: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/servic ... el_en.html

The US has the smaller size limit, whereas Canada is allowed 1.5 meters. EMS is 1.5 meters for both countries as well as a weight limitation of 30kg. In my case, I shipped a Jupiter 4 weighing in at 29.7 kg and 1.48 meters, talk about a close call.

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:25 am

It's really annoying. Grumble grumble.

The 1.05 limit totally foils my grand plan of supplying M1's to the tejano masses.
Electroluver wrote:The Japan Post website explains: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/servic ... el_en.html

The US has the smaller size limit, whereas Canada is allowed 1.5 meters. EMS is 1.5 meters for both countries as well as a weight limitation of 30kg. In my case, I shipped a Jupiter 4 weighing in at 29.7 kg and 1.48 meters, talk about a close call.
:) Yeah, every visit to the post office is exciting (both for me and for the staff). Currently, i'm worrying about my Polysix. With packaging, my scale says it weighs 19.9 kg (the limit to Spain's 20). Hope my scales are accurate...

BTW, i think i forgot to answer your ebay message from ages ago, sorry. Anyway, I don't really have the time or equipment to make any 106-fix-movies, but it's not too difficult. The only problem is that You'll need to buy more junos just to harvest their chips, which gradually fills Your entire home with useless-but-it-would-be-a-shame-to-throw-them-away juno cadavers... :roll:

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Post by Electroluver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Roland should make replacement chips and sell them cheap for their mistake. It's unfair to have to scrap 106's for parts. Someone will eventually make a youtube video. **Someone did**

On a side note, I don't regret pouring in my saving to buying synths. There's enough Gaijin over here spend their cash at bars to make up for my lack of patronage. My only wish is to continue finding good deals, selling at low prices, and making good music.

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:37 am

Electroluver wrote:Roland should make replacement chips and sell them cheap for their mistake. It's unfair to have to scrap 106's for parts. Someone will eventually make a youtube video. **Someone did**

Nice. Some small points, though:

It's not that difficult to desolder broken chips without breaking the pins, with a bit of practice. Use a solder-sucker (best 105 yen i ever spent!) rather than the braid thingy.

I don't solder the replacement chips directly to the board, i use sockets instead.

In my experience, the filter always needs to be calibrated on the replaced chips. It's not really audible in normal use, but bring the filter up to self oscillation (and turn off the normal oscillators) and it will almost certainly be out of tune with the others.
Electroluver wrote: On a side note, I don't regret pouring in my saving to buying synths. There's enough Gaijin over here spend their cash at bars to make up for my lack of patronage. My only wish is to continue finding good deals, selling at low prices, and making good music.
Well, I've been able to support the domestic beer industry while still buying more synths than i'm able to fit in my tiny little room... :wink: