Vintage Sampler Showdown

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Re: Vintage Sampler Showdown

Post by piRoN » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:07 am

HD disks formatted as DD aren't very reliable though. DD drives use a weaker magnetic field to write the data, so you tend to get data rot on certain drive units.

If I try to use HD disks in my S50 for instance, the disk will sometimes be corrupted within a week. That said, my EPS-m works absolutely fine with them.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

JB
Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

Post by JB » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:29 am

Yes, sorry, I can't vouch for anything other than an EPS & SQ80 for using HDs as DDs - it must be an ensoniq thing :)

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:45 pm

Joey wrote:well one of the requirements here was that it has a keyboard

so if i'm buying a keyboard sampler i might as well get one with analog filters

i'm more interested in the character of sound rather than feature set, i want to use it as a synth with sampled waveforms basically

like the nord wave, but way cheaper
I'd say go with the DSS-1, then. I bought one very quickly after I heard it and I haven't regretted it since. You can sample anything and then send it through the filters, loop the sample, etc. The layout is relatively easy to understand, just sometimes visualizing the sound itself can be troublesome. The main problem is you need a computer with DOS.. like Win98 or below to make your own DD disks from samples online. Also DD disks are a little hard to come by.

What I have is a disk of waveforms and then just edit from that. Works well once you have what you need.. and the sound is quite amazing. It can sound like a great analog, digital, or sampler synth. This synth also will not be expensive for what you get. I bought mine for around $130 plus shipping and it came with 5 blank disks and 30 preset disks.. most of which have multiple sounds. So to me, it seems like this would be for you. I haven't used the others, though. If you have access to the older technology to cater to this instrument, it really shines.
Well fffff.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:27 pm

I use to have a Korg DSS 1. It's huge and tonally, while interesting, for my tastes wasn't too exciting. The filter is nice but programming was a bit of hassle: Doable but sometimes a bit annoying. It really was much better at synthesizer sounds than what you would do with a 'proper' sampler. I would think of it as more of a DW 8000 on some steroids than a sampler. Out of the bunch I would go with the Emulator 2. Worth the trouble for the sounds and features.

If you want something a bit more modern a Kurzweil K2000 is really worth checking out. They sound amazing and can be used as a synth as well as a sampler. If you want the oldschool with grit, we use an Akai S950. Since this sampler my vintage sampler needs are met. SO easy to use and just doesn't sound bad. I use it as a tape recorder for THAT sound.

-matia

JB
Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

Post by JB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 am

I'd always recommend a Kurzweil... unfortunately doesn't tick the "analogue filters" box (even though the filters are nice for digital ones).

These babies excel at the other end of the spectrum (adding digital nastiness with the Wrap, Dist and Waveshaping DSP blocks..... but that's another story) :)