Kawai K500s - Still a worthy addition?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
guillermotin

Kawai K500s - Still a worthy addition?

Post by guillermotin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 am

Greetings,

I have always been curious about the K5000s' sonic potential, and now I've got the possibility of buying one of these machines, at a reasonably fair price.

My question is:

Considering it's pure digital nature (thus avoiding the discussions on analog emulations and fidelity), does the K5000 still hold up today against additive soft-synths? (i.e. Virsyn Cube, Reaktor modules, and others)

What would make the K5000s still worth-buying nowadays, apart from it's "hands-on" knob-approach interface and lushy keyboard action?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Kawai K500s - Still a worthy addition?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:47 am

I had a K5000W in the studio for a couple of years, it was really great to have around. I didn't get into the additive programming side as I never had the time to learn it all, but it had a great sound that I haven't got from anything else. Fantastic for pads. I haven't used any software additive synths though, but you can pick up a K5000 for around the same price as a softsynth these days and it's got resale value.