Cheaper alternative for Monomachine / Spectralis

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
JBL

Cheaper alternative for Monomachine / Spectralis

Post by JBL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:03 am

Hi, so I'm looking for a table top synth, mostly something in a box a bit like the monomachine or spectralis... only for much, much cheaper.. (of course, I understand that it wouldn't be as great as those machines) my budget is around 400usd (for a device that's probably going to be used)

I already have an er-1 mk2 and a kp3.. and I'm getting a much needed mixer very soon. What I do is mostly experimental with a lot of influences from different genres such as breakcore, drum and bass, acid, dubstep, etc. My biggest influences are Autechre, Vsnares (last step), Aphex Twin...

I mostly use softwares but now I want a nice hardware setup. I was maybe thinking to get the electribe ea-1 but I need something a bit more versatile... I was also looking at the yamaha an-200 but I can't find one.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks
Last edited by JBL on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Help me, what should I buy?

Post by Yoozer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:09 am

Since everyone needs help with what they should buy, you probably should've named this topic "Cheaper alternative for Monomachine / Spectralis".

While it doesn't hold a candle to a Monomachine, rather consider a Yamaha DX200. Quirky, rough sound, hands-on control and cheap. The AN is a bit more vanilla. I had it, sold it for an Alesis Ion but eventually bought an AN1x. More control over the sound and nicer to work with.

Or sell off your ER1 and get the Electribe MX.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

JBL

Re: Cheaper alternative for Monomachine / Spectralis

Post by JBL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks for your reply.

You are right about the title, I followed your suggestion.

About the AN-200 and DX-200, I saw that they only have 4 tracks (1 synth, 3 rhythm) that seems to be a problem no? considering boxes like the mx have like 5 tracks for synth and 9 drum tracks...

Also, I tried the MX, I love that kind of interface, easy to learn, fun to use and very fast, but I'm not sure about its sounds... Anyway, if I were to buy this, I would keep the er-1 for more drums.. I wouldn't mind more percussions I often do weird stuff with these... I often use all the tracks in the er-1 to get glitchy click sounds so..

Hmm I just really wish I could justify spending a lot on a spectralis

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:43 am

The Korg EMX-1 is the one.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:05 am

Emx.

I used to not like its sounds but run the output thru a decent distortion unit or plugin and a fuzzbox
I love how it sounds after going thru the plugin ohmicide and a freebie fuzzbox emulator from audiodamage.

Keep the er1 though, the electribes are at their most versatile when used in tandem with other units
blunted daydreaming

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:08 am

just a note about the an200. i had one, it sounded nice. raw but nice. i find my way much easier on a microkorg, weird because it have more knobs... one thing you have to consider: if you wish to make pattern with it, the first 1/16 each time you change a pattern gets kinda mutted, the sounds drops, like if it was "computing" the new sound to be play. that was very anoying. i don't know if the dx200 does the same.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

JBL

Post by JBL » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks!

I found an affordable EMX-1 that will do the job until I'm serious about getting the Monomachine or Spectralis.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:39 pm

I'd really try and save for a 2nd hand mk1 Monomachine.

Coupled with a Kaoss3 you won't get anything as immediate an inspiring to use especially for experimental IDM sounds

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:40 am

Many of the Spectralis' features can be found in an expanded Quasimidi 309. Heck, I recognized many of the Spectralis' stock drum samples from the 309 I owned years ago.
Yours,
Niall.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:45 pm

syncretism wrote:Many of the Spectralis' features can be found in an expanded Quasimidi 309. Heck, I recognized many of the Spectralis' stock drum samples from the 309 I owned years ago.
Ah, another great suggestion...except that it only has a monophonic synth.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:56 pm

JSRockit wrote:
syncretism wrote:Many of the Spectralis' features can be found in an expanded Quasimidi 309. Heck, I recognized many of the Spectralis' stock drum samples from the 309 I owned years ago.
An expanded 309 has three synth voices.
Yours,
Niall.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:23 pm

emx comes to mind here too, but a mk1 monomachine would blow the emx away in every possible way.. then again, get an emx, if you don't like it, they sell easily for the same amount (or more) that you paid for it...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:22 pm

syncretism wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
An expanded 309 has three synth voices.
I never ever knew this... whole different ballgame.

JBL

Post by JBL » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:57 pm

I found a very affordable emx so I got it, of course I was not looking for that sound but the device is really fun to use, I do not regret it at all.. I forsee that I will sell it some day once I get what I want but I won't lose a buck and the emx is actually very profitable.

Now about the Quasimid 309, I took a peek at this and it seems very interesting... and affordable.

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:35 pm

JBL wrote:I found a very affordable emx so I got it, of course I was not looking for that sound but the device is really fun to use, I do not regret it at all.. I forsee that I will sell it some day once I get what I want but I won't lose a buck and the emx is actually very profitable.

Now about the Quasimid 309, I took a peek at this and it seems very interesting... and affordable.

The emx is by no means the most versatile means to an end but by no means should it just be discounted as worthless. Ha its just really fun and immediate, and to me that is the name of the game. At the very least it is a good sketch pad for you to trigger more "sophisticated" sound sources for percussion.
Though it doesn't sample I still enjoy using it to sequence intakt or ableton for the samples. Rally the only shame for me is that it doesn't transmit its motion sequences. If it wasn't for that it would easily kick the s**t out of sequencers like the xl7 and such
blunted daydreaming