Vintage or Modern Poly for me?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
bamse

Vintage or Modern Poly for me?

Post by bamse » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Ok, maybe this is incredibly stupid asking on a forum with this name, but I'm close to buying my first polyphonic analog synthesizer and I really can't decide between buying a modern synth or an analog one. The new ones just seem to sound so darn clean. I was thinking of buying one and adding something like the Thermionic Culture Vulture Culture and analog phasers down the line.

Out the modern ones I am leaning towards a 4-voice Omega 8. Another idea would be to get 2 used Voyager RMEs to add to my Voyager. But I'm worried the sound would be too thick.

My budget is around $3000

Out the vintage ones the Prophet 5 sounds great on YouTube. I've also been eying some considerably cheaper ones like the Juno 106 and the Jupiter 6.

Ok, so I'm worried about maintenance and repairs. I just don't want to deal with it that much, especially where I live. If one capacitor leaks, how do I know another won't leak the next year? Is there such a thing completely rebuilt vintage synths that will last longer? On the other, the vintage ones seem to have that magic to them.

I just can't decide.

bamse

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: Vintage or Modern Poly for me?

Post by Joey » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:02 am

check out the alesis andromeda
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:48 am

Vintage should be fine if you take care of it. Might be a good idea to have power supplies re-capped and such. Modern analogs such as the andromeda and Prophet '08 can run circles around the old stuff from a capabilities perspective but many prefer the sounds of the older gear. Right now your all over the map, I suggest not only listening to examples of each synth and deciding what you like but also considering what they are capable of. 1 or 2 osc per voice, etc. If you've got $3000 to spend and you're really not sure you could try out a couple synths and see what suits you to better narrow it down.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

bamse

Post by bamse » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:10 am

i did look quite closely at the Andromeda and Poly Evolver
otto wrote:Vintage should be fine if you take care of it.

That's what I'm not crazy about. Are there ways to make the new analogs sound more like their old counterparts? narrow their bandwidth perhaps? :?:

Where can I try an Andromeda, Omega 8 and vintage synths in the NYC area? I've been to 48th St and 14th St already.
Again, does anyone sell refurbished or rebuilt vintage analog synths on the internet?
otto wrote:Modern analogs such as the andromeda and Prophet '08 can run circles around the old stuff from a capabilities

Well I have some synths that are capable of many things, but this time I'm more after one or two great sounds.

Maybe I'll just get the Omega 8 and a Juno or something like that. Maybe the Omega satisfies me enough.

CJ the noisemaker
Gear: Novation X Station 49
Korg Poly 61M
Band: Hokago Family Band

Post by CJ the noisemaker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:50 am

bamse wrote:Again, does anyone sell refurbished or rebuilt vintage analog synths on the internet?
That's like asking if pie has delicious? Here, try this site:
123synthland

And try this for awesome synth demos:
Wc Olo Garb - Youtube
Being that you can do so many things with it [the synthesizer]... you can make sounds bigger than life.
-Stevie Wonder

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:01 am

bamse wrote:i did look quite closely at the Andromeda and Poly Evolver
otto wrote:Vintage should be fine if you take care of it.

That's what I'm not crazy about. Are there ways to make the new analogs sound more like their old counterparts? narrow their bandwidth perhaps? :?:

Where can I try an Andromeda, Omega 8 and vintage synths in the NYC area? I've been to 48th St and 14th St already.
Again, does anyone sell refurbished or rebuilt vintage analog synths on the internet?
otto wrote:Modern analogs such as the andromeda and Prophet '08 can run circles around the old stuff from a capabilities

Well I have some synths that are capable of many things, but this time I'm more after one or two great sounds.

Maybe I'll just get the Omega 8 and a Juno or something like that. Maybe the Omega satisfies me enough.
try rogue music on 30th between 7th and 8th (or 8th and 9th i forget)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 am

Wine Country sells rebuilt Sequential Circuits synths:

http://www.winecountrysequential.com/

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:57 pm

depends on the character of sound you are after. if new stuff is your goal, your first idea seems liek a good one, get a 4 voice or 6 voice Omega, and add rest of the voices later, or just get an Andromeda.

on the vintage front they are all so very different. as far as maintenance goes, Jupiter6 is a standoput. very well built. and not expensive. however, JP6 does not sounds as nice as P5, if that's the sound that caught your ear.

alll things considered, if u had some other polyanalogs already, id advise a vintage one that complements them most of all. but as a first and only one perhaps A6 and Omega are much better deal. youll get more music done. further more, if u do get A6, youll have enpugh money left that soon down the road you might be able to add an OBXa or JP6, a sound that compliments A6 almost pefectly. OBxa is also a phenomenal synth, with kinship in sound to Rev3 Prophet, due to similar Curtis hardware used, but with 12dB/Oct flavor.

cheers

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

breitt

Post by breitt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:45 am

Unless you don't mind getting your fingers dirty and spending some money here and there for maintenance and upkeep, I would stay modern. Of the moderns-Andromeda or Omega. I had a tough time deciding between the two, but ultimately I chose a 4-voice Omega and never looked back. I don't play keyboard, so the Andromeda seemed like a waste for my needs. The Omega can be tweaked to sound "dirty" or "vintage", but its clean, modern sound has a snappy character all its own; it's the "good" kind of clean.
Elektron Analog 4

bamse

Post by bamse » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:34 am

123synthland and Wine Country sell refurbished synths. I'm looking for rebuilt ones, or at least ones with every capacitor changed so I don't potentially have to bring the synth in to have them changed in 5 years or less. How much does Wine Country want for a Prophet 5?

@Clusterchord

I am after the older character. Maybe I could mimic this with a modern synth.

Why doesn't someone build a new synth that sounds old and dirty?

Right now it's looking more and more like a 4 Voice Omega then hopefully one day a Rev 3 Prophet 5 if the refurbished ones are still hovering around the $3k Mark.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 am

You're going to end up getting both anyway - if you buy vintage you'll pine for features of the modern one, and if you buy modern you'll regret not having some sound you're looking for. So get whatever, and then start saving for the next one. There you go, problem solved! Glad I could help.

killertofu

Post by killertofu » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:29 am

bamse wrote: Why doesn't someone build a new synth that sounds old and dirty?
Back in the day synths cost more than new cars of the time. I dont think the average user would be up to purchasing a $20,000 synth today :D

bamse

Post by bamse » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:30 pm

You're saying a synth that sounded old and dirty that was built today would cost $20,000? Why so much?

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:46 pm

What type of music are you making, what type of sounds are you after? Andromeda and Omega are both great synthesizers, I went for the Omega as I felt it suited my needs better.

TunedLow suggested mixing both new and vintage analogues. Sounds like excellent advice to me.

- CM

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:23 pm

bamse wrote:@Clusterchord

I am after the older character. Maybe I could mimic this with a modern synth.

Why doesn't someone build a new synth that sounds old and dirty?

Right now it's looking more and more like a 4 Voice Omega then hopefully one day a Rev 3 Prophet 5 if the refurbished ones are still hovering around the $3k Mark.
i think, if u want older character, go for it right away. prices will only go up, given time, even tho at the moment theres slight slowing down of this process, bcs of crisis and all. but sooner or later all these vintage hall-of-famers will be out of reach for regular pocket.

bottom line, classic early Curtis chip character, with its rawness and punch, like on a OBXa or P5 Rev3, is completely unexistant in todays offerings. same goes for SSM sound of the P5 Rev2 or Trident. nowhere to be found in any form. contrary to this, one could argue that discrete sound of old oberheim/moog is sometimes doable on Omega/A6, that is if u dont want 100% faithful reproduction. at times, Omega reminded me of Jup8 too, if a much slower version of it. these are my grain-of-salt impressions. so ymmv.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc