Vintage or Modern Poly for me?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Soundwave

Re: Vintage or Modern Poly for me?

Post by Soundwave » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Joey wrote:check out the alesis andromeda

Does anyone know if Andromeda's are still in production?

I can't find a new one anywhere or when I do find one it's double the price!!! :?

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:07 pm

A week ago I saw a couple of new Andromedas for sale at music-store.de, so I guess they are still in production, maybe. I think they only had two in stock though.

- CM

breitt

Post by breitt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:53 am

Soundwave wrote:
Joey wrote:check out the alesis andromeda

Does anyone know if Andromeda's are still in production?

I can't find a new one anywhere or when I do find one it's double the price!!! :?

Several here in the U.S.--Nova Musik has them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alesis-Andromeda-A6 ... tsupported
Elektron Analog 4

bamse

Post by bamse » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:12 am

I wish I could afford both a modern and vintage one. I like the real lo-fi drifting type of sounds like Boards of Canada. And nice pads as well.

It's just hard to justify $3000 for a Prophet 5 when I know it might break soon. Maybe an Omega plus either a Polysix or Juno might make me happy. Or do you think I would be happier with an Omega and then a Prophet sometime down the line, though not soon?

Is there a Curtis vs SSM comparison thread with sound clips? I tried searching.

The A6 sounded pretty good, though the Omega seemed to have more beef to it. No ones answered why there can't be a vintage sounding synth built today. I doubt it would cost as must as a car to build if it's all fairly regular components. Also no one's answered what you think is a good way to simulate the old synths with a new synth. Or can this even be done in your opinion?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:01 am

bamse wrote:I wish I could afford both a modern and vintage one. I like the real lo-fi drifting type of sounds like Boards of Canada. And nice pads as well.
You don't want a particular synth then, you want access to a complete studio and lots of production skill using analogue outboard, effects, tape delays etc. There's not synth old or new that sounds like what you want, but with the right programming and production techniques you can make almost any synth sound like that.
bamse wrote:Also no one's answered what you think is a good way to simulate the old synths with a new synth. Or can this even be done in your opinion?
There are heaps of ways like using old effects units (guitar pedals especially) analogue EQ, nice tube compression, tape delays, analogue chorus, amping the synth up and micing it, etc. The synth itself is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to getting the sound you want, even just changing one effect completely alters the sound.

We run a Micron through a Crybaby, Russian Small Stone and DM-100 and I bet you'd think it was too dirty and vintage sounding for you. I'm sure you'd be quite happy with the Omega and some effects units and you wouldn't have to worry about it breaking down on you.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer

Post by Carey M » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:43 am

What Stabbers said. If I plug the Omega into a Dynacord VRS-23 (a BBD delay / pseudo reverb), I can do BoC faster than you can say 'Roygbiv'. Effects are like Dunder-Honung to Bamse ;)

If you're determined to get a modern analogue, get an Andromeda / Omega and some effects. Add a Polysix later.

- CM

bamse

Post by bamse » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 pm

I agree that effects and production has a lot to do with it. But having said that, I do prefer the sound of the older analogs as they seem to just have "that" sound. BTW. do you use ReAmp boxes with your effects since most pedals are designed for guitars and not line-level. Many claim that impedance mismatching will wreck the sound, plus it will be too loud. I'm planning on picking two of the cheaper Radial ones one day.

I'm by no means determined to get a modern analog. In fact a large part of me wants to get an older one since it just sounds better to me. Hmm... Maybe I could just cut off some high, and low-end from the Omega, and maybe introduce some subtle analog distortion. I just don't want to deal with these repairmen with the old synths.

Carey, you couldn't post some "classic" sounds from the Omega, could you? I just haven't heard a basic saw with slow or fast attack.

Bamse (is he still around in the old country?)

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:26 am

bamse wrote:I agree that effects and production has a lot to do with it. But having said that, I do prefer the sound of the older analogs as they seem to just have "that" sound. BTW. do you use ReAmp boxes with your effects since most pedals are designed for guitars and not line-level. Many claim that impedance mismatching will wreck the sound, plus it will be too loud. I'm planning on picking two of the cheaper Radial ones one day.
Well the too loud problem is easily solved with the knob on the synth which is marked 'volume'. ;) Regarding mismatched impedance, if you're going for a hifi sound then definitely use one. If you're trying to get a lofi sound or grunge things up or whatever then a reamp box is going to work against you. Just plug the synth in adjust the level and then decide if you like the sound or not, easy. My guess is that you don't really need one.
bamse wrote:I'm by no means determined to get a modern analog. In fact a large part of me wants to get an older one since it just sounds better to me. Hmm... Maybe I could just cut off some high, and low-end from the Omega, and maybe introduce some subtle analog distortion.
The Omega has these things called 'filters' which you can use to cut off the high end and low end of the signal. If you find there's too much high end in your signal then take the knob marked 'LPF' in you hand and turn it anti-clockwise until the sound matches your requirements. :thumbleft:

bamse

Post by bamse » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:16 am

I wouldn't say it's that simple. I wouldn't be going for a hifi sound if I was using a raw wave into a heavy metal pedal. But I would want it to sound like that synth going into that pedal. Impedance mismatching can make the sound much thinner. Volume mismatch can also overdrive a cheap AD which sounds terrible. You can even damage the Line6 pedals if you feed them line level.

Many would argue that a simple filter cut, which you put so snidely, would not sound like a vintage synth. I think some type of subtle modulation and distortion would be needed. Even that wouldn't get you all the way.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:07 am

bamse wrote:I wouldn't say it's that simple. I wouldn't be going for a hifi sound if I was using a raw wave into a heavy metal pedal. But I would want it to sound like that synth going into that pedal. Impedance mismatching can make the sound much thinner. Volume mismatch can also overdrive a cheap AD which sounds terrible. You can even damage the Line6 pedals if you feed them line level.

Many would argue that a simple filter cut, which you put so snidely, would not sound like a vintage synth. I think some type of subtle modulation and distortion would be needed. Even that wouldn't get you all the way.
Please learn how to take a joke. Also learn that saying a modern subtractive synth is too bright is pretty dumb, that's like saying new cars all go too fast without trying driving them without your foot all the way to the floor.

But if you think the 'vintage sound' is some holy grail that you can't get without some rickety old synth that spends more time at the tech than being played then that's fine, get one of those. If you just want to make music that sounds good then you should get something reliable and learn how to use it. The advice I gave you is stuff that I've learnt through experience in the studio. Impedance mismatching makes the sound thinner when you're running a signal into an input with too low an impedance so the output device can't supply enough current to drive the input device, like when you plug a bass into a line input. It doesn't do the same thing the other way round.

Anyway, you asked for advice and you got it. You seem to not want to get something new because it won't have 'the sound' and you don't want something old because it won't be reliable. I'm just telling you you can make great sounds with new stuff with the right production techniques and suggesting a few techniques to you. If you're that worried about impedance mismatches then buy a reamp, I'm just saying you should try without one first. I know engineers that use a Boss pedal with a buffered bypass stage instead of a reamp pedal when they're going line out of tools into an amp, what does that tell you about the amount of difference it makes if you're just going into pedals?

bamse

Post by bamse » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Posting edited by moderator (Jack Spider) - personal attacks are not permitted on VSE.
Last edited by bamse on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:30 pm

i sense the banhammer coming down hard on this one
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 am

Words fail me. :lol:

Carey M

Post by Carey M » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:16 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Words fail me. :lol:
:D

Stabs has a modern p***s!!!! Stabs has a modern p***s!!!

- CM has a huge pulsating vintage p***s

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 am

Wow. That went downhill fast. Perhaps his dog ate his Zoloft prescription? :wink: