electric guitar

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ned-ryarson

electric guitar

Post by ned-ryarson » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:44 pm

sorry if a similar topics been done. couldnt find anything...

anyway,

lookin to get an electric guitar, to provide a clean sound, d.i'd and recorded into Live.
maybe lookin to have a go at bowing it with nice reverb, like sigur ros i suppose.

if possible only spend like £350/$600.

any recommendations

cheers

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: electric guitar

Post by space6oy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 pm

i'd recommend you get an amp and a mic instead of just running the guitar direct. they ALL sound like s**t that way. even amps w/ direct outs don't sound nearly as good as when they're run through a cab.

there are tons of decent guitars out there you can get for under $600. plenty of epiphones & fenders etc.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 pm

space6oy wrote:under $600. plenty of epiphones & fenders etc.
Not here in the UK because of the current exchange rate (I'm guessing that's where the OP is). I'd suggest a Yamaha Pacifica and a small valve combo amp (Blackstar, Fender, and others all do some), I reckon you could get both for less than £350/400 if you go second-hand. You'll need a mic obviously to record. I can promise you that the DI'd guitar will not sound good - especially with a bow; you need an amp.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:50 pm

+1 for the little valve amp. it will add alot to your sound and they are cheap

for guitar i would also suggest the danelectro that you might have in uk. in canada the exchange is also pretty weak but you still can get one for 330$ can shiped from ebay. i got a u2 and i'm more then satisfy with it, light and cool sound because of the hollow body.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Alex Hamilton wrote:
space6oy wrote:under $600. plenty of epiphones & fenders etc.
Not here in the UK because of the current exchange rate (I'm guessing that's where the OP is). I'd suggest a Yamaha Pacifica and a small valve combo amp (Blackstar, Fender, and others all do some), I reckon you could get both for less than £350/400 if you go second-hand. You'll need a mic obviously to record. I can promise you that the DI'd guitar will not sound good - especially with a bow; you need an amp.
yip got a decent condenser mic.

this sounds really reasonable if it works. ill def look at those yamahas. ive owned a couple of yamaha acoustics and found them really hard to beat.

cheers all
Last edited by ned-ryarson on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:22 am

ned-ryarson wrote:somethin like this be o.k?

http://www.projectmusic.net/fender-supe ... 2344-p.asp
I haven't used one myself so can't comment. I do like the Peavey Classic series in that price bracket, definitely check them out.

Be aware: every time you double an amp's power, you increase its volume by about 3dB. The result? A small amp can be loud as h**l if you turn it up. 8) That 15W above will give you PLENTY of volume for recording, so really don't worry about its 'small' size. Volume is more about number of speakers, and their efficiency.

Do you need the onboard DSP? I'd just use stuff in the computer myself, budget DSP generally I don't find worth it.

Just clicking on the links on the left of that page suggested:

http://www.projectmusic.net/blackstar-h ... 3692-p.asp

which is more up my street - you can run it into an external cab if you want. Handsome devil too. :P

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:14 pm

Alex Hamilton wrote:
ned-ryarson wrote:
Do you need the onboard DSP? I'd just use stuff in the computer myself, budget DSP generally I don't find worth it.

Just clicking on the links on the left of that page suggested:

http://www.projectmusic.net/blackstar-h ... 3692-p.asp

which is more up my street - you can run it into an external cab if you want. Handsome devil too. :P

na didnt even notice the onboard effects or anything.

just wanted to see if something around that price would be suffice for recordings.

that one does look nice though.

cheers

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Alex Hamilton wrote:I can promise you that the DI'd guitar will not sound good - especially with a bow; you need an amp.
Are we talking about studio, or live use, or both? I'm also thinking about a guitar right now for studio. Guitar effects have been my gateway to this. My buddy was showing me his NI Guitar Rig. He has the pedal, and loads of classic amps and effects. He auditioned some song demos he's working on, and it sounded great. So did his song ideas! Woot!

For guitar, I've been looking at some of the guys similar to what I want to do: Spacerock, shoegaze, 80s. David Gilmour, M83, Radiohead, even Paul Reynolds of Flock Of Seagulls. Learning what different pickups sound like. Starting to gravitate toward a Fender with single-coils, two or three config. I don't think the humbuckers are for me...too bluesy, jazz or something.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:24 pm

i started with an american standard fender strat and an old london reverb fender amp (which is one of the last paul rivera fender designs). used the combo for a couple years. however, over the past five years i've probably used a guitar amp twice, i generally just plug into processors and then into the mixer. i do like a good tube amp but i've always considered amps totally unnecessary in the studio and can get any sound i want using a small bag of hardware tools in the signal path.

a fender strat is definitely a great all-around guitar. if you can afford a used american or japanese one, buy it. just go standard with the pickups, they're dynamic. i keep a mexican fender strat floating around the studio always- it's cheap enough that i dont have to worry about it and actually a decent guitar. my rickenbacker and jazzmaster are usually in their cocoons staying out of trouble.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Yamaha Pacifica 604w on the way £200stg from the bay. all good reviews at harmony central so...

next thing down the line after the valve amp is a decent mic pre amp.

for now ill settle with the pre amp on my mixer or sound card. maybe a bit down the road splash out on somethin nice.

anyone ever get a better sound quality after investing in a good pre amp?

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:37 am

scored a mint roland cube 60 amp for £100.00

only had 10 mins wit it last night but drove up the road really happy