rhymit beast

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nu-tellar

rhymit beast

Post by nu-tellar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 pm

ok so i want to act a nice drum machine to my set up. i do not really need a drum machine since korg m3 have some very good samples, i have a, lot of drums samples in my computer too but, i want to act a nice dedicated drum machine to my set up. i wanted to be easy of use, easy to program, and something that has some variery sounds, and a nice heavy drum sound. i also wanted to be very tweakable so, i don`t get bored out of it for a good deal of time. my budget is $1700 for that.

i been looking at the fallowings drum machines,
vermona drm mk11
jomox xbase 888
and, elektrom machinedrum uw mk11
can some of you who have use it, give me some ideas of why you like it and, what you think of it. since the only store near me is guitar center, and they don`t have any of it.
my two top choices is the jomox and the machinedrum, but i do not really need a samplers because, i do have one and, i am no looking for that feature in the machine drum, i am just interested in the drums, and the easy of laying down a drum groove, and how fun they are.

ok, your comments mean a lot for me since that`s how i am going to base my purchused. thanks for your helps guys.
Last edited by nu-tellar on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: rhymit beast

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 pm

You could buy all of those for 17,000 dollars.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 pm

if you realy don't know what you want go and get anything. then you can have something to rely your perception on.

you may also try this way. you already have a sampler, look at a sticky that tallow started in the sampler area, there's the samples.kb6.de site. alot of drum machine are covered there, listen to them you'll make your own idea.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:45 pm

tallowwaters wrote:You could buy all of those for 17,000 dollars.
1700 is more right

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am

novielo wrote:if you realy don't know what you want go and get anything. then you can have something to rely your perception on.

you may also try this way. you already have a sampler, look at a sticky that tallow started in the sampler area, there's the samples.kb6.de site. alot of drum machine are covered there, listen to them you'll make your own idea.
I have the m3 that covers a lot of genre in drums, but I want a different kind of drums so I was thinking that and analog drums like the jomox would be nice, or a machinedrum, and probably gime me better samples and since is dedicated just for drums, in the case of the jomox it would not matter since is all analog.

I now either of those would do find because, the music I be doing is electronica oriented which is reggeton and hip pop and, I. Like to experimented with it, you know get created. I also want something easy to use and make drums pattern. I use reason and redrum is quiet easy to use, so I want to get a setp sequencer like that, but in a hardware. I just like to know why you guys like it, and what you think of the sounds, they have.

i have heard both on youtube and they sound nice but, i would really like to know what you guys who has either of this gear think of it. like the sound wise, easy of use, and varied of sound i can get out of it.
thanks for your replay. thank you very much.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:49 am

i been listening to a lot of the videos in the web, and sounds clip. is a tough call between the machinedrum and the jomox xbase 9. i think i am going to get the jomox i really like that nice analog drum sound. but, i am going to wait a least a week to be sure thats what i really want. can you guys tell me what you think fo those machinedrums.

thanks a lot.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:39 am

I just got an Vermona DRM1 MKII and it's amazing:

http://roblogic.net/sounds/view/15

But you will need a dedicated sequencer!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:19 am

That demo's almost perfectly in time with your avatar. :)

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:25 am

True. Interweb disco!

I need to state that those demo's are not mine.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:25 am

nu-tellar wrote:i been listening to a lot of the videos in the web, and sounds clip. is a tough call between the machinedrum and the jomox xbase 9. i think i am going to get the jomox i really like that nice analog drum sound. but, i am going to wait a least a week to be sure thats what i really want. can you guys tell me what you think fo those machinedrums.

thanks a lot.
I think the Machinedrum functions much much better than the Jomox, however the Jomox has a much nicer sound if you want analog style drums, there is a lot of variation available with the kick drum which is the main reason people get one.

The Machinedrum sounds nice, but doesn't do the analog sound very well on its own (I mean the non sampling version - UW). However the user interface is excellent, and it has a sound of its own.

Oddly enough, even though I prefer the analog sound, if I had to choose again I would probably get another Machinedrum rather than a Jomox, but that's because I have a 909.

I think from having lots of samples etc, you would probably prefer the jomox, the analog sound will make a big difference.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:58 pm

kuroichi wrote:
nu-tellar wrote:i been listening to a lot of the videos in the web, and sounds clip. is a tough call between the machinedrum and the jomox xbase 9. i think i am going to get the jomox i really like that nice analog drum sound. but, i am going to wait a least a week to be sure thats what i really want. can you guys tell me what you think fo those machinedrums.

thanks a lot.
I think the Machinedrum functions much much better than the Jomox, however the Jomox has a much nicer sound if you want analog style drums, there is a lot of variation available with the kick drum which is the main reason people get one.

In which way you mean it function better, I must said that will the sequence is a plus for it in is way a lot of you way using it justify is value. I think is a plus but, I most likely will sequence its own sounds, and probably not all the time, I use dp for sequencing in my computer, and I iam use to it. I also has m3 wich has a very nice and versatile sequencer, a little hard to learn but, I am trying to have a versatile set up, but I want to keep it minimal, till I grow more knowleg. I. Am more towards the jomox than the machine drum, because I am going to get analog drum, like I am not going to get from my other gear, but it will be easy to get the sounds of the machine drum from software baase synth, or from my virus ti snow. Other than is work station interface what you guys like about, the mchinedrum.
The only thing I don`t like about the jomox is that it only has 9 sounds, I know I can load samples but still. And I would have like to have some latin percursion in there to. But that's ok I guess that's a drum machine more for analog drums.

The Machinedrum sounds nice, but doesn't do the analog sound very well on its own (I mean the non sampling version - UW). However the user interface is excellent, and it has a sound of its own.

Oddly enough, even though I prefer the analog sound, if I had to choose again I would probably get another Machinedrum rather than a Jomox, but that's because I have a 909.

I think from having lots of samples etc, you would probably prefer the jomox, the analog sound will make a big difference.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey guys, I like the jomox mbase 888, I also like the 999. I think I am going to get the mbase 999 since, I am buying a filter to that I can use with my other gears. I like to run audio from my computer to the moog little fp to add some distorcion, and drums to it. The. Mbase 999 is a multimote analog filter with high pass banth pass and low pass. I think is work it the xtra doug. What you guys thing about jomox filter. I was also thinking that with that kind of doug, I could have got and mbase 11, nord lead rack, jp8000, and mpc. But, more is no always better. And perhast that will make my work workflow more complicated.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:05 pm

got my jomox mbase 999 on the way. i just order it from bigcitymusic.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:34 am

think u meant xbase ?