Anything to check when buying preowned Moog Voyager?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
synthmax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: PEK, Voyager, JP-8080, Sirius, Radias, Lead 2, X-Station25, KS-Rack, Z1, MPC4000

Anything to check when buying preowned Moog Voyager?

Post by synthmax » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:00 pm

I am considering purchasing a Voyager, though I would most likely look for a gently preowned one. With a digital synth, it's mostly whether it works or not (binary). For something analog, like a Voyager, what are potential pitfalls to be aware of? I heard once that there was a good chance you were probably getting a subtly faulty Andromeda if you were purchasing it preowned.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Anything to check when buying preowned Moog Voyager?

Post by Solderman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Some models have a Pitch Bender offset issue. I hear you're supposed to open it and adjust a trimpot near the bender to fix it. The models with the blue backlighting underneath the knobs cause hum at the outputs, for most models, when you turn up the backlight intensity. Stock Voyagers do not pitch track the filter during portamento slides. There's a factory mod for adding that.

I would check the Voyager Forum for anything else.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

gd

Post by gd » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:56 pm

I agree with the above and do go to the Moog Music site. It depends on the model and when built, the original Performer had fewer abilities than the other models, which board is installed, I had an Anniversary Ed. and installed the upgraded 3.0 bd which was a significant upgrade, later models came with it included as with other options. It is a great bd. I just ended up preferring to stay with my old miniD that I have owned since '74.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Also check the tuning of the instrument.
Let it warm up for 20-30 min, initialize a voice and check if all oscillator are in tune with each other.
Be sure to inspect all keyboard range because usually they are getting out of tune at the higher notes.
It seems that most voyagers develop this problem every 1-2 years and calibration is needed.
It is all about sharing...

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 am

I bought my Voyager gently-used. It's a Signature Edition and I enjoy it. However, I recently noticed that if I set all the oscillators to a triangle wave, oscillator 3 sounds markedly different than the other two (which sound the same). It seems to have more overtones in it.

Is that normal?