HELP!!!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
TheFlamingHetero

HELP!!!

Post by TheFlamingHetero » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am

Ok so initially, I was going to buy a Korg RADIAS on the first of this month, but unfortunately something came up and that didnt happen. So my local music store has a MiniMoog Model D for only $1800!!!!
My only question is, if YOU had the chance to buy it would you? Or would you get a different synth? And if YOU would got a different synth what would you get within a $2000 price range?

PS Only Analog, possibly Virtual Analog.

PPS Please just try to refrain from the "Depends on the person, try it out yourself and then decide". My local music store only has workstations and digital synths. The Minimoog is the only analog they have and they only have one of them.

Thanks in advance!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: HELP!!!

Post by Z » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 am

I'd jump on it if I were you. If it doesn't suit your needs, you can flip it and make a quick profit.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:13 am

This belongs in buyer's guide, and for that price, I'd buy it and then flip the minimoog for $2500-3000.
virb.com/ookpikk

killertofu

Post by killertofu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:15 am

Depends on the condition. $2000 to $2500 seems to be the going price on working but non-restored Minimoogs. If everything works and the knobs, case, etc are in good condition I think it is a great deal!

Keep an eye out for clacking and/or unlevel keys, deep scratches/gouges in the wood, heavy scratches on the bottom of the Mini, yellowed switches,etc. These all would suggest that the Mini has been treated and stored in not-so-ideal conditions.

If you have some of the problems above, or even worse- if the Mini doesn't even turn on, be prepared to end up spending at least a few hundred having a tech work on it.

Good luck!

TheFlamingHetero

Post by TheFlamingHetero » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 am

Thank you guys for all your input. What makes this situation a thousand times worse is im such an indecisive person in general hah.

Now do you guys think I'd be better off just getting an old school considering the Warranty, or possibly even saving an extra for a Voyager?

dinotread

Post by dinotread » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 pm

save some more and get the voyager.

can i get the location and phone number of that local store?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Next time for god's sake give your thread a proper title, like "RADIAS or Minimoog for $1800?"

Everyone here needs help; shouting won't get you more replies. Sensible thread titles will ;).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

futureworlder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: modular | monome | x0xb0x | ableton

Post by futureworlder » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 am

$1800 is a great price for a Mini in good condition; that's about what they were going for 4-5 years ago...

the name of the game here is possession;
get the thing home, play with it for a month, THEN decide if you want to flip it for a VGer or OS. chances are, depending on condition of course, that you'll fall in love and want to keep it, but on the off chance that you don't, there are plenty of rabid bastards here on VSE that will be more than happy to help you find it a good home. ;)

if you sleep on it, and take your time in deciding, it'll disappear- that's the way it goes...

carpe diem!
"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers"- Pablo Picasso
http://www.myspace.com/briantraister

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Just for some background info, where is your location? In my opinion, buy the mini and if it doesn't suit your style/music then sell at a profit and get the Radius or something more versatile. At least doing it this way you can know for certain that the mini isn't for you and you can move on, for so very many people the mini is the holy grail, but I say everyone's different so it depends on personal taste, but remember the deal with the mini is it's pure analog sound. Programming-wise there is no way a mini is as flexible as a modern VA like the Radius, but like I said the raw sound is what it's about. Which leads me to the most important question, what style of music do you make? I reckon it does depend what style you go for when it comes to choosing synths, they may all be able to do certain styles but some do certain sounds better than others.

:wink: