Synth-Shrink

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Killasoundbwoy
Gear: Juno 106, alpha Juno 1, MS2000B, DX7IId, JoMox Mbase 1, MFB503, RX-8, Speak & Spell, E-MU 1616m, P4 dual-core laptop..

Synth-Shrink

Post by Killasoundbwoy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Well, after a year of putting up with my synths slowly annexing a whole room of our already tiny house, my missus has had enough and told me to sling the synths or sling my hook. Needless to say, my hook is being slung, and I'm looking for an apartment for myself and the synths (the missus and I are still together, btw). My problem is this, and it's probably karma, but my budget won't allow for all that big a place (as in 2-bedroom), and what I'm thinking to do is basically shrink my studio into a more manageable size.

I currently have a 106, alpha Juno 1, DX7 II & MS2000 plus a few bits and bobs. I love the DX and 106, but they are just too large. Can anyone suggest a line-up of small keyboard synths, table-tops, racks etc that would substitute/replace the above synths nicely? Maybe keep one keyboard for bashing away on. I'm thinking if I sell all the above, I should have a decent war-chest to get what's needed - would like to get one fully analog (as in VCO) piece, if I can, too.

Any (useful!) advice at all on dealing with the space issue going forward, will be much appreciated too!

Cheers

esqoner

Re: Synth-Shrink

Post by esqoner » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:29 pm

yamaha dx200 would be good for the dx...plus you'd get drum sounds and a sequencer.

may look in to the an200 too...for the more analogish sounds (same engine as an1x)

they have software stuff for deeper programming, but offer a lot from the box too.

plus knobby dx is good.
the little green buttons make the little

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Post by Electroluver » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:05 pm

You could get a SH-2, SH-9, Sh-101, MC-202, CS-5, BassStation, MKS 50, MKS 7, MKS 30, MKS 20, etc. It's strange, if my girl started complaining about my synths (which she wouldn't) I know how the conversation would end.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:53 pm

Go for rack versions of your boards...TX-802 replaces DX7, MKS50 replaces Alpha Juno, MS-2000R, etc. and your patch library is still usable. All are readily available used.

Keep one board as a master...maybe the 106 since there's no real rack equivalent.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 am

Sell them, buy a laptop a decent firewire sound card and some soft synths ;) Compose in bed - no more space needed!

Oh.. I see the locals with pitch-forks are coming, i'm gonna run! ;)

I'd get an an1x as an 'only' synth, some boxes as suggested and some soft synths. If you are not into keeping a load of hardware anyway then one keyboard will do and the an1x has great sounds of it's own and is a good (lightweight) controller too. :)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:42 am

meatballfulton wrote:Go for rack versions of your boards...TX-802 replaces DX7, MKS50 replaces Alpha Juno, MS-2000R, etc. and your patch library is still usable. All are readily available used.

Keep one board as a master...maybe the 106 since there's no real rack equivalent.
+1 on getting the rack versions. The MKS-7 Super Quartet is the rack version of the Juno 106.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 am

If you're going to keep one keyboard as a MIDI master, keep the DX7. The 106 is a great synth, but it has some MIDI weirdness that makes it a not very good master keyboard. And it doesn't do velocity; the DX7 does.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:53 am

cornutt wrote:If you're going to keep one keyboard as a MIDI master, keep the DX7. The 106 is a great synth, but it has some MIDI weirdness that makes it a not very good master keyboard. And it doesn't do velocity; the DX7 does.
The original DX7 didn't implement the full range of midi velocity values (0 - 127). As such, I wouldn't recommend it as a contoller keyboard...

Killasoundbwoy
Gear: Juno 106, alpha Juno 1, MS2000B, DX7IId, JoMox Mbase 1, MFB503, RX-8, Speak & Spell, E-MU 1616m, P4 dual-core laptop..

Post by Killasoundbwoy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 am

Hey, this is great, lots of food for thought here.

I think the DX200 is definitely a go, along with either an SH-2 or Basstation KB to satisfy my VCO desire - anyone know how the BS is as a controller KB? Does it have velocity?

I think the MKS50 will also be a must - I do all my editing via that free PG300 emu programme anyway, which is a great little free exe, btw. I am bracing myself for a backlash here, but it has to be said - I think the 106 can go, without replacement. The alpha Juno can do, in my book, everything the 106 can, and a lot more besides...I don't think the sound from the 106 is particularly "warmer" or "punchier" than the alpha either, but that's just me...;>

Don't know enough about the AN1x so will have to look into it. As for the MS2000R, might take a break from the MS2000 and get another VA like the Ion or similar. Again, I'm open to suggestions, keeping in mind the size issue. I use the MS2000 mostly for FX, drones etc.

As for the suggetion from Pro-5 to go all soft, a) I have a fairly kick-a*s machine & soundcard already, and b) I do use a very few softs, like Absynth, but I find that the vast majority are faily piss-poor "caricatures" of real synths. What's great about Absynth is that it does something no real synth could ever do, and doesn't try to be a real synth - it's very original & unique, in my book

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:18 pm

Rangoon wrote:
cornutt wrote:If you're going to keep one keyboard as a MIDI master, keep the DX7. The 106 is a great synth, but it has some MIDI weirdness that makes it a not very good master keyboard. And it doesn't do velocity; the DX7 does.
The original DX7 didn't implement the full range of midi velocity values (0 - 127). As such, I wouldn't recommend it as a contoller keyboard...
i think he has the ii version...and that issue was addressed.

part of why i sold my 1st version dx7 though.
the little green buttons make the little

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Rangoon wrote:
That's right, I forgot about that bit of weirdness. It only went up to 100 or something, and it was distinctly non-linear. The whole concept of velocity response curves came about because other manufacturers were trying to make accommodations for their synths being MIDI'ed to a DX7.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:14 pm

cornutt wrote:If you're going to keep one keyboard as a MIDI master, keep the DX7. The 106 is a great synth, but it has some MIDI weirdness that makes it a not very good master keyboard.
Specifically the 106 sends MIDI "all notes off" whenever you finish playing your notes, which some machines (such as my mpc1000) interpret as "shut the h**l up" and turns off any samples in the midst of playing, so I get this weird staccato where it shuts off all the drum sounds halfway through their samples when I release my last key. Not very fun.

Having owned both the juno 106 and the alpha juno I'd think you could get rid of the alpha without much pain and suffering, no?

I'm in the process of miniaturizing my studio too, so that most of it fits in a gator 20x30 inch case, and I feel my juno 106 is well enough replaced by the blofeld. I might be making a fidelity mistake but I wasn't in love with the juno's DCO's or unison mode. now if only I can find someone to trade my cs-20m for a korg ms-20... :D

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Yeah my 'soft synth' suggestion was tongue in cheek anyway, but IS ultimately the best way to 'save space'. :)

I'd always have to have 'some' hardware around... the more the better in fact :)
Last edited by Pro5 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 pm

th0mas wrote:Specifically the 106 sends MIDI "all notes off" whenever you finish playing your notes, which some machines (such as my mpc1000) interpret as "shut the h**l up" and turns off any samples in the midst of playing, so I get this weird staccato where it shuts off all the drum sounds halfway through their samples when I release my last key. Not very fun.
Yeah, if you record a sequence from the 106 and then just play that back to it, you can crash it. It doesn't like its own MIDI output! The other thing that's weird about it is when you release a note, instead of sending "note off", it sends "note on" with a velocity of 0. This is permitted in the MIDI standard, but it messes up a lot of older synths.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:04 pm

cornutt wrote: Yeah, if you record a sequence from the 106 and then just play that back to it, you can crash it. It doesn't like its own MIDI output!
no s**t! that is really funny. :D