Midi patchbay???

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
BröselHai
Gear: Roland SPD-S + Octapad II (samples, trigger), Roland SH-201 (layers), StudioProjects B1 & VTB-1, JoMoX SExbase09, Roland MC-80

Re: Midi patchbay???

Post by BröselHai » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:37 pm

I´m using midisolutions

recording-path: MIDI Solutions Quadra Merger
playback-path: MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru

no batteries, etc. required.
powerd via MIDI
"If I have an apple, and you have an apple, and we exchange apples,- then you and I still have ONE apple. But if I have an idea, and you have an idea, and we exchange ideas,- then we BOTH have TWO ideas." G.B.Shaw

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:08 pm

thats not a question

ampsynth

Post by ampsynth » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:31 pm

mercybox wrote:
Sun May 24, 2009 1:09 pm
I use a JL Cooper Synapse (16 in/20 out) in my studio and I can tell ya, I'll never be without one. It may be the most vital piece of gear in my studio from a usefulness viewpoint. I really don't know why no one makes things like this anymore. :-(
Old thread, but I'll throw in another thumbs up for the Synapse. Couldn't be without it now that I have one. Simple to use and, if desired, can be a deeply programmable MIDI merger, splitter, and filter box.

Couldn't find any videos on how to use it, so I made one. Maybe it helps someone out there decide if it's worth hunting down on the used market.

It's also baffling to me that JLC doesn't keep making this model or an updated version with USB, etc.

Bradleysarly
Band: Bradleysarly

Midi patchbay

Post by Bradleysarly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:15 am

Ive got an 8x8 MIDI patchbay to sort out my synths and MIDI controllers, but Im running out of inputs.

Is it possible to double up synths to a single MIDI IN/OUT of the patchbay to free up some slots?

I understand that each MIDI IN/OUT can control up to 16 MIDI channels, so obviously, something like the Fantom X would need a whole socket to itself as it uses all 16 channels; however, could I put say a D-110 max 9 multitimbral channels and an SH-32 max 4 multitimbral channels on the same Patchbay socket? They use a maximum of less than 16 channels between them, so the D-110 could be set to transmit and receive on channels 1-9 and the SH-32 to use channels 10-13, for example.

If so, could it be done using THRU or would I need a MIDI Merger?

Any thoughts?
Cheers
Andy

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:26 am

Sure, you just wouldn't be able to switch them independently if you have multiple devices on a single port, that's all, which will affect your planning of the patchbay setup.
Last edited by desmond on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Desmond is spot on. You could just get another MIDI interface, chain multiple USB so then you can still have each synth on its own 16 i/o MIDI port. Are you really gonna use the D-110 multi-timbral though? Isn't it a kinda bad synth, and not in a good way?