Selecting a tabletop synth.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
FrankenZappa

Selecting a tabletop synth.

Post by FrankenZappa » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:32 am

Hello All!
I'm new to using forums in general so bear with me :)

I recently acquired the following synths/drum machines:
Roland TR 808, Tr 909, TB 303, MC 202, MC-300, and a Korg MS-20 with a Kenton Pro MkII.

New to making music in general, but I have learned to use each piece of gear and have begun recording single-take sessions on an old cassette recorder.

Currently considering two different tabletop synths:
the dave smith evolver, or the elektron monomachine.

The MC-300 doesn't seem to be the best "jamming" sequencer on earth. How's the monomachine's sequencer? Would It be a better master for the MS-20 in a live programming situation?

The monomachine's over three times the price of an evolver.
Do the advantages of the monomachine justify this added price?

Which do you think would compliment my gear better?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Selecting a tabletop synth.

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:12 am

You seem to have a lot of money to spend on this new hobby, if I were you instead of asking for advice on a forum I'd be going out and finding a producer who knows how to use all this gear and getting them to show you how to use it together to make tracks. It'll save you a lot of time in the long run and you'll probably end up getting results you're much happier with a lot quicker, and they'll be able to answer all the questions that pop up all the time straight away, rather than you having to go to a forum and ask and then wait for a reply.

Anyway, if I were you I'd either do that, or go to both the elektron website and the DSI website, download the manuals and read them. After you do this you'll see that the the monomachine is a six-voice synth with a six-track sequencer which has song modes. You'll also see the evolver is a monophonic synth with a 16 step sequencer that's pretty much for modulation or 16 step analogue style sequencing only, and you'll be able to answer your own question. :thumbright:

magnus

Re: Selecting a tabletop synth.

Post by magnus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Jesus - talk about overkill. I think there's a lot to be said for building up slowly, especially if you're new to music in general. I would say stick to 1 mono, 1 poly, and 1 drum machine for a while. Having too much gear to work with can just hamper you progress sometimes. If you need to offload any of that stuff, get in touch - I'll make sure you don't need to pay the scrap dealer.