Cheap mixers

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Cheap mixers

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat May 09, 2009 3:16 am

Alright, I know this blasphemous to some people, but I'm planning on picking up a cheap mixer to feed directly into my little zoom mrs4 digital four track. I have no intentions of creating anything near professional quality. I'm essentially just recording my little evening solo jams. I'd like to go ahead and ask if behringer mixers are really that bad? I've read numerous threads here that seem to go back and forth, but taking into account what I personally want to do, are they really that bad of a choice? I've owned a behringer k450fx keyboard amp for three years now and honestly I'm not the least bit disappointed by it considering how much I paid for it. Despite this I'm leaning heavily towards the Peavey.

These are the three models I've considered, starting with the cheapest which is obviously the behringer

Behringer XENYX 1002

Peavey PV6 (less inputs, but seems to have received the best reviews, also made of metal)

Yamaha MG102C Stereo Mixer

I'll be recording the following, but not more than 4 simultaneously: MS2000r, Korg EM1, Akai s2000, Kawai k1m, Yamaha PSS680, circuit bent Yamaha VSS30. I'm just trying to show that I don't plan on recording a Jupiter 8.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Cheap mixers

Post by snsr » Sat May 09, 2009 3:39 am

Of those, I'd go with the Yamaha. Though I've not had a Xenyx, I have had two Behronger mixers. First was ~10 years ago, liked the mixer - despite the noisy signal, it was nicely built- liked it well enough that I sold it and bought a second, newer model. Which fell apart and was noisy. Cheap faders. That said, I'm sure the behringer would get it done. Especially if you're just using it at home. Also in that price range are the small Mackie VLZ3's - I have an 802-VLZ3 that I love (2-bus w/ aux sends and inserts, and it's small!) Could also pick up something gently used.

These days the only Behringer I have is a BCR-2000, which despite being a bit odd in design and implementation, works very well.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:14 am

Dont touch the xenyx!! Please save yourself likely hassles..

The yamahas.. I'm looking at getting a 142C. Everyone i've heard from that has used them has nothing but praise..
The price is amazing on these too... half the cost of a mackie vlz3, and honestly I've heard better things about yamaha quality than mackie.

I dont know where you're from, but here in Australia yamaha offers a 5 year warranty on them.. Which gives me alot of confidence.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:44 am

I use a Yamaha MG124C as a submixer.. it works ok.. can't really complain - the built in compressors don't do much for me though (prefer to use outboard for guitars/vox still) on the way in mild comp

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat May 09, 2009 10:41 am

Current baby Yamaha mixers are superior to the Mackies, IMO.

rap and country

Post by rap and country » Sun May 10, 2009 3:33 am

when i was looking for something for the same purpose awhile back i settled on the tapco blend 6

no complaints

rap and country

Post by rap and country » Sun May 10, 2009 3:41 am

one of the big factors for me was the mic pre-amps which i think everybody (including me) will tell you are pretty crappy on the behringers

if you're only using line-level stuff maybe it's not worth the extra $40 or whatever it is

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun May 10, 2009 4:05 am

I will be mainly working with line level stuff. I'm really leaning towards the yamaha now rather than the peavey. The yamaha seems to have gotten good reviews also. I figure its worth ten dollars more for the extra channels and on board compression, despite the slightly inferior build quality.

*edit
Sadly the tapco blend 6 has been discontinued. I want to actually get something new this time around, rather than used.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun May 10, 2009 6:31 am

The Behringers sound fine for f**k about, unless you are using the EQ or preamp gain. h**l, I have a 4ch over here you can have if you want to drop by one night. That said, the Yammy would be a better choice, though Alesis makes some useful mixers too.

Just so you know, the Music Center in Hickory and Gastonia still carry that Tapco stuff (at least as of a month ago).
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:46 am

yeah the sound is fine on the behringers, its just the build quality that keeps me away

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun May 10, 2009 5:38 pm

tallowwaters wrote:The Behringers sound fine for f**k about, unless you are using the EQ or preamp gain. h**l, I have a 4ch over here you can have if you want to drop by one night. That said, the Yammy would be a better choice, though Alesis makes some useful mixers too.

Just so you know, the Music Center in Hickory and Gastonia still carry that Tapco stuff (at least as of a month ago).
Are you talking about one of those little mx400 micromixers? Anyway I need the ability to pan at least two of the channels and I need at least one stereo input. Thanks anyway though, I should have mentioned this in my initial post. I'm also living in Cabarrus county now (east of Charlotte), so Hickory and Gastonia aren't exactly close, thanks for the heads up though.

*Edit, also I really want Aux/fx send out and return.
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Sun May 10, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun May 10, 2009 6:16 pm

I was referring to to the pre xenyx line of behringer mixers - I have a 4 channel (2 preamp/XLR) that doesnt get used. You are thinking of those little Nady mixers I have lying about, and they actually make a stereo model-
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Nady-MM-242-4-8 ... 1|294%3A50
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.