Moog OS vs. Voyager [Poll]

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

If you could only have one synth witch of these would you chose?

Minimoog Old School
33%
Minimoog Voyager
67%

Total votes: 33

Mati
Gear: Minimoog Old School, Fender Rhodes MkI, Nord Electro 3, Akai XR20, Stylophone, Fender Stratocaster, Gretsch G5120, Taylor 12-string, Lots of pedals

Moog OS vs. Voyager [Poll]

Post by Mati » Tue May 12, 2009 1:04 pm

I'm in a bit of a dilemma because I have saved enough money to buy either an Old School or a Voyager and I'm trying to get all the input I can before I buy because this will be my first synth :D

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Moog OS vs. Voyager [Poll]

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 12, 2009 1:36 pm

This decision is simple, do you want midi, patch memory and a touchpad? If yes, you want the Voyager. If that decision's too hard you don't deserve either. :D

Mati
Gear: Minimoog Old School, Fender Rhodes MkI, Nord Electro 3, Akai XR20, Stylophone, Fender Stratocaster, Gretsch G5120, Taylor 12-string, Lots of pedals

Post by Mati » Tue May 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:This decision is simple, do you want midi, patch memory and a touchpad? If yes, you want the Voyager. If that decision's too hard you don't deserve either. :D
Thats true, but imo the touchpad is useless because it pretty much does the same as the modulation wheel, and I don't really need patch memory, because I would change the sound completely anyway, the only thing that means something is the midi, and I'm not really sure that it justifies the extra money. Plus the OS is going out of production soon, so if I have to sell it sometime (god forbid) It would probably be a better investment that the Voyager

I know it should be an easy decision but this would be my first synth ever, and it's a lot of money, so I would hate to make a decision that I would regret :D

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue May 12, 2009 4:06 pm

If you're only concerned about the lack of MIDI ask yourself what is cheaper:
  • Voyager
  • OS + MIDI to CV converter
Personally I'd opt for a Voyager though.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue May 12, 2009 5:54 pm

Mati wrote:imo the touchpad is useless because it pretty much does the same as the modulation wheel, and I don't really need patch memory, because I would change the sound completely anyway

this would be my first synth ever, and it's a lot of money
You don't seem to fully understand what the touchpad can do plus you can never have too many controllers on a synth.

Patch memory is not about the factory presets (which can be wiped anyway), it's about the convenience of recalling any of your sounds in a second rather than tedious repatching.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:If you're only concerned about the lack of MIDI ask yourself what is cheaper:
  • Voyager
What is cheaper: Minimoog Model D
:wink:

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue May 12, 2009 9:41 pm

jaypodesta wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:If you're only concerned about the lack of MIDI ask yourself what is cheaper:
  • Voyager
What is cheaper: Minimoog Model D
:wink:
Well there is that too! :lol:

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Tue May 12, 2009 10:12 pm

I would personally choose the OldSchool.
I've tried both and it was something with the oldschool that I liked, think it was the ability to always "see" the sound, you actually get what you see. When you change to a preset on the Voyager, you don't see it right away what you have to do to get the sound you want.
It maby would be different if I had a Voyager and was able to sit down with it and learn to know it. But for the small amount of time I've spent with thoey in the store, I would buy the OldSchool
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Tue May 12, 2009 11:30 pm

I'd go for the Voyager because I would like MIDI and patch-memory for live use.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Wed May 13, 2009 3:47 am

Voyager all the way.

Why spend all that money on an OS and not go for a Voyager which has memory, MIDI and the touch pad?

Seriously, when I decided I wanted a new analog mono, I went modular. The Voyager is awesome.

About the track pad... it is NOT nearly the same as a modulation wheel. You could have one parameter on the mod wheel and TWO on the track pad. You can swirl your finger on the track pad making awesome modulation mixes and MOST importantly, you can rhythmically tap the track pad which takes live performance to another level.

The choice is clear.

Mati

Post by Mati » Wed May 13, 2009 5:22 am

masyst wrote: I've tried both and it was something with the oldschool that I liked, think it was the ability to always "see" the sound, you actually get what you see. When you change to a preset on the Voyager, you don't see it right away what you have to do to get the sound you want.
That was exactly my thoughts, and I'm pretty sure that if I buy the Voyager it will freak me out, and I would spend more time finding out how all the knobs really are than actually playing the damn thing :)
I forgot the touchpad had two parameters, and it's true the more modulation the better, but the kind of music I play it isn't really that necessary and a Midi to CV converter only cost about $100

And i think the OS is better looking, and no nonsense, so right now i think I'm leaning towards the OS :D
Btw: thanks so much for all your comments, it's really helpful to make this decision :D

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed May 13, 2009 5:26 am

the old school is a voyager of course.

Last edited by xpander on Thu May 14, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed May 13, 2009 12:57 pm

I'd go with the OS and a CV / Gate sequencer... or the rack Voyager.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed May 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Mati wrote:I'm pretty sure that if I buy the Voyager it will freak me out, and I would spend more time finding out how all the knobs really are than actually playing the damn thing :)
Voyager has a "Real Panel Control" option that sets the patch to all of the knobs' current settings. Takes 3 seconds and you're in "Manual" mode.

Only other thing I could think of is the Voyager allows you to switch to 1,2 or 3 poles for either filter, via an edit menu. I especially like the 2 Pole for more aggressive sounds, and with alot of fine, careful tweaking of feedback, you can actually get resonant bandpass sounds. Nice thing about that, is after all that tweaking, you can save the patch!
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Thu May 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Solderman wrote:Voyager has a "Real Panel Control" option that sets the patch to all of the knobs' current settings. Takes 3 seconds and you're in "Manual" mode.
So it actually HAVE a mode like that. That change my point of view a bit.
Like I said if I actually had a Voyager I would spend a lot more time of using it than I did in the shop, and learned to know it.
But also if you have a synth without patch memory I also think you will be better at programming your own sounds.
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...