a noob question

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Jugo

a noob question

Post by Jugo » Fri May 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Hello, I'm kind of new here and dont know much about analog synthesizers (only have a korg m50)

I wanted to ask, is there a synth that would have sounds like Rob Papen Albino 3/ Predator and other virtual synths ?

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Re: a noob question

Post by stephen » Fri May 15, 2009 8:13 pm

I guess you'd be looking at an Access Virus or something...
Stephen(2)

magnus

Post by magnus » Sat May 16, 2009 1:17 am

If you want something that sounds like a virtual synth, maybe you should get a virtual synth - it might not be as hands-on as hardware, but it will probably be cheaper

Jugo

Post by Jugo » Sat May 16, 2009 9:29 am

Well you see I want a keyboard, that I could use live (not with a pc) and I was wondering maybe something like the Virus TI could pull this off ? or anything else ? or is it impossible for something to emulate a virtual synth ?

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat May 16, 2009 10:00 am

Depends what features the virtual synth has.

Most people want software to emulate hardware, I've not come across anyone looking for the opposite :D

Suitable hardware synths you might consider would be the Virus, Blofeld, Nova/Supernova, AN1x, Nord Leads, Nord Modulars - take a look at what VA synths are around. Plus have a look at Roland V-Synths

But you certainly won't find a single hardware equivalent of Reaktor or some other complex softsynth. The costs of producing such hardware would be phenomenal.

Would you be adverse to using a midi controller with a laptop?
Stephen(2)

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Sat May 16, 2009 5:48 pm

Or you could buy a Muse Research Receptor (but it's just a computer in a sound module package optimized for VST's) it would give you the possibility to use all your softsynths live.
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:00 am

If memory serves, Rob Papen actually used to design sound-banks for Access' Synths before he got into producing his own software so a Virus would be ideal for these types of sounds. Go to Access' website and check out the sound demo's. I'd say your best bet would probably be to go for a used Virus KB as this seems to be what you'd like and wouldn't break the bank like a Ti/Ti2 would. :wink:

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun May 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Jugo wrote:and I was wondering maybe something like the Virus TI could pull this off ?
With ease. Predator looks almost based on the Virus B/C, and each consecutive Virus has the features of the previous model in it and more. Albino's got 4 oscillators with specific digital models, but you could stack 2 parts with 2 oscillators each and see how close you could get.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.