Electribe EA or MFB Synth Lite II

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
polyklinik
Gear: VCO, VCF, THC, LSD

Electribe EA or MFB Synth Lite II

Post by polyklinik » Tue May 19, 2009 10:01 am

Hi! I have a Blofeld and a TR626. I'm looking for a nice sounding synth with sequencer. i heard a lot of demos with the MFB and i love that little stuff. The EA is also nice, the sequncer is better for me (2 part, 64 step, LEDS) and cheaper but i haven't heard any special. Somebody said "toyish plastic sound". Is it an usebale instrument?? I think the MFB is more musical but a little bit expensive for analogue sounds. The EA has more waveforms and features.... Waitin for opinions & experiences...thx!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Electribe EA or MFB Synth Lite II

Post by meatballfulton » Tue May 19, 2009 12:06 pm

The MFB sequencer is nowhere as easy to use as the Korg. It's only half analog...the oscillators are digital, the filter is analog. It's best feature is the filter, decent recreation of a Moog filter.

The Korg is definitely usable, it's major flaw is the EG...decay only, controls filter only.

Having owned both, I would go with the Korg if you'll be using the onboard sequencing most of the time..
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blitzdj86
Gear: Modified DR-110, ES-1 Mk2, KP3, Various Pedals, MG82CX mixer.

Post by blitzdj86 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Even better than actually using the EA-1 sounds, you can just sequence things on your blofeld with it!

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue May 19, 2009 6:15 pm

edit: wow, synth lite II does have a step sequencer... thought only the synth II did.

i've had an EA-1 mkII and a synth II... the EA is ok, but for some reason i found its sequencing annoying in comparison to other electribes (ES, EM)... though honestly i don't quite remember why. it's been about two years. the synth II i'm split on... i let it go because again i don't like its sequencer. on the other hand, it's one of very few pieces of gear that i've let go that i do miss the sound of.

check out an evolver.
Last edited by space6oy on Fri May 22, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue May 19, 2009 6:58 pm

I think the EA1 is perfectly usable sound wise, but then again I never cared about warmth. It also makes an interesting effects processor. I ended up selling mine to buy a EM1 because I wanted a sequencer that could do double duty as a drum machine. I love the electribe sequencer, its pretty damn basic, but its extremely easy to use and rewarding. There is little to no difference between the ea1 and em1 sequencers, except supposedly that the em1's mute parts don't transfer when switching between patterns.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Fri May 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Got both of these. The Synth Lite II is a h**l of a lot better sounding than the EA1, and a lot more versatile sound-wise. The Moogy filter is fantastic. The sequencer is basic but fun, quite simliar to the SH101 one. Mine doesn't sync to MIDI clock well (sending it back to MFB shortly to have that fixed). The EA1 can sound alright but it's got that plasticy VA sound to it, you have to work at it a bit to get it sounding good.

Reality Checkpoint
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Reality Checkpoint » Fri May 22, 2009 8:49 pm

I have just got a Synth Lite II and am totally enamoured by it. I have been passing it through a DSI Evolver and Jomox T Resonator and am having a wonderful time. Will most probably get more MFB products now. I used to have an Electribe, and whilst easy to use I never really got on with it, nor did I like the sound too much.