Best HQ Cassettes to use w/ TASCAM 424 Mk2?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Afamily
Gear: Virus TI, SE1x (Angel Dust) and a Silver Laptop with an Apple on it.
Band: TIPOL

Best HQ Cassettes to use w/ TASCAM 424 Mk2?

Post by Afamily » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Just picked up a tascam 424 MKII and would like to know if anyone has advice on which cassettes to pick up for it? I'm recording hardware such as matrix 1000 jomox xbase and the korg emx, any suggestions? Thanks! :D
A dark pool of ambient sound from which I scoop up globs and sculpt it on the rough cement slab in my mind, floating on an irridescent cube. This is my mind.

mama.

Re: Best HQ Cassettes to use w/ TASCAM 424 Mk2?

Post by mama. » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:35 pm

Ive noticed the shorter tapes sound better. They make the tape thinner to fit that extra time of a 90minute tape and it loses tone quality. I don't notice too much difference from the manufacturers. Just make sure its high bias.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Yeah, shorter tapes like 60 mins or less. I used to use type IV tapes religiously, very low noise in comparison to the other types. Avoid type I (they're shite), type II are OK if you can't find type IV... Type III are obsolete I think. Type IV are the most expensive but they're worth it IMO.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:09 pm

The only thing you can use is Type II (AKA chrome) in a Tascam deck. Type IV will not erase properly, and you'll have a distinct lack of bottom end.

Yes, C60 is thicker than C90, but I could never hear a difference myself, given all the already high noise floor that four track cassette machines have! And when recording at double speed on a four track with a C60, you only have 15 minutes of recording time. Just something to consider.

If you can find them, Maxell XLIIS were great with the Tascam machines, as there was a little rise at 10kHz, which compensated somewhat for the roll off in the electronics of the Tascam. The Maxell is also a very solid case, so you'll have minimal wow and flutter. I found that TDKs wobbled too much at double speed.

Make sure you clean the heads regularly, and do not clean the pinch roller with alcohol (again, this is all in the user manual).