Staying with Roland jx8p or upgrading to Roland jx-10 ????

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
rockmanrock

Re: Staying with Roland jx8p or upgrading to Roland jx-10 ????

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:54 pm

madtheory wrote:Yes, anecdotal is a good word. I merely repeated the info because that is the nature of threads, some folk need to read it more than once ;)

So what's changed in the output cct. between 8P and 10? All that would be needed is a slightly different mixer for the voices. The number of voices shouldn't make any difference to the design of this mixer. I'll go check the schematics, it'd be intersting to see how Roland designers addressed the issue.
I suppose if they built them at different times they could have swapped parts (op-amps?) without changing the circuit and you could get a change in the sound. Look at all the fuss people are going to with their X0XB0Xs.
madtheory wrote: Isn't the MKS-70 also a dual 8P architecture? EDIT- it is. Wouldn't that be a better investment than a JX-10? Unless you want the sexy keyboard of course! :)
It's got the "shared tones" system that annoys some people.

Synthigraphie
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6HD
Roland Super JX + PG-800
Roland D-50
Akai AX73
ARP Omni I
Korg EA1-Mk2 & ER-Mk2
Yamaha PSR-640, PS-20, PSS-680

Post by Synthigraphie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 pm

madtheory wrote: synthigraphie- are you Colin Fraser? That's pretty cool, adding sysex to the JX-10. :)
Of course I am not Colin Fraser :lol:
I changed the EPROM using Colin Fraser's ROM some weeks after buying my JX, it's easy but you need somebody to write the EPROM and it was the main difficulty. But next I found a PG-800 for a low price so I don't really need that ROM.
For sure Colin Fraser's work is helpful if you don't own the PG-800.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Ah, what you meant was that you burned the EPROM yourself! Ambiguous use of the word "write".

analogholic

Post by analogholic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:14 pm

JX-8P vs JX-10/MKS-70

Here´s some info about the change of op-amps

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/05 ... ample.html

I have some mp3 comparison somewhere, I´ll try to find it...
But I clearly remember that the JX-8P sounded somewhat fatter/warmer

I´m using a JX-10 and quite like it for what it does...sysex and alphawheel...terrible

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:00 pm

The difference discussed is like the differences people discuss between the original DX7 and the later IID/IIFD or the Prophet 5 and the Prophet T8. The first thing to mention is that the latter synths do sound different than the originals. Don't pretend or talk yourself into thinking that there's no difference.

Essentially all the same guts in the synths (as far as osc, filters, waves etc.) go but in all comparisons the latter can layer voices and has a more "refined" sound as clarity was something strived for in the mid-80s after the DX7 became so popular. Something less in vogue now. In the T8, IID and JX10 the companies thought they were making better machines.

But I don't care about the argument. If I want rawness I fire up my modular with ten mixable audio sources. I have an Octave Cat SRM

They''ll out-raw anything.

My argument (long owned a JX10 w/PG800, soon to own a Prophet T8, could buy a IIFD locally thinking about it) is that you can get so much more out of the latter synths. You can A/B synths solo to talk about rawness or phatness but in the mix the originals and their "refined" later editions sound basically the same. And though they are refined on the surface once you dig into them and fire past the presets they are absolute beasts.

Also, because these latter synths can layer doesn't mean you HAVE to layer them. On the T8 and JX 10 you can do non layered 1 osc sounds if you want to and it sounds a helluva lot better than an Alpha Juno.

You can subtract from the latter synths. With Prophet 5 and JX8Ps there's nothing else to go to, that's the only kind of sound they have and all you can get. Refined performance features like aftertouch and semi-weighted keys are nice bonuses for anyone who doesn't just do leads.

So short story long, go get the JX10 and keep the PG800. You'll be glad ya did. With the T8 coming in I was going to sell my JX/PG combo but have decided to keep it.

I wouldn't pay the top end ($600-$800) to do it. But you say you are getting a deal. So do it.
Last edited by plikestechno on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Jeez, it's just different op amps. Very easy to warm up the sound in the mix afterwards, if the issue is only with the op amps. It's just harmonic distortion.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 pm

madtheory wrote:Jeez, it's just different op amps. Very easy to warm up the sound in the mix afterwards, if the issue is only with the op amps. It's just harmonic distortion.
Exactly. But there also was a noticible movement by major brands to make all synths, even analog ones, smoother and cleaner after the DX came out.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:46 am

Some of you may already be aware of this, but I think it's still worh-mentioning:

This guy named Greg Baumont had the brilliant idea of developing a software application that emulates a PG-800, that is also capable of loading sysex to and from the JX-10 without requiring the M64-c.

It it a donatioware called GB-800 that runs on windows XP and requires the Colin Fraser ROM upgrade (which is totally recommended by me).

Ever since I started using it my tone-sharing conflicts ended, because it allows me to save every tone setting in my laptop without having to re-write the JX memory. The PG-800 functions are made redundant for those who own the real PG, except for the fact that one can assign any regular Midi controller to change the parameters (thanks to the Colin Fraser ROM).

The link:

http://greg-baumont.com/

Go for the "Downloads" section in the main menu.

Hope that helps.