Page 1 of 1

Roland SH-32

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:48 am
by Hugo76
I'm considering this one, and have read some favourable reviews of it. One of the criticisms is the small display.
Anyone with hands-on experience here? How is the programming workflow, and is the arpeggiator easy to program?

Re: Roland SH-32

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:31 pm
by blitzdj86
Quite nice for the money,

beware of steppiness though..

I am normally the guy who doesn't know what people are complaining about with 'stepping' filters and the like - but even I noticed it on the SH-32.

Re: Roland SH-32

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:42 pm
by Hugo76
blitzdj86 wrote:Quite nice for the money,
beware of steppiness though..
I am normally the guy who doesn't know what people are complaining about with 'stepping' filters and the like - but even I noticed it on the SH-32.
Interesting... Did you try with external controllers? I read somewhere in regarding to some synth (don't remember), that this could be due to the internal resolution of the onboard controllers.

Any other thoughts on the synth?

Re: Roland SH-32

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:02 pm
by meatballfulton
I had one with the final OS and only really extreme manual sweeps showed stepping. Sweeps controlled by internal modulators are smooth. The arpeggiator is relatively complex, almost a sequencer. I had to pore over the manual quite a lot to try to figure it out.

Re: Roland SH-32

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:39 am
by Hugo76
meatballfulton wrote:I had one with the final OS and only really extreme manual sweeps showed stepping. Sweeps controlled by internal modulators are smooth. The arpeggiator is relatively complex, almost a sequencer. I had to pore over the manual quite a lot to try to figure it out.
Interesting, thanks for the input. I'm trying to convince myself to wait til autumn instead, when I get my scolarship I'm planning on picking up a Blofeld. But the SH-32 seems quite tempting in the meantime :D
I was fearing the arpeggiator was difficult to program, so I might let it pass because of this. Unfortunately I haven't got the opportunity to try it before I decide.

Re: Roland SH-32

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:17 am
by blitzdj86
you could always sell it on for however much you paid for it.

Re: Roland SH-32

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:11 pm
by Hugo76
blitzdj86 wrote:you could always sell it on for however much you paid for it.
That's true.
One more question: does the arpeggiator output midi?