BOSS DR-660?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
shakey_hands
Gear: korg trinity, micro korg, loads of casio's, korg electribe, elka omb5, logic studio.
Band: Blue Carousel,Sunshine Ensembe

BOSS DR-660?

Post by shakey_hands » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:34 pm

hi all
im interseted in a drum machine basically, i read square pusher used a BOSS DR-660. watched some dooshbags on youtube using the DR-660 didnt sound too great but like i said, squarepusher used it and they were dooshbags.

i read about the DR-202 on this site sounded ok. good for beginners was the vibe.

ive got a korg electribe (but it dosnt work very well anymore) so i like to think of myself as 'broken in'

my price range is under $1000 but ill save up more if its worth it. at the end of the day i wont some good

any ideas?
should i save for the dr-660 or go for something else?

thx :)

shakey_hands
Gear: korg trinity, micro korg, loads of casio's, korg electribe, elka omb5, logic studio.
Band: Blue Carousel,Sunshine Ensembe

Re: BOSS DR-660?

Post by shakey_hands » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:39 pm

#-o #-o #-o sorry forgot to say im in Australia. so thats $1000 Australian #-o #-o #-o

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 pm

I wouldn't take Squarepushers use as a reason for buying as at the time this was most likely a big part of the very little he had to use and although he somehow managed to squeeze granular synthesis from one the overall tone is very much aimed at a backing track for a rock band rather than upfront dance production, I doubt you'll find him using one these days.

However if you do prefer the realtime method of entry and want a more realistic set of drum sounds it's still quite a comprenhensive box even by todays standards otherwise I'd look at an ER-1 if your getting into electronic music.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Greetings fellow Australian! The DR-202 is pretty craptacular, I'd avoid that one if I were you.

I think the best choices for your budget are either the Korg ESX-1 or EMX-1, depending on if you want to be able to add samples (ESX) or have more synth parts (EMX). You can pick tem up from US ebay for around $600-700, then another $20 or so for a stepdown transformer or get a replacement power supply from a dealer. Tell them you bought it here and you left the supply at a gig or something, if you say you bought it from OS they'll get shitty with you. :)

Anyway, both of those machines are pretty decent sounding, have a whole lot of flexibility in the kind of sounds you can make with them and are very hands-on and fun to use. Have a look on youtube for videos of douches using them and see if it seems like the right thing for you. :thumbright:

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 am

I have 2 DR660's :D
Also here in Australia!

They are a great workhorse and you can pick one up off ebay for about $150 - cheap! You should have enough money left over for an ESX or EMX, and have both. Good range of sounds - more variation and useful stuff than say, the Alesis SR16, in my opinion.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

futureworlder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: modular | monome | x0xb0x | ableton

Post by futureworlder » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:10 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Have a look on youtube for videos of douches using them and see if it seems like the right thing for you. :thumbright:
classic. :lol:
"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers"- Pablo Picasso
http://www.myspace.com/briantraister

RASP
Band: RASP

Post by RASP » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:00 pm

I own a DR-660. The whole thing with the DR-660 and Squarepusher is he liked the fact that it had a "roll" feature that you could trigger while slowly increasing the volume ov the pads through velocity AND change the note values for the roll feature.
The DR-660 has a nice sound to it that works well for DnB, Industrial, rock, techno, and glitch.

It's still a great machine today.

The ER-1 though--that thing is a joke. It's fun to play with and all but the sound . . . I love analog drum sounds but I wasn't impressed by the ER-1.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 pm

I used to have a DR660 and an ER1...

the er1 is good for analog bleeps and bloops but don't expect anything with any real power, especially the snares, it CANNOT do snares

the dr660 is the f**k s**t.

i loved that drum machine, I even sampled it all into battery before I sold it, its sounds were so good

you can get your huge bon jovi 80s gated reverb snares, and then you can get your x0x samples, and it has a lot of other cool sounding drums

i particularly like the glass hit samples in it
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:51 pm

yes the er1, i thought was s**t.. fun at first and, as already said, interesting for bleepiness.. but the analogue kicks and snares really sucked i thought, and i never got any results from it... athough ive heard pretty decent musicians swear that its great with plenty of external processing...

thing is you'll find that so many artists you like will have, at one stage, owned certain drum machines or pieces of equipment.. but that doesnt mean that that drum machine contributed to the part of the music you liked..

not too sure about squarepushers electronic drum sound... i know on a few tracks he'll have had real drums recorded, then chopped and processed and what not..

but it sounds to me that a software drum synth, like this: http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/products/attack could be what youre after.. unless youre dead set on hardware and i dont think you are, you just want to achieve a certain sound

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 am

I don't think the ER-1 is s**t, a bit limited certainly.. the mk2 with cross mod makes it far more interesting than mk1.

it's very cool.. but its not a comprehensive drum machine. I ended up selling it because space was an issue to me, so I needed something that could do more.. I just got a huge ER-1 sample pack and loaded the bits I liked into my ES-1.

With your price range, I say get an ESX

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:24 am

I found a 660 for a really good price, but it was DOA, so I'm getting a refund. I found another 660 and then a 770 for the same price. Is there any significant difference in sounds of the two? The only demos for the 770 on YouTube are c**p whereas there are plenty of demos for the 660. Anyone here compare the two?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects