MIDI Retrofit kits for Linn LM-2 LinnDrum & Roland CR-78

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

MIDI Retrofit kits for Linn LM-2 LinnDrum & Roland CR-78

Postby Z » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:27 pm

OK, so I really love the Kenton MIDI kit I have on my TR-808. It allows me to freely assing the MIDI Channel, note numbers and repsonds to velocity sensitivity. Are there any kis for the LinnDrum and CR-78 that have these features?

Forat offers MIDI kit for LM-2, but you must specify the note numbers before they burn the ROM and they are forever fixed. Also, it does not allow velocity sensitivity, but does assign the different drum dynamics (i.e. Bass 1 & 2, Snare 1, 2 & 3, etc.) to different note numbers.

Analogue Solutions offers a MIDI kit for the CR-78 with fixed MIDI note numbers and does not respond to velocity. It appearantly only triggers the "programmable" voices and not the "constant" (Metallic Beat, Tambourine & Guiro) voices.

Kenton offers the Pro KADI, which is a MIDI to trigger converter and they offer kits for a few drum machines including the CR-78. With the Pro KADI, the note numbers can be freely assigned, but no velocity sensitivity. From what I have gathered from emails from Kenton (for some reason getting answers from them is like pulling teeth), only the programmable voices can be triggered, just like the Analogue Solutions kit. I could have sworn Kenton made a kit for the CR-78, maybe they did once upon a time.

Being able to freely assign note numbers is important to me becasue I'd like to put all my "classic" drum machines on the same MIDI channel, each machine getting their own octave or so of note numbers. For the CR-78, I'm leaning towards the Pro KADI for that reason and I might can use it with other machines (not at the same time mind you).

Are there any other MIDI kits I am missing?

I have seen LM-2's with JL Cooper MIDI mods, but it doesn't look like they still make them. That must have been something they only did back in the day. Any of you have a LM-2 with JL Cooper MIDI and know if the note numbers are freely assignable and/or velocity sensitive? If so, I may just buy a LM-2 with JL Cooper MIDI installed and sell my LM-2.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: MIDI Retrofit kits for Linn LM-2 LinnDrum & Roland CR-78

Postby BoxPhenom » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:51 pm

I have one with the Jl Cooper kit, the notes are assignable but you can't store the modifications. It always starts up on the default mapping.
BoxPhenom

Postby killermusic » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Some corrections regarding the Forat Midi kit:
Not only you can change the drum note assignments but they’re also remembered after power down and here's how you go about it:

First have the Midi out of your other drum machine, computer or your keyboard connected to the Midi in on the LinnDrum.
Power up the LinnDrum while holding LOAD button down to enter Setup mode. Display should show a couple of brackets like this [ ].
Press the drum button on the LinnDrum to be reassigned then play the desired pad on your other drum machine or the desired note on your computer or keyboard.
Do this for the next drum buttons until you've assigned them all then press Load to exit Setup mode and that’s it.

You don't even need to know the note numbers as it'll automatically assign the incoming note and display it just in case you want to know!

Forat used to offer a version of their kit that added velocity sensitivity and also cleaned all of the background noises on the LinnDrum however this option is no longer available!

Forat kit is far more superior to the JLC and here are some of notable differences:

Noticeably tighter Midi Sync and trigger response.
Ability to trigger the drums via Midi while playing internal patterns. With the JLC Midi, you can either be triggering drums via Midi or play a pattern on the LinnDrum but not both at the same time!
All user assignable parameters, Midi note numbers, channels, Midi Sync offsets etc is kept after power down.
You don't need to open up the LinnDrum to activate Midi Sync, reassign note numbers or to change the channel and no use of BCD dip switches. It's all done using front panel buttons!
The kit they offer today also come with a Midi Thru jack.
You can download the manual for either kit on the bottom of this page here:
http://www.forat.com/drummachines/drum.htm
killermusic

Postby Z » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:06 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. I never got around to MIDI'ing my LM-2, but I did get the CHD Elektroservis CR-78 MIDI kit installed.

Guess I need to send my LM-2 to Bruce.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Return to Buyer's Guide