oberheim, maybe voyetra ??

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
donniedarko56

oberheim, maybe voyetra ??

Post by donniedarko56 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Hello !

I'm a 19 years old guitarist and I'm looking to buy my first synth. I'm working all summer to get enough money to buy this synth and I'd like to do electronic/ambient like Ulrich Schnauss (for those who don't know this amazing artist Which synth would suit me best ? Money is not really a matter since I'll be making a lot of money by working my a*s off all summer :D ! (I know he primarily used Oberheim OBX8 and Voyetra...)

Thank you for helping me !

=)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: oberheim, maybe voyetra ??

Post by Solderman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 am

Don't forget he also uses a Prophet VS! It's quite a beautiful sounding instrument in its own right.
The Octave Voyetras are very hard to find, and I'm told, don't have very good service records. They apparently do sound amazing, and are quite versatile for analog polyphonics though. The Voyetra is used quite alot on New Order's mid 80's albums.
The Oberheim OB-8's are the easiest to come by. Its predecessor, the OBXa, shares a very similar architecture, and they both sound very similar. The OB-8 has a few more features, and has software envelopes, which are not as fast as the OBXa's.

If you really must have analog polyphonic, the Oberheim is not a bad choice, but there are some modern analogs which will do alot more. The most prevalent of these currently are the DSI Prophet 8 and Alesis Andromeda. You may also consider some of the virtual analog options, such as the Access Virus TI, Korg Radias/MicroKorg, Yamaha AN1X, Novation Supernova or Roland JP-8000.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 am

A voyetra would be one of the last choices I would make if I were you. It has to have one of the most dense and hard to understand layouts of any synth. They are also not terribly reliable and hard to find anyone to fix it if something goes wrong. They sound great though, but would NEVER be my first choice.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:47 am

I think Ulrich also makes extensive use of the Waldorf Microwave XT - its descendant, the Waldorf Blofeld, can be had new for $500, and is fantastic for pads and ambience.
virb.com/ookpikk

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:24 am

hfinn wrote:A voyetra would be one of the last choices I would make if I were you. It has to have one of the most dense and hard to understand layouts of any synth. They are also not terribly reliable and hard to find anyone to fix it if something goes wrong. They sound great though, but would NEVER be my first choice.
This would be my sentiment also. On top of that your not going to casually find one anyway. It does have a unique sound. It does "dirty" analog better than anything out there but I would look elsewhere for "clean" analog. I always had a wanting to turn up the filter cutoff on it, but doing so won't take away the grit (which may be a good thing depending on your perspective).

The Oberheim OB8 is about the best bang for the buck out there as far as vintage analogs, and does in fact have decent hardware envelopes (contrary to a previous poster). I'm not in to new stuff, but if I were I would skip the DSI Prophet 8 and go for the Andromeda....

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:02 am

Welcome to VSE.

I know you say money is not an issue, but if you're new to the world of buying synths, you might (or might not) be surprised at some of the second-hand prices. Being 19 and having a summer job might not be a situation that will buy you the cream of 70s/80s analogue polyphony.

However, there are plenty of cheaper and more common vintage units about, and some good newer ones.

You also don't say how much you know about synthesis, which is something you should definitely learn about, but not necessarily let it prevent you just buying something. My first synth was a Roland Juno 6, and I knew little about it at the time - it was the start of a long process that's still going on 18 years later.

My personal recommendation would be something on the cheaper end of things first - either a real analogue like one of the earlier Junos (6/60/106) which are affordable, analogue, polyphonic, and capable of a decent range of sounds - or a VA. I've had both a Microkorg and a Nord 2X, and my personal opinion was that the Korg was awkward and limited in appeal. The nord was better and can easily cover a suitable range of analogue-type sounds.

Once you're familiar with what particular synths can do (from experience as much as advice), you're in a better position to know what you want. My advice really is not to get hung up on particular synths. Find something in the right ballpark, and try it out. You can always sell used gear for what you paid for it, and there's plenty about to try next.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:05 am

I totally agree with Nathan's advice. I'll also add that for Ulrich Schnauss sounding stuff the effects you use are just as important as which synth you use. If you're a guitarist you've probably already got some decent pedals but if not you'll do well to invest in some like a good phaser and delay. You could go a long way with a Juno 6, a Small Stone and a BBD delay, or a VA running through the same pedals.

I used to be in this band http://www.myspace.com/peaceoutforever who do similar sounding stuff, and it was all down to knowing how to use the right effects.

donniedarko56

Post by donniedarko56 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 pm

hello !

first, i want to thank you all for having answered me, you were really fast.

i took note of everything you guys said !

Nathan => i've already tried that Korg Microkorg but it really looked like a toy to me... But I've also tried the Nord Lead 2x and I really loved it, way way more than the Microkorg. You're right, since I'm working, money is not an issue but I don't want to buy a synth, and then realize months after it's not the sound I want and then sell this synth, loose money on it and buy another one.... I just want to have ONE synth, that will last me a LOT of years, whatever the synth will cost me, you know what I mean ? For example, I had a shitty acoustic guitar when I started but when I decided to buy my first electric guitar, I wanted it to last maybe a lifetime, so I just bought the best guitar I could with the money I had (1971 Les Paul Custom ! =) and I know I won't ever sell this thing or buy another Gibson....

About the cheap synths, I've heard that the Roland JX-8P could do brilliant things and could make ambient/electronic sounds like any Oberheim OBX8 or OBXA can but I'm not so sure about that lol...

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Synths vary a lot. Listen to some demos, scrutinise the features, and dive in. You won't necessarily lose money if you buy used. There's no one synth that will do it all. ARP 2600? Great, but you can't play chords. Obie? Great, but you won't be modulating one osc with another while ring modding the white noise with an envelope-fed S&H gating the dual seperately-contoured LP and HP filters accompanied by a sub-osc drone that switches waveform every 8 beats of it's externally synce'd random arpeggio. I'm not being entirely facetious here. Maybe you want a modular, maybe a heavy poly with limited features but a lovely sound, maybe a nice mono with a few interesting modulations, maybe a sampler and a wavetable and a digi/analogue hybrid. In all likelihood you will spend years finding the one synth to rule them all, or not, ever. Or maybe you'll be the lucky one and hit gold the first time you buy one, who knows?

Sorry if that seems either harsh or cynical or both, but there's a lot of variety out there, and it takes time to sift through it. If you're really interested in synths, your first will not be your last.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:23 am

Hi dude - enjoying listening to the track you posted...

Just listening to it - Im wondering - I think an Alesis Andromeda may be a good choice for you? Great for spacey pads and it has High Pass and Band Pass filters - which would be good for these types of sounds...the vintage analogues do not have multimode filters....ooops - I forgot - the Oberheim Xpander/Matrix 12!

However it doesnt sound like you are too worried about vintage sound - so maybe the Andromeda might be a good fit - you can spend a lifetime exploring its possibilitites! Go check YouTube for some demos...

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:43 am

I'm just going to point out that Stab is completely right about the FX. Also, chances are about 99 in 100 that you don't need 'vintage analogue', or analogue at all for this type of thing.
virb.com/ookpikk

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:58 am

The Andromeda is THE best ambient synth I think on the planet ever made... get a bbd delay A MUST! and some samples/MPC and you're golden right there.

The andy is one of those synths worth working for all summer too, that is my 2 cents.

You're also gonna need a computer and some recording software too right?
for sale/trade: EML-101

donniedarko56

Post by donniedarko56 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:15 am

Alright ! Then I'll start hunting for an Andromeda on the Internet !

Yes, a friend of mine sold me his used MacBook Pro and I installed Pro Tools on it ! Should I buy also a drum machine lik the Roland TR808 and a monophonic synth like a SCI Pro One for example ? Or the Andromeda is enough by itself ?

donniedarko56

Post by donniedarko56 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:19 am

oh and by the way, what do you guys think of the Roland Super JX10 (great ratings on vintage synth.com) and the Prophet VS ?

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:38 am

As a first synth, the Andromeda is not a good choice IMO. Very complex and in depth, particularly for someone who's not used synths before. If you get one, be prepared to spend time a lot of time with it to get what you're looking for.

Roland JX10 is nice sounding synth but the patch and tone structure is frustrating (this is two JX8P's in one keyboard). You'd also benefit from a PG800 controller to program it easily, these are not easy to get hold of and are expensive.

Did you check out Nathanscribe's recommendation for a Juno 60? As a first synth, these are ideal.