oberheim, maybe voyetra ??

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: oberheim, maybe voyetra ??

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:49 am

juno 60 would be great as learning synth. andy would be great as all-trick pony

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 am

donniedarko56 wrote:Alright ! Then I'll start hunting for an Andromeda on the Internet !

Yes, a friend of mine sold me his used MacBook Pro and I installed Pro Tools on it ! Should I buy also a drum machine lik the Roland TR808 and a monophonic synth like a SCI Pro One for example ? Or the Andromeda is enough by itself ?
My advice: Do a lot more learning and then you can answer these questions yourself. If you're asking these kinds of questions you shouldn't be ready to spend a lot of money, you should be at the stage where you maybe get something basic like a Juno and learn to use that and you're continuing to learn about what everything else does.

Synths are different in a lot more ways than guitars are different, so you can't just say 'what synth is the best?' and get that one. Allow me to generalise for a second, but guitars all have 6 strings and you play them all in the same way. Comparing synths is like comparing your Gibson to a bass to a guitar with just one string to a violin to a zither to a sitar. They all have strings but that's about all they have in common, you get different sounds from them and they have different interfaces, and just because you can get the sounds you want from one doesn't mean you can from another.

How are you enjoying Pro Tools? Which interface did you get? If it's one with a midi interface too (I think all of them except the Micro and the original MBox) you'll be able to control PTs built in synths with whatever synth you get.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:If it's one with a midi interface too (I think all of them except the Micro and the original MBox) you'll be able to control PTs built in synths with whatever synth you get.
Off Topic
The more recent Mbox 2 Mini doesn't have MIDI either unfortunately - it's as basic as audio interfaces come.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:11 am

takes years and years and years to sound like Ulrich.

start w/ the Juno and then maybe a Nord Modular after you get your head around the Juno.

...or do what I did: buy a Korg Prophecy and waste 3-5 yrs wondering how to program the damned thing to sound more 'Moog-y"
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

donniedarko56

Post by donniedarko56 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:05 am

hello !

i re-read the whole topic and it seems like i should choose either a :

-Access Virus TI
-Korg Radias/MicroKorg
-Yamaha AN1X
-Novation Supernova
-Roland JP-8000.
-Alesis Andromeda (but nathan said it wasn't a good choice but nadafarms also said it was the BEST for AMBIENT)
-Roland Juno
-Nord Modular
-Korg Prophecy
-Nord Wave / Nord Lead 2x

Nathan : I apologize for having asked dumb questions but it's true, i'm a beginner at synth, been playing guitar for 13 years so i don't know that much about synths but i want to learn...

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:45 am

donniedarko56 wrote:-Alesis Andromeda (but nathan said it wasn't a good choice but nadafarms also said it was the BEST for AMBIENT)
I thought it was someone else. Never mind though - It's a good synth, powerful, but complex. I think you'd be better off with something that sounds good but is simpler to program, at first. Once you understand the principles of synthesis, you can try out more advanced machines. That doesn't mean you'll need something really complex though.
Nathan : I apologize for having asked dumb questions but it's true, i'm a beginner at synth, been playing guitar for 13 years so i don't know that much about synths but i want to learn...
I was probably in a bad mood. I still think you should learn about synthesis though before spending lots. Sound on Sound have some tutorials online:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Have a look at some of that. Really the best way to learn is to buy something with as many of its controls on the front panel as possible, not buried in nested menus or under obscure multi-function dials or whatever. To give you an example, my first two synths were a Roland Juno 6 and Yamaha TX81Z. I still have them both, but the Juno has all the things you can control on the panel, with a separate switch or button or slider for each thing. It's much easier to experiment, much quicker to get around, and much mor fun to learn. The TX81Z has 92 parameters for each sound, but only half a dozen buttons and a 2-line display to do it with. Not as immediate, more head-scratching, and though it's not impossible to do, it's more awkward - guess which one I prefer to program, and therefore which one I can do more with because I know it better.

From your list, my personal opinion for a starter would be the Juno (6/60), but I'm biased. I hear good things about the Virus, AN1X, Novation and JP8k - they are all VA (virtual analogue) as is the Nord, which from my experience is a good synth with a good sound and as easy to program as any real analogue. I wasn't keen on the sound of the JP8k myself, but haven't spent time with the others. I've already stated my opinion of the microKorg.

If you wanted to get something more complex once you'd learned the way things work, the Andy or Modular would give more flexibility and power, but bear in mind you're likely to be programming the Modular via a computer.

All this is a matter of taste too, so the only way to know is to try something and see if you gel with it.

donniedarko56

Post by donniedarko56 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:17 pm

Thank you for your answer and from the great website you advised me to take a look at ..

I have pretty much made up my mind :

I was maybe thinking of getting a Novation Supernova II (it comes with a keyboard) or maybe a Roland JX8P with an Oberheim Matrix 1000 because as you said, its cheap and looks rather easy to use. Plus, the Oberheim is said to be great for ambient stuff....

Calvary_band
Band: Jordan Passmore/Calvary

Post by Calvary_band » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:56 am

I just saw a Korg Radias go for 450 dollars on eBay; if in fact there is no demand for that synth I would say pick one of those up immediately as it will give you all the tools you'd need to lay the foundation for that kind of sound. There's a lot of nice VSTs out there that will give you the effects you may need. I like using the Korg Legacy pack's Cell effect set personally, which includes a phaser. The Supernova II is great too. I would say stick with a nice VA rather than making a step towards analog, especially if this is your first synth. I've been playing for years and my analog supply is dwindling just because so many people want to pay top dollar for something they associate with, perhaps, the good old days, 80's pop, when new wave could do no wrong? The listener doesn't care about VCO, DCOs, s**t like that. People just want good music and if you have the tools to express yourself that's all you need. A synth like the Radias, the Supernova, or a Virus would suffice quite well.

I have two JX-10s linked, a PG-800 and M64C. The sound of the JX10 is much like the 8P. They sound pretty good but I'd recommend one of those VAs I listed over it. They are very soundtracky and sufficient at that but their scope of sound design is fairly narrow compared to what modern VAs offer.

steveman

Post by steveman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:02 pm

donniedarko56 wrote:... or maybe a Roland JX8P with an Oberheim Matrix 1000 because as you said, its cheap and looks rather easy to use. Plus, the Oberheim is said to be great for ambient stuff....
Err... the Matrix 1000 is cheap, but it's not easy to use. 1U rack, no knobs, only way to program your own sounds is with a computer. Very complex modlations too, that's why it's good for ambient, also not good start with.
The JX8P has no knobs either, can be programmed without but not the best way to learn. Best with either it's own programmer (costs as easily as much as the synth itself), or a MIDI knob box (eg. BCR2000).
As Nathan says, if you're new to this don't spend loads on a Vintage analogue, you'd be better off with a VA with a good set of front panel knobs. Most modern VA's have plenty of modulation options too, makes tham all useable for ambient. Good use of FX is the other part of ambient.

Until you've experimented a bit you wont really know what you want from a synth. You may well surprise youself and find you prefer a digital synth (eg. Blofeld, V-synth) than that vintage analogue you crave. Any synth can of course be used for ambient, by the time you've buried it in FX the source may not matter.

BTW I saw Ulrich at a small gig in London in 2003 (went and said Hi afterwards), seemed to be using one vintage looking synth as master keyboard, but the rest was coming from a Macbook running Logic.