Access Virus A, B, C, Classic and TI

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nicknames

Access Virus A, B, C, Classic and TI

Post by nicknames » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Hey people
Just wondering your thoughts on the Access Virus A, B, C, Classic and TI.
Is there a big difference? Is later better? Or is it just marketing?

jaypodesta

Re: Access Virus A, B, C, Classic and TI

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:49 pm

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:50 pm

nicknames wrote:Hey people
Just wondering your thoughts on the Access Virus A, B, C, Classic and TI.
Is there a big difference? Is later better? Or is it just marketing?
What do you mean with "just marketing"?

good advice: go to Access website and check out the specs of each one

B has more poly than A, C has more poly than B, Ti has more poly than C.... plus other 101 differences
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

nicknames

Post by nicknames » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:06 am

"Just marketing" as in they creep with progress instead of leaps between models.
I know it takes a lot of time and money designing these things but marketing is sometimes bigger than the machine itself.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:41 am

Like the other thread says, there's a jump in polyphony between the A and B, and then the Ti is another big jump over the B. Its not just marketing.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:51 am

access virus a polyphony. 12 with 2 osc per voice, virus TI polyphony 80 with 3 osc's per voice. BIG difference. not to mention the effects and extra oscillator types. not just marketing, i get the feeling the access fellows love the product they make :)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:29 pm

If you don't know Access, they are a relative new company, very specialized on certain type and model of synths.
All their synths have the name VIRUS, despite they are different. I consider the last one, TOTALLY apart from the A, B and C.

They just not do upgrades, each synth has his own flavor, and IMO they are great purchases. Have been used a lot on trance scene, however, they are versatile instruments for several types of music.

they keyboards have exactly the same board of the desktops.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 am

Yeah, the TI is in a class all it's own really. Of the A, B, and C however I was really keen on the C. It just seemed to have a "darker" quality to it than the other two. As for the TI "series" (Polar, Snow, etc.), I currently use a Snow and even though it's not as diverse as the Polar and the TI2 desktop it's still a LOT of power for the price! Honestly Access is an amazing company and as for it being marketing well h**l, they really don't have to promote much because the gear speaks for itself! You simply can't go wrong when considering an Access synth as a possible part of your rig! Especially the TIs!!!

tim_m
Gear: Access Virus KB (x2), C
Akai AX-80
Juno-60
Ensoniq SD-1
Electribe ESX
Lots of guitars
Band: Trace-on.

Post by tim_m » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:50 pm

I use a KB in my home studio and a racked C at the rehearsal space. Both are great, and maybe it's just familiarity, but I like the knob/menu layout of the B more for most things. The way the C groups the oscillators together is nice though. Sound-wise, using the same patches, they don't sound glaringly different, but the C seems to sound colder. Once you get past the presets, they're really great synths with a lot of flexibility.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:53 pm

you cant go wrong any Virus . This company is a huge heavyweight in modern performance synths
Living the Electro Life

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 am

Also, don't get fooled reading "this model sounds better than this other model". They sound at least 95% the same with the same patch, the only difference being the change in DA converters.
The MAIN difference in sound (using the same patch) is that the TI will sound a little quieter than the previous models: this is due to the instrument having such a high maximum polyphony count (consider the B getting max 24 voices, the TI range can go up to 110) that it needs more headroom to play safe.

The TI is really an improvement because of new oscillator models (hypersaw, wavetables, wavetable-powered grain and formant synthesis) and other features ("characters", new distortion types, new filters, works as a soundcard, atomizer, total integration, very good polyphony), if you don't care about those and just want a good VA with a strong signature sound either get a C or a B (or a Clavia Nord Lead or a Waldorf Q :P). Its sound, you either like it or not. It is somewhat dark and bassy, compared to bright Waldorf and Clavia instruments. I personally love it but I strongly suggest hearing good demos of it (aside from the quantity of EDM tracks it has been used on, Keyboard Wizard has excellent videos of the TI 1 which show how it is not only a trance machine, plus there's a lot of different artists using it in different kinds of music, from Depeche Mode to Combichrist to Hans Zimmer). As with everything, my advice is: try to gather the most informations you can get. The internet is a great resource and forums like VSE make it even better.

Rant
About "Total Integration": I was very skeptical at first before buying my TI. I heard all kinds of stories about sound getting degraded going through USB (see my "most active in" thread, dated 2009), that it was unstable, with inconsistent latency, that it drifts... I bought it knowing that it could have had those problems and I was really surprised at how the customer service and the forum are helpful, and though the user manual is a bit lacking on some info and it does take some time to integrate the Virus in your DAW, it has reached a very good level of stability and it doesn't disappoint. Nobody goes j**k on the internet about how good their TI works (except for me :D) and this scared me. Turns out that Virus users OTI are a bunch of complainers who bought the machine thinking it would do all the work automatically, while in reality at least 80% of the users are silently enjoying how good the thing sounds and behaves.
It DOES have some quirks at times, and might get difficult to comprehend at first glance: you just have to read a bit and you'll understand why something happened or why something works in that way. Some people just don't do it or can't cope with it and they cry OTI when and where they should be reading answers that are just some clicks away.
/Rant

Hope this post clarifies some things which are rarely mentioned elsewhere and doesn't generate more confusion. Again, I can't overstate how much I was terrified to buy the TI and waste the money and how pleased I was when I got it.
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:01 pm

@ Roby....your long "rant" was pretty accurate to me. I bought a TI, but I wasn't sure about the stability of it. I was very nervous spending that kind of money on something that might not work as well as I would like it, or as well as it should. I will have to admit that all of my worries were washed away once I got the thing set up correctly and starting using it. It works perfectly, and I couldn't be happier with it.
I also love the layout and controls of it. I find it extremely easy to work with as well. I think Access is one of the best manufacturers out there right now. Plus, the TI is pretty much a do all synth. It can cover just about any kind of music. It also has thousands of presets with endless controls, which make it a synth you could spend years tapping into and just scratch the surface.
Overall, I don't think Access is doing any clever "marketing." In fact, I think word of mouth is one of the biggest reasons they are so popular. They have made, in my opinion, big steps, from model to model, and I am excited to see what they can come up with to try and top the TI.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I had a TI for a little while, didn't like it, so i ditched it and bought a Virus B (backwards i know), but reading reviews and s**t, a lot say that the Virus B is the best of the bunch when it comes to bass etc. The new OS 4.9 brings it up to the Virus C's level.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:41 pm

I've been using the virus series since like 2004 or so - it is my main axe, and favorite synth.

considering there is no real difference in sound between the viruses (I have had the B and TI at the same time, and have played many C's - any difference is negligible, and not important in a mix), I'd say that the TI is "best" for bass simply because it has more ways to shape your bass sound.

the converters changed from the C to the TI (16 bit to 24 bit), but that was due to a need for more headroom, and it actually improves sound quality.

also - the classic IS the B with a new paint job

when running the TI with USB audio its actually 16 bit instead of the normal 24 bit coming out of the analog outputs, but that really doesn't matter at the end of the day

they all sound great, and you really can't go wrong with any (except maybe the A which is lacking in a lot of features in today's world)

I personally barely ever use the TI mode as I'm very comfortable working with it's hardware layout. I've only really used it for archiving patches, but thats really just the way I work.

It seems like with the TI the next step is simply to go fully modular mode, but that doesn't totally seem realistic. It would still be very cool though to imitate the nord G2 in that sense - having a fully modular mode if you use the TI, but still being able to edit and save patches from the hardware. that would be a great way to setup certain synth configurations on the computer and then just edit on the go from the hardware

as for the differences in models:

A had 2 oscs, 12 voices polyphony

B had 24 voices, 3 oscs

C added the moog filter model, 32 voices

TI goes up to 80 voices, TI2 100, snow 50 - added hypersaw, wavetable, grain table, formant tables, tons of new distortions, reverb and delay simultaneously instead of just one or the other, 16 voice multitimbrality that allows each patch to have its own unique fx, the TI mode, comb filters, formant filters, a ring modulator and frequency shifter, characters (glorified eqs to mimic the character of some vintage synths), a tape delay emulation, and a few more things I'm sure I'm forgetting
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:34 am

Joey wrote:TI goes up to 80 voices, TI2 100, snow 50 - added hypersaw, wavetable, grain table, formant tables, tons of new distortions, reverb and delay simultaneously instead of just one or the other, 16 voice multitimbrality that allows each patch to have its own unique fx, the TI mode, comb filters, formant filters, a ring modulator and frequency shifter, characters (glorified eqs to mimic the character of some vintage synths), a tape delay emulation, and a few more things I'm sure I'm forgetting
You forgot the new effects that emulate the sound of certain pedals, that's about it...