Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Re: Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

Post by Ry-Fi » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Yeah, but those FX-20's are beasts. The $5k+ BIN is out to lunch, but it IS a valuable piece and could go for $2k or more. 2-3x overpriced.

As far as my research shows, the Technics is a completely unremarkable piece of nothing, and will probably go for between $0 and $200 (extreme worst case scenario). So it's about, oh.... 10 - infinity x overpriced.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Fair point, I actually know nothing about them.

They all look like ugly old fake-veneer covered battleships to me. :)

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:51 pm

the fx-20s are the next generation after the 70's PASS analog organs from yamaha. They are, though, not analog, they're very digital. I've never played one, but I'd imagine Yamaha went digital because it was cheaper and all the rage at the time. Also more reliable over time.
My guess is that the vast majority of especially us synth-type guys would still much rather have a d-85 or gx/ex-1, but an fx-20 for $1k would be a good deal to someone that knows they like to play organs long-term and wants something reliable.

http://www.electone.com/museum/

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Richard Gear wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Riiiigggghhhtttt.... (planning on selling yours soon? ;) )
At the price they are usually being sold (~400$), it's a deal. I think they are as good as those vintage synths sold at +650$.
1. Nope, never selling my Roland SH 1000. It's place in synth history alone requires me to keep it.

2. I agree - it's as good as any vintage synth (of similar specs) in that department. Lasted a lot longer than my ARP Explorer...

In completed auctions, one sold for $300 + $128 s/h and another for $1000 + s/h $200 for a total of $428 and $1200 respectively.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:32 pm

I think this should be filed under the "slightly ridonkulous" category...

echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:14 am

Read the VSE classified ads and you'll notice enough material to start a 'Ridiculous VSE ads' thread as well.

wertpog

Post by wertpog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:38 am

silikon wrote:I think this should be filed under the "slightly ridonkulous" category...

What would be a good price for a VX-600? They're pretty rare, with a pretty neat looking spec. I'd like one, but I wouldn't want to pay over the going rate (again).
http://modularsamples.com - (public domain samples of classic synths)

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:32 pm

wertpog wrote:What would be a good price for a VX-600? They're pretty rare, with a pretty neat looking spec. I'd like one, but I wouldn't want to pay over the going rate (again).
fwiw, SOMEBODY seems to think $1100 is an ok price. I'd say given what a micro/multi moog goes for, it's not terrible. I'd say the cheapest analog synth in that form factor is the Bass Station Keys ($500 +/-) yamaha cs-01 ($200-400 depending, but getting harder and harder to find) and the new and digital op-1 ($850-1100)

my point: $1100 for something analog and that hard to find isn't "terrible". I'd think the general public would buy them without hesitancy for $800.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by silikon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:54 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:fwiw, SOMEBODY seems to think $1100 is an ok price.
...Aah this old debate again... :)

Just 'coz one person is willing to shell out large dollars for something coined "rare" -- and even that term is quite overused/abused/misused -- doesn't mean that it's worth that in the common market. Maybe who knows, there will be two or three people who see the value and want it. So goes the fickle market of vintage synths (and other things as well).
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I'd say given what a micro/multi moog goes for, it's not terrible.
But other than categorizing them into "vintage analog" I don't think that this would be an appropriate comparison. just the interface difference alone... I also think their description on the auction was somewhat disingenuous; "sounds like an oberheim xpander or matrix" Chances are they were reading the comments here on VSE that random people said about it, and decided to upsell.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:14 pm

fair enough. I'm just offering my opinion. micro/multi has a lot more hands on, but they're also much easier to get your hands on (i'm patting myself on the back for the play on words 8-) ) I was comparing them in size more than anything. Heck a Mek is $850. Loads more flexible I know with lots of knobs and such, but at least "similar" for the sake of a point of reference. Considering Shruthi-1s sell for $4-500 with no keys.....

I should also probably add that I would never pay anything over $4-500 for it in excellent working condition. But, I'm pretty cheap compared to the general public, so I figured $800ish would be a "good" price.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:32 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I'd say the cheapest analog synth in that form factor is the Bass Station Keys ($500 +/-) yamaha cs-01 ($200-400 depending, but getting harder and harder to find) and the new and digital op-1 ($850-1100)
If people are paying $500 for a Bass Station keyboard they're getting ripped of in a big way, those things normally go for $300 tops.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Richard Gear wrote:Read the VSE classified ads and you'll notice enough material to start a 'Ridiculous VSE ads' thread as well.
haha... definitely! (though I have no problems pulling those ads over here when they warrant it)
silikon wrote:But other than categorizing them into "vintage analog" I don't think that this would be an appropriate comparison. just the interface difference alone... I also think their description on the auction was somewhat disingenuous; "sounds like an oberheim xpander or matrix" Chances are they were reading the comments here on VSE that random people said about it, and decided to upsell.
Actually, it's a pretty spot-on comparison. The VX uses the exact same VCO and VCF chips as the Xpander/Matrix 12, and also employs a similarly endowed mod-matrix. Saying that, they still don't sound the same, and you don't get nearly as many filter options on the VX.

And the current price is also pretty accurate if a little high - they were going for more a few years ago, but have kind of fallen in desirability since (and I would just get a virus indigo if you wanted that form factor).
Do you even post on vse bro?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I'd say the cheapest analog synth in that form factor is the Bass Station Keys ($500 +/-) yamaha cs-01 ($200-400 depending, but getting harder and harder to find) and the new and digital op-1 ($850-1100)
If people are paying $500 for a Bass Station keyboard they're getting ripped of in a big way, those things normally go for $300 tops.
the one i sold a couple years ago went for $350 if i remember correctly. last one on ebay was $360.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:05 pm

space6oy wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:Bass Station Keys ($500 +/-)
the one i sold a couple years ago went for $350 if i remember correctly. last one on ebay was $360.
hey - if I want to spew bad information like oil from the exxon-valdex, why can't you guys just let me? :oops: I had thought that the keys were going pretty easy for $400+ and there hasn't been too many test cases lately to verify my suspicions. Thanks anyways.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by silikon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Actually, it's a pretty spot-on comparison.
Sir Ruff wrote:Saying that, they still don't sound the same, and you don't get nearly as many filter options on the VX.

I detect a bit of circular logic there...

Nevertheless, that was precisely what I was complaining about:
silikon wrote:I also think their description on the auction was somewhat disingenuous; "sounds like an oberheim xpander or matrix"
echo 1 > /dev/awesome