Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Re: Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

Post by Don T » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:57 am

OK, is it just me, or does this fall into the truly insane category?

Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:12 am

if it was working it wouldn't.

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:31 pm

and in terrible condition....haaahahaha :? ...this guy at least doubles his prices for everything...wtf

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Don T wrote:OK, is it just me, or does this fall into the truly insane category?

mmm I don't know, If you've seen how much they generally go for lately this might actually not be so bad :?

I wouldn't mind one myself someday, but I really can't believe how much they've gone up in price in recent years...crazy :x

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:58 pm

if you didn't read the description though, they know what they're doing and it doesn't work. they dropped the price from $5000 too.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:27 am

He's baaaaaaack! (Believe it or not, I was interested enough in this to get him on the phone - he's clearly not quite all there, but we had a "normal" conversation.)

Do you even post on vse bro?

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:10 am

Read his last feedback - he failed to go through with the legitimate sale for the CS70m. I would not deal with him.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:49 am

synthparts wrote:Read his last feedback - he failed to go through with the legitimate sale for the CS70m. I would not deal with him.
Er... in his defense, that's the first negative feedback he's ever gotten in 650+ sales... he only just sold a rather pricey jup-8 a while back too. On the other hand though, I believe he may have simply not been happy that the synth didn't sell for what he wanted so he basically balked on it (concocting this 2 voice card issue to cover).

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Apparently teh internets wuz not available when he shelled out on his pricey juno... (read description)

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:24 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
synthparts wrote:Read his last feedback - he failed to go through with the legitimate sale for the CS70m. I would not deal with him.
Er... in his defense, that's the first negative feedback he's ever gotten in 650+ sales... he only just sold a rather pricey jup-8 a while back too. On the other hand though, I believe he may have simply not been happy that the synth didn't sell for what he wanted so he basically balked on it (concocting this 2 voice card issue to cover).

Check the feedback again. He actually only has 7 feedbacks as a seller. The other 600-something are as a buyer. Funny guy. He sells a malfunctioning synth, denys the sale, relists it at BIN 3K, it doesn't sell, then he re-relists it at 3.5K. After reading the description, who wouldn't want to buy from the guy? (or at least get him on the phone for a chat)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Ah, well spotted. That does make a bit of difference! Talking to him made him seem slightly more sane, but not by much. The funny? thing is that he apparently is not keeping track of messages and so keeps randomly responding to ones I already sent him. Weird.

Anyways, the description clearly gives cause for concern; it clearly still has multiple issues.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Apparently teh internets wuz not available when he shelled out on his pricey juno... (read description)

douchey doucherson wrote:plus my wife wants a rolex
:facepalm:
douchey doucherson wrote:Includes my custom made Dubstep supper woble bass patch
:biggrin:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:The funny? thing is that he apparently is not keeping track of messages and so keeps randomly responding to ones I already sent him. Weird. Anyways, the description clearly gives cause for concern; it clearly still has multiple issues.
Funniest eBay description I have ever seen. Looks like he sat down in a fit of rage and started typing, didn't bother to stop until he was finished.

Suburban Jerk

Post by Suburban Jerk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:43 pm

I've always been interested in economics and pricing strategies for business. One thing I've learned through the years is a lot of people refuse to get over the conservative human condition of refusing to let go of something due to the fear of loss and ego protection. Understandably human, but a hurdle in business. It's fundamentally irrational to pay a fee and spend time to enter the market while pricing too far above market value, all else equal. I see it all the time and wonder why people do it for any other reason than fear and ego protection. Or, an ignorant machine/software or business is trying to gauge the market. Or, the listing is simply a decoy/fake to distract and misguide. They are simply losing the fees and time they paid to enter the market. IE they lose to protect themselves against the possibility of loss. Did you feel better doing that?

If you want to sell, price to sell. If you are unsure, or can't fathom selling for much less than what you bought the item for, don't list. People aren't going to over pay unless you can quickly and trustingly prove your item is in mint condition or has some special unique feature that the competition doesn't have.

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:34 pm

:roll: