Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Ridiculous eBay 'Buy-it-now' and starting bids.

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:57 am

I LOL'd.
bonne chance

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm

because of the $1000 BIN. yeah.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 pm

bet this would auction off for maybe half that much.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:42 pm

when a seller sets a price on something that is just so clearly trying to absolutely hose a prospective buyer it is particularly irksome to me. nettlesome even (who knew 6th grade vocabulary would pay off).

$30 for a button and he can't even offer free shipping to the u.s. which should be like $2!!!!!!!!!!!

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:42 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:when a seller sets a price on something that is just so clearly trying to absolutely hose a prospective buyer it is particularly irksome to me. nettlesome even (who knew 6th grade vocabulary would pay off).
I understand where you're coming from, but if this is an extremely rare, hard-to-find item (don't know), it may be priced fairly for the market. (For example a CEM 3340 chip priced at $100, which seems to be typical.) In my view, a price is 'ridiculous' (i.e. worthy of ridicule) only if it is way out-of-line with the market for that item.

The virtues of a free market :twisted:
-- R.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:46 pm

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:03 pm

how much do those usually go for?

walkathon

Post by walkathon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:38 am

space6oy wrote:how much do those usually go for?
Keep me honest, board, but $200-ish? The last two that I saw were in the $50, but that's admittedly low-end and both had issues ... For reference, SP-12 Turbos go for @$500-$700, and those are Drumulators x10.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:29 am

An SP-12 Turbo just sold for $850.- here locally that I know of. SP-1200's go for ridiculous money. I would love one but can't see dishing out 2k for one. Drumulators... I think $200.- is wishful thinking, even though I personally wouldn't shell out the cash for it -- doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. While their buy-it-now price was wishful thinking, and even their beginning price, I think somewhere around $500.- is more in line with reality.

Drumulators and Drumulator II's aren't exactly 10x less an SP-12 (or turbo)... Memory wise they're in the same league. It's not like going from 5 seconds on a SP-12 turbo to 10 seconds on an SP-1200... Interfaces are a touch different, but they're not too far apart in heritage.

The biggest gripe (along with the inflated prices) is the eBayer who can't be bothered to take proper photos of their gear when listing them (this auction included). Great, it's got a midi retrofit. That's not shown in the catalogue of photos. If you're going to the trouble of listing your gear and inflating the price, at least be a good chap and show us all why you think it's worth the extra cabbage.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

walkathon

Post by walkathon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:44 pm

silikon wrote:An SP-12 Turbo just sold for $850.- here locally that I know of. SP-1200's go for ridiculous money. I would love one but can't see dishing out 2k for one. Drumulators... I think $200.- is wishful thinking, even though I personally wouldn't shell out the cash for it -- doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. While their buy-it-now price was wishful thinking, and even their beginning price, I think somewhere around $500.- is more in line with reality.

Drumulators and Drumulator II's aren't exactly 10x less an SP-12 (or turbo)... Memory wise they're in the same league. It's not like going from 5 seconds on a SP-12 turbo to 10 seconds on an SP-1200... Interfaces are a touch different, but they're not too far apart in heritage.

The biggest gripe (along with the inflated prices) is the eBayer who can't be bothered to take proper photos of their gear when listing them (this auction included). Great, it's got a midi retrofit. That's not shown in the catalogue of photos. If you're going to the trouble of listing your gear and inflating the price, at least be a good chap and show us all why you think it's worth the extra cabbage.

Hmm, have never seen a Drumulator go for $500, or even $400 for that matter. Maybe prices have gone apesh*t in the past year? SP-12's and Drumulators have the same stock sounds (right?), but I would say the fact you can sample w/ an SP-12 and can't w/ a Drumulator is enough justification for an SP alone. Sure you can burn and swap out EPROMS, but I'd rather wait 12 mins for a 1541 save vs chip pulling fun. :ugeek:

And yes, completely agree about c**p auction photos.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:26 am

Having had both an SP-12 Turbo and a Drumulator (still have the SP), I can attest that sound quality-wise the SP is way superior to the Drumulator (10x might not be exaggerating), never mind the other differences (sampling, memory, etc.). I do not recall the two having the same stock sounds either. The Drumulator felt and sounded more like a beginning prototype of where e-mu hoped to go in the future than something that was ready for prime-time. So yeah, I would say he's in SP territory with that asking price.
-- R.

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:53 pm

$1200 for a Prophet 600.
Firm price, and low ballers will be ignored... Good luck with that!
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et- ... Z411983022
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:35 pm

My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:14 pm

He has to list them in Montreal, because he knows he won't sell them in Toronto...
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)