POST ANY INTERESTING EBAY / CRAIGSLIST LISTINGS HERE!!!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
jaypodesta

Re: POST ANY INTERESTING EBAY / CRAIGSLIST LISTINGS HERE!!!

Post by jaypodesta » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:55 am

Anyone else had a look at this? Not sure why the 2 "connector areas" are in such a bad way after service.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:33 am

oh how I tried not to click the button... but this was a good price and my keyboard took a c**p recently that may/may not be repairable. there's nothing quite like it.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 am

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:oh how I tried not to click the button... but this was a good price and my keyboard took a c**p recently that may/may not be repairable. there's nothing quite like it.

Wow, congrats. BTW, the youtubes could use a decent WSA1R demo, hint hint. :keys1:

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 pm

yeah we've needed a write up for that guy for a while too. It's amazing how well known and loved it seems to be in studio setups but few users otherwise know about it. it's really accessible and fun sound designing.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:30 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:yeah we've needed a write up for that guy for a while too. It's amazing how well known and loved it seems to be in studio setups but few users otherwise know about it. it's really accessible and fun sound designing.
Interesting, I know nothing about it, care to describe what it's good at, kind of sounds etc?

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:00 pm

the short version is it's a sort of virtual acoustic work station. technics bread and butter is obviously pcm type sounds of which we don't care too much about. But the voice structure of the wsa1 is really cool. for each voice you have four pcm sounds. Those sounds then pass through up to four "resonators". The resonators are filters meant to mimic the varieties of filters a real life sound would go through. like the cone of a trumpet, or a plucked string, or a bowed string etc etc. My favorite are the tube resonators. it's like passing every sound you can imagine through a giant tube. you can get some pretty seriously weird bells and that.

You can change how the individual sounds react to the resonators, envelope control of the filtering over time etc. The nomenclature is a little different than what we're otherwise used to (i.e.: position instead of cutoff) but it's all the same. There's pitch envelope, filter envelope, amplitude envelope, lfos, aftertouch etc. The routings are pretty extensive through the filtering etc.

the much shorter and less convoluted answer is that you have 4 pcm sounds that then pass through a huge variety of filters that stray pretty far from the normal state variable's on most machines. That's the basic voice structure, and then you have pretty extensive control over the modulations. BESIDES it's still a work station type setup, so you have some drums, some sequencing,......and.....the....best....part....... IT'S MULTI-TIMBRAL!!!!! so you can have a ton of parts stacked on top of each other for big gooey sound that's actually remarkably easy to program. The only drawback I've found to using them is that a) the sysex drops only do the whole machine, so there's no computer programming of anything and no easy patch swap out b) There's less than 1000 in the world of the combined racks and keyboards. so there's not a very complete user base and if it breaks you're screwed. it's worth it though, definitely.

i'll do a demo when the rack comes, the world needs one (in english - the french one on youtube is actually not too bad, but the sound sucks).

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:56 pm

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm

i'll mortgage the farm if it goes for less than $3k

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Cool to see. Very ballsy seller. Could go low or high. The prices for these go all over the place so it will be interesting to see what a no-reserver goes for. I'm gonna say about 4k-plus or minus 300.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 pm

daddy likey.....

44 more hp worth of modules (a vco, a filter, and some room left!) and a tip top happy ending kit, and you could have a nice little modular for under $1k. more flexible than the pburg one coming out.....

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm

agreed, that's pretty hot. surprised he didn't include a filter in there too though.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:15 pm

I would have used the other half of the vca for a filter, but what do i know....? I think it's kind of nice the way it is though because it's all the basic modules crammed in a nice little space. 44hp for that amount of stuff you know you always need is awesome. the midi/cv is worth $100 pretty quick on it's own. the recycling adsr is so incredibly useful....

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:24 am

mint 2600 in philly, $7500 but still a looker.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/2923674298.html

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:17 pm

JP6 in mint condition for 1,700. I paid 500 more last year for the same deal. Me thinks it'll be gone real fast!

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/msg/2939652017.html
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:25 am

I have an eye on it, but I would prefer one already fitted with Europa.
(Really, I must think about setting my priorities straight!)
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho