Beats by DRE Headphones - I'm looking for a review

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Re: Beats by DRE Headphones - I'm looking for a review

Post by cartesia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:13 pm

yeah those headphones look horrible :lol: the dre ones and the others.

Here's my review of the dre cans:

They look s**t, they're almost guaranteed to be overpriced, they probably are useless for mixing.
The end.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:39 am

Give me a break, you're seeking an honest audio quality review of a style based product? You jest...
These have more bling:
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:07 am

Umbe78 wrote:near exact :) !! mixing without turning on my HS50M ... (while my girlfriend sleeps/ watches tv/ other.. )

I wish same (or more) quality monitors as them..

Now that I know what you want them for you'd be better off buying some in-ear monitors. Eventually you could get impressions made and take off the foam tips. This way they are custom fitted for your ears only and it will cause less fatigue than wearing bass pounding buckets like the beats.

A quick search on ebay showed that the Dre phones are about $260. For a little more ($10) you could get the Westone UM2 in ears. They are quality monitors/headphones that have great reviews all over the web from joe schmoes to audiophiles. You could even go with some Sennheisers, like the HD 280 or HD 25's, (preferably the HD 25-1's) for about $100 less than the Beats. Basically, if you are using them for mixing/monitoring you want closed back headphones. I don't think the Beats offer this, but I couldn't tell because the website doesn't give any specs - that should tell you something right there.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:33 am

be careful with in-ear plugs,

creating an air-tight seal around your ears mean alot of air pressure ramming your delicate ear bits.. so if you're going to get some, never listen to them very loud.

As far as other headphones, I asked around a while back and everyone recommended AKG

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:24 pm

guesswho wrote:you'd be better off buying some in-ear monitors..
Wrong application. He'd be paying for almost total isolation, which one doesn't need for mixing. In ears are for live monitoring.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:16 pm

madtheory wrote:
guesswho wrote:you'd be better off buying some in-ear monitors..
Wrong application. He'd be paying for almost total isolation, which one doesn't need for mixing. In ears are for live monitoring.
Yes, but for something that can double up with your iPod these (UM2's) fit the bill, but you are correct and I should have made that a little more clearer. Either way the HD 25-1's would be a better headphone than the Beats for about the same price.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q