Can't choose between Yamaha Motif Rack ES & Roland Fantom XR

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
rickyd

Can't choose between Yamaha Motif Rack ES & Roland Fantom XR

Post by rickyd » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:56 am

Yamaha Motif Rack ES & Roland Fantom XR

My question is which one between the 2 has better sounds for modern type of R&B and stuff like that, like realistic instruments as well as pads? To help you help me out better, the type of music that I do is actually late 80s revival type of stuff, but I want more modern and realistic sounds so the music won't sound dated. My genre is basically a fusion of dancehall, dub, neo-soul, r&b, funk, and subtle elements of new jack swing (depending on the song).

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Can't choose between Yamaha Motif Rack ES & Roland Fantom XR

Post by braincandy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:36 am

I thought you needed a Korg 01W/R, Roland D-550, Arturia Jupiter8V and want a Kawai K5m?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:37 am

It's not the easiest answer, but... I think it's best if you just demo them yourself, in person, not online/mp3.
I personally cannot stand the sound of roland romplers (they sound cheap and brittle to me) and love the fullness (imo) of yamahas. Other people will have the exact opposite response.
your dollars, your ears.

I just noticed that want/need list... that's a wacky bunch.

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:44 am

braincandy wrote:I thought you needed a Korg 01W/R, Roland D-550, Arturia Jupiter8V and want a Kawai K5m?

That list is waaaay old. lol. Thanks for bringing that up b/c I forgot to update it. At that time, it's what I THOUGHT I wanted.

As for checking them out in person, if I could do that, I would have no need to ask any questions here, so the only option I have is to listen to whatever audio there is posted online. Synthmania would be a good source, but it doesn't have anything for these 2 synths (Well, it does for the Fantom, but the page is very incomplete.).

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:15 am

You can always check out YouTube for user demos or the Roland or Yamaha websites for demos. I don't know of anyone around here who is doing what you're wanting to do stylistically. That's why I recommend YT or the company websites.

Additionally, you might want to post this on Harmony Central's KSS forum as a lot of people who are posting there don't necessarily post here:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... y.php?f=18
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:36 am

braincandy wrote:You can always check out YouTube for user demos or the Roland or Yamaha websites for demos. I don't know of anyone around here who is doing what you're wanting to do stylistically. That's why I recommend YT or the company websites.

Additionally, you might want to post this on Harmony Central's KSS forum as a lot of people who are posting there don't necessarily post here:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... y.php?f=18

I believe I will probably go with the Motif Rack ES. I just read on various websites that it's better for the all-around bread-and-butter realistic sounds that are used in like Pop, R&B, and the like, and has a lot of sounds to choose from - Which is pretty much what I need - while the Fantom XR is better for pads.

From what I've read also, is that the sonic character is more defined and real, while the Fantom XR is a bit smoother and not as defined.