Any basic modern ROMplers available?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Any basic modern ROMplers available?

Post by braincandy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:17 am

I had an AN1x on 3 prior occasions. It can be "fat" or "lush", but you have to invest time in tweaking and making your own sounds. Don't judge it on its presets as they don't represent all it can do.

Here's a demo on Sealed's Deep Synthesis site which features a demo of it from Sealed and then Don Solaris:
http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/ds_an1x.html

Info:
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:19 am

braincandy wrote:I had an AN1x on 3 prior occasions. It can be "fat" or "lush", but you have to invest time in tweaking and making your own sounds. Don't judge it on its presets as they don't represent all it can do.

Here's a demo on Sealed's Deep Synthesis site which features a demo of it from Sealed and then Don Solaris:

Info:

Cool. I heard the sounds from that link, as well as vids on youtube. I may get that PLG150-AN board for my motif rack, I dunno. I did want to get a Roland JX-10 because I want the literal lush fatness it provides though.

On a different note, I'm happy with the rack and all, but not fully satisfied like I want. It's just like playing with the Korg M1 in that I get tired of it easily. Not really inspiring for long term use. I was wondering if I fully expand it with the said boards that I was gonna get (On the first page), if it would be on par with the ES version (As far as sound quality goes)?

I also wonder if the original rack can load the patches from the ES rack version.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Are you programming your own sounds or just using the presets? There should be enough stock material in any rompler to where you can get plenty of variety.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:37 pm

braincandy wrote:Are you programming your own sounds or just using the presets? There should be enough stock material in any rompler to where you can get plenty of variety.
I'm just using the presets. I got it essentially to use the acoustic presets. Some of them are good, but others could be better. I guess that's why I'm anxious to see if the expansion boards got better varieties on them.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Here's a link to the review of the Motif Rack @ SoundonSound:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jun03/a ... ifrack.asp

Within the article, there is a list of the expansion boards. Google them or try YouTube to see if you can listen to some demos. That would be my only suggestion if you're focusing on acoustic sounds (I don't mess with acoustic emulation very much, either).

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 am

rickyd wrote:I may get that PLG150-AN board for my motif rack, I dunno. I did want to get a Roland JX-10 because I want the literal lush fatness it provides though.
I own the board in the AN200 and it's a great lit'l synth. But nothing compared to the JX10 or MKS-70 in term of lush and fatness.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 pm

The PLG150-AP board by all accounts isn't really worth the money. I don't have first hand experience, that's just what I've read. I think the stock piano in the Motif is quite good.

To get the most expressiveness out of the VL instruments, you're going to need a breath controller. And then of course the Motif series is the first from Yamaha where they decided to drop BC inputs. So you'll need a box from MIDI Solutions to add a BC input to your MIDI stream. Yay.

rickyd

Layering Motif Rack with plug-in boards

Post by rickyd » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:20 am

Let me ask something. Is it possible to layer the Motif's on-board sounds with those of the plug-in boards? If so, that would be neat, like having those pristine, authentic acoustic samples layered over the FM sounds of the PLG150-DX or the analog sounds of the PLG150-AN.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:17 am

You might look at some of the older E-mu proteus lines as well .
However if you're game to go the keyboard route instead you could look in to the Yamaha MM6, Roland Juno D or DI , or a Korg X50 .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:57 pm

loungedumore wrote:You might look at some of the older E-mu proteus lines as well .
However if you're game to go the keyboard route instead you could look in to the Yamaha MM6, Roland Juno D or DI , or a Korg X50 .
Lol, this is old :D . I already found the ROMpler I needed. Thx anyway.

What I wanted to know now was stated in my previous post.