Power Strips? Conditioners? What else do I need HELP

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Power Strips? Conditioners? What else do I need HELP

Post by nadafarms » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:00 pm

So I'm finally going to setup a proper minimal studio and the first thing I know I need is a ton of plug outlets because I have so much outboard gear that needs to be plugged in.

Does anyone know a good brand of power conditioner/surge protector/power strips etc? I just want to make sure I don't fry my gear and want a ton of outlets.

Should I just buy a couple of those furman power condtioners?

Any other suggestions about what people use to power everything would be great.

Also can anyone recommend decent desks for music production that don't break the bank?

Also what about wall mount keyboard stands I can't find any when I search.

Would appreciate any help, thanks!!!!
for sale/trade: EML-101

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Power Strips? Conditioners? What else do I need HELP

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:52 am

Hey Nadafarms,

I hear Furman are a good brand - can't go wrong if you get a couple of them. I have a Samson power conditioner that I hope to set up to use with my rack gear, basically I like to spread the load on the wall sockets, so if you have several I thinks it's best to split up the total of your gear's power needs between the wall outlets, then maybe have a few power conditioners for clusters of gear - so perhaps one furman for Rack 1, another for Rack 2, and one for synth stack 1 and another for synth stack 2 - Anyway, thats just my thoughts. :wink:

Ikea apparently have some good budget desks that can be used for production purposes, Argosy is another good one but much more expensive.

As far as wall mount synth stands I think to only one available is here;

http://www.lmproducts.com/dspStandtasticWallmounts.cfm

Cheers :D

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:23 am

i've got a couple Furman power conditioners in my rack, you can't go wrong with them. i also split them among outlets. if you have a massive amount of stuff, you might need to split them into different circuits (it's not unusual to have all of the outlets in a room on a single circuit)... but unless you have a bunch of amps plugged in and 500W lights, this won't be an issue.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:01 am

If you want to really protect your gear against brown-outs and spikes, get a Tripp-Lite power re-conditioner. I live in an old home and sometimes digital gear can act flakey for seemingly no reason. Digital gear wants nice clean power. A line reconditioner will take any juice from 80 to 150volts and give you nice, clean 115vac.

As for desks, I made my own.

That picture is over a year old. It has a lot more synths on it now. :)