Drum Machine Advice

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
swisstony123
Gear: Oberheim Xpander|Prophet 5|Korg Polysix|Roland Juno 106|Ensoniq ESQ-1|Synthesizers.com System-22|Roland SH-09|Roland JV-1080|Prophet 64|Matrix-1000

Drum Machine Advice

Post by swisstony123 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a drum machine sequencer/sampler and I've been researching for a long while but with not much luck. Whilst I'd love to go for a classic Rythm ace or a Linn drum they are just not practical enough for me, in the sense that they all do what they do but not alot else and I need as much bang for my buck as possible. I realise to some that drum machines are a bit outdated these days, but I'm not a fan of drum software and I build all my drum patterns from single drum hits in Sonar. What I want to do is be able to get away from the computer and use my wav drum hits and make my own sounds if possible all in one box. I've been looking at an Elektron machine drum but I'm unsure of the difference between the really expensive one and the expensive one. Anyway any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Modula ... zer_Group/

Just started, a group for all shapes, sizes and styles of Modular Synths new or old.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: Drum Machine Advice

Post by Syn303 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:26 pm

The MD-UW mkII will allow you store 48 ROM samples (3 kits max), although this is the expensive option. Or alternatively you could look the MPC's,as they will store more WAV samples than the UW, but the reason for the limitation of storage on the UW is, that Elektron wants the user to be more creative with it, rather than use it as just a sampler for storing old drum machine samples.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

swisstony123
Gear: Oberheim Xpander|Prophet 5|Korg Polysix|Roland Juno 106|Ensoniq ESQ-1|Synthesizers.com System-22|Roland SH-09|Roland JV-1080|Prophet 64|Matrix-1000

Post by swisstony123 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Syn303 wrote:The MD-UW mkII will allow you store 48 ROM samples (3 kits max), although this is the expensive option. Or alternatively you could look the MPC's,as they will store more WAV samples than the UW, but the reason for the limitation of storage on the UW is, that Elektron wants the user to be more creative with it, rather than use it as just a sampler for storing old drum machine samples.
Thanks for the reply, can I ask what made you choose the Elektron over say an MPC and are you happy with it? I must admit I read Elektrons reasoning over the small amount of space and it left me feeling a little dubious also I assume then that the non UW Elektron doesn't have the ability to sample or store user kits, I also heard there's a RAM and a ROM version. Apologies for all the questions and Thanks again for the quick reply

Just started, a group for all shapes, sizes and styles of Modular Synths new or old.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:10 pm

Budget?
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

swisstony123

Post by swisstony123 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:27 pm

balma wrote:Budget?
£750+ possibly around a grand

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:37 pm

You want an MPC1000 or 2500. The Elektrons are more creative tools than sample playback devices, and if you're writing your drums in Sonar anyway the advantages of the MD won't be used, and you'll get annoyed when you come up against the 2MB sample size again and again, versus 128MB in the MPCs.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:50 pm

Agree with that statement. and budget is decent.

And just a correction: drum machines are not outdated....

There are several MPCs, the biggest ones are really music production centers.

MPC40, 60, 500, 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000 and 5000.....

There is a preconception that they are aimed to the hip hop market, even the Akai videos, show guys making hip hop, but that's bullshit, the sound of a sample based drum machine depends of you, they are good almost for everything.

With one MPC you'll be able to load all those .wavs into the Akai, and mangle them.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

swisstony123

Post by swisstony123 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:35 am

balma wrote:Agree with that statement. and budget is decent.

And just a correction: drum machines are not outdated....

There are several MPCs, the biggest ones are really music production centers.

MPC40, 60, 500, 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000 and 5000.....

There is a preconception that they are aimed to the hip hop market, even the Akai videos, show guys making hip hop, but that's bullshit, the sound of a sample based drum machine depends of you, they are good almost for everything.

With one MPC you'll be able to load all those .wavs into the Akai, and mangle them.

Yes I agree that MPC's are generally preconceived as "Hip-Hop machines" though thats partly due aswell to the genre of "MPC hip hop". What are the MPC's like to program, the newer ones? I know the old akai rack samplers could be a nightmare to use and I must admit it is one of the other reasons I like the sequencer button layout of the Elektron for ease of use. Oh and don't get me wrong I don't think drum machines are outdated but that seems to be the general consensus from most people and the manufactures these days. :wink:

Oh and one other thing are the Elektrons capable of of making warm analogue sounding drums the "fluffy" sort that you'd get from say a korg mini-pops or a wurlitzer? I like the idea of clean and rough...of course bearing in mind that this machine is digital.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:53 am

any mpc would be a good choice with the modern ones being more friendly with files from the computer.

otherwise the korg esx is a nice drum machine sampler that's easy and fast and fun to use if you don't mind some limitations.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:56 pm

fuc*kin AKAI have been making a lot of money on the hip hop "buzinezzzz"

There is a website where they customize the MPC with hip hop paint related.

they have become the "state-of-the-art" instruments for hip hop creation.

Obviously is only one between dozens of applications.

Must admit, they are good instruments. AKAI has almost 28-30 years doing samplers.

Drill
Gear: Electro Faustus EF101, DSI MoPho,Korg DDD1,ZOOM MRT-3b,a few guitar pedals, bells, hammers, sheet metal, junk percussion, and whatever else
Band: Cranial Drill

Post by Drill » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:33 am

tape recorder, organ from the local thrift shop, and "BAMM" there is your rhythm tape.

swisstony123

Post by swisstony123 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:37 am

Drill wrote:tape recorder, organ from the local thrift shop, and "BAMM" there is your rhythm tape.
Oh how I instantly like you for saying that and in my heart of hearts (lol) I know your right, I'm kicking myself for not keeping an old organ for that very reason, however I need something a little more complete.

What are peoples thoughts on the JoMox 888 or 999? Are they purely 808/909 clones or are they capable of much more? i.e the mini-pops cr-78 etc etc

Drill
Gear: Electro Faustus EF101, DSI MoPho,Korg DDD1,ZOOM MRT-3b,a few guitar pedals, bells, hammers, sheet metal, junk percussion, and whatever else
Band: Cranial Drill

Post by Drill » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:24 pm

swisstony123 wrote:
Drill wrote:tape recorder, organ from the local thrift shop, and "BAMM" there is your rhythm tape.
Oh how I instantly like you for saying that and in my heart of hearts (lol) I know your right, I'm kicking myself for not keeping an old organ for that very reason, however I need something a little more complete.

What are peoples thoughts on the JoMox 888 or 999? Are they purely 808/909 clones or are they capable of much more? i.e the mini-pops cr-78 etc etc
well depending on what you're looking for the joMox units can be nice, though pricey, if you want an exact clone of the 808 or 909 then go buy one from this guy at www.mfberlin.de

they're afordable and compact, perfect for live shows.

and if you wanna be ultra cheap, find a korg ddd1 or a zoom mrt-3B, h**l I could sell you both of mine, I'm not using them.

swisstony123

Post by swisstony123 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Drill wrote:
swisstony123 wrote:

well depending on what you're looking for the joMox units can be nice, though pricey, if you want an exact clone of the 808 or 909 then go buy one from this guy at http://www.mfberlin.de

they're afordable and compact, perfect for live shows.

and if you wanna be ultra cheap, find a korg ddd1 or a zoom mrt-3B, h**l I could sell you both of mine, I'm not using them.
Hmmm I'll look into the korg ddd1 and the zoom mrt-3b :wink:

ahh what I mean about the JoMox's is are they capable of a wide range of analogue drum types not just 808, 909.

thefleeingloaf
Gear: Virus Indigo, Machinedrum, MBase-01, Microkorg, MFB-503

Post by thefleeingloaf » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 am

In case you still haven't made a decision and are considering MFB gear, I felt I should respond to this thread. I have the MFB-503, and all I can say is "meh."

I tried to like it, because the kick, snare, and toms are analogue, and you can get some good sounds out of it sometimes. But it's unstable and the toms are lacking. Plus it has WAY too many limitations, including:

1) You cannot pan each part as you wish
2) Three mono outputs: BD, snare, everything else
3) Lots of noise
4) Instability
5) Workable but pretty inconvenient sequencer/work flow

I love hardware drums for their knobs, tweakability, and ease of use. MFB kind of lacks in that department. I had a Korg ER-1, and I have to hand it to Korg for their brilliant design. The kicks and snares were thin, and the hats were just okay, but it was incredibly easy to use.

The Machinedrum looks the same way, and I'm thinking of getting one myself. But damn, I wish there were a good option in the intermediate price range (ie under $1000)!