First Synth for an Industrial Musician

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Drill
Gear: Electro Faustus EF101, DSI MoPho,Korg DDD1,ZOOM MRT-3b,a few guitar pedals, bells, hammers, sheet metal, junk percussion, and whatever else
Band: Cranial Drill

First Synth for an Industrial Musician

Post by Drill » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:19 pm

Ok, so I have an Idea of what I want in a synth, here are the specs for a posible selection

under $400usd

preferably analog, but can be digital, knobs and sliders and switches are a must(i love those little things)
preferably Mono-phonic, chords get me too carried away
at least 2 ocsillators, noise function a must
i hate digital interfaces, though they are more prevalent these days
must be portable, at the very least.

http://www.myspace.com/cranialdrill

this is the type of stuff I create, though I also create lite electro though I have none to present.

any help would be apreciated.

thank you for your time.

Drill
Last edited by Drill on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: First Synth for an Industrial Musician

Post by balma » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Man:

analog, and under $400, you are pretty limiting the possibilities.

Definitly AKAI AX 80 and AX60 are synths with a strong, harsh sound very recomendable for industrial music.

But they are ZERO portable. AX 60 is my heaviest synth. But also, it has the heaviest sound.

There is a demo from Jexus on youtube where you can hear that rusty sound.

I have one, they were on $350 6 years ago. I don't know its actual price, but have a long time without seeing one on EBAY.

You MUST add at leas $100-200 more, to have a wider spectrum of possibilities, since the AX series is becoming rare on the last years.

I don't know the DSI Mophito, but is under $400, is analog and portable.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:38 pm

Although there are no plethera of sliders, the Ensoniq ESQ-1 & SQ-80 have three oscillators per voice, analog filters and capable of some nice analog and gritty digital sounds.

+1 on the Akai AX60 - my 1st "pro" synth which I regret selling. I wouldn't mind getting another if i can find one under $250. They're certainly worth more these days, I'm just limited on space, so I would have to make room if I found a deal.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:08 am

definitely the ESQ or SQ80

Dane_Xoth
Gear: Attack uWXT Edition uQ Prophecy, W/S ex, MS 2Kr ER1 EA1 RADIAS
A X V Bk Br D SB Station,
DJ70mII R-70 S760
Spectrum Bass+Synth
FB383
Absinthe
Band: Dane[X]oth, Dortmunder

Post by Dane_Xoth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:08 pm

I've never heard a filter like the AX60's. It has a character that i have only ever been able to describe as 'industrial'.

+1 on the DSI Mopho (or the Evolver) if you want something nice.

I would also recommend the Novation A-Station, but you will need a controller keyboard. (Yu may beable to find an X-station for budget which has the synth, keys AND a USB audio + MIDI interface)

If you are looking for sonically mangled drone loops check out the Yamaha A-series samplers. Lots of different filter types and distortion effects.
Bend it to fit, Paint it to match.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:36 pm

you could also be able to find a waldorf microwave I for that money. it's only analog filters, but it sounds great and can be really aggressive / harsh. you would need a programmer or software editor to truly benefit from it.

but my tip is to save some money and get a korg ms10 or better yet 20

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:44 pm

My idea of industrial may be dated but analog monosynth doesn't strike me as the first choice for an industrial synth. If that’s what your after though I think the evolver would make a great industrial synth and will run you about $400. As others have mentioned the ESQ-1/SQ-80 is a classic industrial standard, used heavily by skinny puppy way back when. It is hybrid digital/analog. Also the Akai isn’t a bad choice, my AX80 has tight oscillators and can be both very punch and aggressive for a vintage poly, good bass machine. Also, Casio CZ synths strike me as useful for industrial and can be had cheap. I imagine if you looked around you could probably pick up a CZ and an esq-1 within your budget. You might also consider a gritty old sampler.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

haydenvan
Gear: Roland SH-101, CSQ-600, Korg KR-55, Ensoniq SQ80, Akai MPC1000

Post by haydenvan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:48 pm

Ashe37 wrote:definitely the ESQ or SQ80
second that. you could find an sq80 for 300 or under if you look. i got mine for that much. very versatile. can get some nice metallic/fm industrial sounds and also nice analog sounds. has a nice analog filter.

Drill: I absolutely love your avatar. boyd rice and cats is an amazing combination.

Dogpupkus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Dogpupkus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Korg Poly-61 !

This is a bit bias, because I just picked one up... but I found out that the Korg Poly-61 can get Very nasty. It sounds pretty awesome, and I definintaly see it in a Industrial Genre'd Environment.

It has 2 DCO's so its oscillators are stable.

I see them on eBay all the time going for $120-200. The Korg Poly-61M even has MIDI. The regular Poly-61 does not, but don't let that stop you from making some sweet and Industrial sounding programs. It's got a nice Arpeggiator too. Editing can get a bit tedious, but Ive found out its easy to get used to. Save your patches, and bam.

+2 to the Korg Poly-61
+1 to the Ensoniq ESQ-1
+1 to The Akai AX60, but you just gotta look hard for them anymore. I love mine.

Not super portable, but whatever. That's my 2 cents.

Drill
Gear: Electro Faustus EF101, DSI MoPho,Korg DDD1,ZOOM MRT-3b,a few guitar pedals, bells, hammers, sheet metal, junk percussion, and whatever else

Post by Drill » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 pm

pflosi wrote:you could also be able to find a waldorf microwave I for that money. it's only analog filters, but it sounds great and can be really aggressive / harsh. you would need a programmer or software editor to truly benefit from it.

but my tip is to save some money and get a korg ms10 or better yet 20

I was thinking about saving up for an ms 10, mainly because I have messed with one before and got amazing sounds from it, if only I had a fuzz box and chorus at the time, I would have had my sound for sure.

but yes, i will look into a waldorf.

and to the folks that keep recomending synths that skinny puppy used, if I was going for that sound, I would pick them up, but I am going for that late seventies early eighties boyd/EG/SPK sound, the more noise but structured sound.

so thank you for your input but I just can't do those synths, the digital interface makes me go crazy, I HATE PRESSING THE SAME BUTTON FOR 6 STAIGHT HOURS JUST TO GET THE ATTACK EXACTLY WHERE I WANT IT!!!!

that being said, I was going to buy a kit for a mfos soundlab, to get started, but now i am reconsidering that.

haydenvan
Gear: Roland SH-101, CSQ-600, Korg KR-55, Ensoniq SQ80, Akai MPC1000

Post by haydenvan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:00 am

why an ms10 or wait for an ms20. if you're doing this noise electronics stuff (listened to your page, sounds awesome :D ) why not go with a yamaha cs15? same price as an ms10 with tons of flexibility and different sounds. and i see you like synthesizers that fart. i had a cs15 and always considered it quite "farty." :lol:

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:19 am

For under 400$....

Infamous microkorg. The less notorious X-Station would give yuo the most bang for the bucks in terms of polyphony, features, sliders, effects. I know you wanted a single voice synth, but at that price, kind off limit the possibility. You could dwelve in the FM or PM real with old Yamaha DX-?, SY-? or Casio synths.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

Drill

Post by Drill » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:02 am

haydenvan wrote:why an ms10 or wait for an ms20. if you're doing this noise electronics stuff (listened to your page, sounds awesome :D ) why not go with a yamaha cs15? same price as an ms10 with tons of flexibility and different sounds. and i see you like synthesizers that fart. i had a cs15 and always considered it quite "farty." :lol:

I LOVE FART PIANOS

I have been looking into a CS15, but I have not come by one, I am going to see if can get an MFOS Soundlab from a friend for the x-mas, and save my money and look for a cs-15, because I have seen and heard the capabilities of it, I think It's what I am looking for.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:55 pm

You could consider the DOEPFER Dark Energy.

It's fully analog, with controllers and knobs for every features. It's a very simple synth, fun to use. It can sound really aggressive and raw. It has only a single oscillator but the dual LFO, the Frequency and Pulse Width modulation makes it really expressive.

With a distortion pedal it could be a perfect set up for your industrial tracks.

It cost a bit more than $400, but I think it worth it. It's a very cool little monster.

Uncoat
Gear: Korg Trident, Korg DW-6000, Roland Juno 6, Yamaha vss-30, Casio CZ-1000 Yamaha DX-21, Yamaha CS-30, CDJ 800MK2

Post by Uncoat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:01 pm

I would save up more dough and get a Synthi AKS like SPK used.