Matrix 1000 - to buy or not to buy?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Matrix 1000 - to buy or not to buy?

Post by mao » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:52 am

Hi,

I found a Matrix1000 for a quite good price, I'm asking myself if it will give me something more (you can see what I own in "gear" on the right). Basically I like the idea to have a real OB... well just a cutted down version.

I know that N2RX, V-Synth, evolver and voyager are (luckily) not comparable to the matrix1000... what I'm trying to figure out is if the korgEX8000 is similar sounding... and if the Andromeda simply "covers" the matrix1000 palette kicking it's a##. I read everywhere that the Matrix1000 is good for pads, horns and brasses... with a little dark color on them... well I think the EX8000 is exactly good for the same... but, you know... I like hardware... please give me a good reason to buy a Matrix1000 or several to NOT buy it.

p.s. ok don't answer "buy... because you want it" :D

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: Matrix 1000 - to buy or not to buy?

Post by plikestechno » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:32 am

It sounds very 80s. If you want something that sounds very 80s buy it. With a MIDI controller it is a lot of fun.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:40 am

I love 80ies sounds, that's why I bought a Korg-EX8000. Is it quite different?

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Think Matrix 6 (the same architecture - with modulation sources madness, nearly the same engine - nearly the same sound), but unfortunately it's mostly a "preset" machine - unless you'll get used to external editor.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=51931

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:26 am

i have the matrix 6r and the dw-8000. they sound diferrent but i guess they can be used in the same ways succesfully . (for nice evolving pads ). my DW is not being used at the time and i migth sell it.

i would say the matrix has more grain. is less fluid but still really smooth if you want. the possibility and features are good and plenty on this one but it is a lot of work to program and understand in comparision to the DW/EX .

the matrix really has a personal character, like frozen fat that you can melt down in a microwave * . i usualy like to say cold heath but it probably makes no sense.

you know you cant edit the sounds from the matrix 1000 interface?

i have a question for you : doesn't the Andromeda covers the EX-8000 ground ??

personally if i ever get my hands on the andromeda i wonder if i would need any of them.

on the other hand if its really cheap and you are in a good financial situation and you dont need something else more, why not .
then you can compare it yourself with the others and decide wich to keep.

*(no reference to the synth by that name here)

mao

Post by mao » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:58 am

druzz wrote: i have a question for you : doesn't the Andromeda covers the EX-8000 ground ??
personally if i ever get my hands on the andromeda i wonder if i would need any of them.
...well the answer is straight simple: NO

The Andromeda is a beast nothing to say. But It has VCO and this mean phase cancellation. So imho if you like analogs you need at least two kind: VCO and DCO. DCO have near to zero phase cancellation giving more "pressure" to the sound but without the "life/organic" sound you get with VCO. That's why I keep the EX8000. It's DWGS I know but it sounds really like a good analog with DCO. There are some dark full bodies pads I have done with the EX that are simply impossible to recreate with the Andy... and a lot more organic Andy pad you can't do with the EX. I tried Prophet08 and I really don't like it's powerful but DCO static sound. The Andy sounds far better... BUT a small DCO analog is always welcome... that's why it's better keeping cheap and wonderful synths like the DW/EX8000 or the Matrix series.

So... my suggestion is: Keep it.

druzz

Post by druzz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 pm

one thing is for sure , i wont sell the DW-8000 for less than i can have an other one + a pair of shoes. there are synths that i really want to sell and i price them accordingly . others that i should sell but dont really have the guts (dw is part of them), for those i put the price higher and if someone wants it and is willing to pay i let it go with the consolation that i made some profit and can buy an other one if i need ,all that being a profitable procces.
but you might be right , especially since i plan on selling the esqm i should keep one of those hybrids. the stupid thing is that for the moment it has to stand against the wall . maybe i should get a EX like you

looking at your gear i see you dont have one true 80's DCO synth. it would be a nice addition to your setup specially if you like 80's and analog's (devil speaking here). i have three of them . way too much! when i was starting out i bought those cause they were cheap. ( jx-3p, matrix6, mks-7 (juno 106 rack)) now i'm stuck with them cause they all sound good and i cant manage to part with them. i hope when i get hotter gear i can drop one or two of them, but this will be hard.

i believe the dw sounds not that much like any of my DCO synths

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:25 am

I used to own a Matrix 6 and I miss it dearly. It was phenomenal for thick bass, pads, strings, and more. It had a good sound all around.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

mao

Post by mao » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:10 pm

druzz wrote:looking at your gear i see you dont have one true 80's DCO synth. it would be a nice addition to your setup specially if you like 80's and analog's (devil speaking here).
Ok I think you're right... suggest me a good DCO synth... matrix1000? matrix6? mks? dsi tetr4? juno?

what about MKS30/50 vs Matrix6 ?

druzz

Post by druzz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:45 pm

juno : simple and smooth , just one dco per voice

alpha juno : cant tell, seems raw

jx-3p : squelchy , great fun with the pg-200, i love manual mode . 2 dco's , no pwm , 1 enveloppe

matrix 6 : get the rack. nothing more on the keyboard. very crazy potential , almost endless mod routing possibilities. the manuAL is a never ending story . i am reading it over and over . it is not fast to create a sound on it (for me at the moment at least . 2 dco's , lots of everything!!3 enveloppes . lots of lfo'S, ramps and a tracking generator that modulates the modulators!!

-hey by the way in am off to get a voyager RME at this very moment.

mao

Post by mao » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 am

Well I spent some time listen to Matrix6/1000 demo... and Roland MKS70 demo... mmm it seems I like far more the Roland sound. For complex matrix modulations things the Andromeda does the job... so the overall sound of the matrix doesn't make me excited, while the MKS70 gives to me a very warm and silk sound I prefer.

well... someone has a MKS70 to sell ? (I can't afford a MKS80... and I don't want to get a MKS30/50)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:47 am

screw the demos & get one plus a good editor. sounds fantastic once you get good at programming it.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:03 am

mao wrote:while the MKS70 gives to me a very warm and silk sound I prefer.
"Warm and silk(y)" is a very good description of the MKS70 (JX-10) sound. And it is surprisingly deep for an inexpensive, vintage analog polysynth -- not on the order of an Andromeda (or Matrix 12), of course, but far more flexible than Junos.

druzz

Post by druzz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:04 am

does it have to be a rack ? the jx-8p usually goes cheap.