Vocoders! (and these need to sound GOOD)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
computron
Band: Computron

Re: Vocoders! (and these need to sound GOOD)

Post by computron » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 am

The nord modular vocoder is very nice for a vocoder with keyboard, there seems to be many vocoders in many synths that sound bad like the Sirius the Virus kb the Waldorf’s ECT .They say the v synth has nice one but I have no experience with one. For me the perfect vocoder that was still affordable till not so long is the svc350! I would even say the king of vocoders in the realistic realm of owning.I realy think there are more bad vocoders then good ones save the oldies, Your jp6 would sound amazing threw a svc. or the vp keyboard version (much higher priced)
Living the Electro Life

TRANSISTOR FACE

Post by TRANSISTOR FACE » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Yeah, I mean, I would love to have a vintage analog vocoder but it simply isn't a realistic goal for me at the moment. I would just need something that does it's job well and that I would feel comfortable gigging with. I'm going for a compact but interesting set-up for live performance.

laptop + sample-triggering/effect modulating interface
Master keyboard to play and tweak pads, arpegioes and to play more expressive melody lines overtop the laptop's backing tracks.

and finally another small keyboard/vocoder for the vocals... and almost exclusively vocals. It would have to be compact but sound GOOD as in, almost natural... I'm definitely not going for the old-school robot thing a la Giorgio Moroder (I'm thinking about the track "baby blue" perticularly) but more of an eery, sung kind of sound.

(truth be told, the idea behind my "Jupiter Sex" project is to be some kind of deep-space singer-songwriter... and so to have that sort of singer-songwriter "feel" in a live show but with "futuristic" look to it... think "light-rock radio-stations from outer-space")

This guy does it really well... (actually, I'm not even sure if that's a vocoder at all but yeah, that kind of sound.)

This is what I've been doing so far with the jupiter 6/ electrix combination

http://www.myspace.com/jupitersex

_______

So far I've tried the R3 vs the Miniak... and the R3 definitely gets my vote. Truth be told I didn't really get to program the miniak so much as I just HATED the interface. Ugh! Yeah, I'm definitely not interested in one of those anymore.

So right now I'm leaning towards the R3 or the nord g1 which I have yet to try... I think I'd probably end up feeling more satisfied with a G1 though, I'm hoping that I'd be able to really tweak and fine-tune the sound to end up with a single patch I'd be satisfied with.

thoughts?

(oh, and thanks for the replies everyone! you've definitely pointed me in the right direction)

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:26 pm

transistorface, the manual that comes with the R3 is amazing. its huge and it goes in depth on every single parameter and what they do. i think you can find it on the Korg website, Id suggest checking it out if you were interested in all the specs. i agree with you, the user interface is very friendly. Ive only had mine for less than a week, and I am already programming some very cool patches.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:26 am

I've heard the Doepfer vocoder is a good one. I think you can definitely tell analog from digital vocoders. I've come to the realization that there are some good softsynths out there that do analog type sounds well (still not analog though). But digital vocoders seem to fall short from analog vocoders by a larger margin. Heard the V synth vocoder and it is the only digital vocoder that I've heard that has some balls to it. Roland knows it's vocoders though. The R3 sounds decent, but then again I haven't used an analog vocoder in person, only digital ones. It would be nice if there was a side by side comparison of a bunch of vocoders somewhere on the net.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

computron

Post by computron » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:45 am

stikygum wrote:I've heard the Doepfer vocoder is a good one. I think you can definitely tell analog from digital vocoders. I've come to the realization that there are some good softsynths out there that do analog type sounds well (still not analog though). But digital vocoders seem to fall short from analog vocoders by a larger margin. Heard the V synth vocoder and it is the only digital vocoder that I've heard that has some balls to it. Roland knows it's vocoders though. The R3 sounds decent, but then again I haven't used an analog vocoder in person, only digital ones. It would be nice if there was a side by side comparison of a bunch of vocoders somewhere on the net.

Most digital vocoders and all vst vocoders are lacking in SOUND compared to analogs.A fact I seldom ever see mentioned in the never ending soft vs hardware debate. I never heard a soft or digital that can touch the svc350 or the mam vf-11 for that matter (good cheap or affordable analog vocoder with lots of bands) as was said here before the number of bands though does not make a vocoder sound good. The only digital vocoder I have heard that sounds VERY good right out is the nord modular. I have heard good things about the v synth as well but have not used it, Quissimidi ,Virus,Waldorf, are gimmicky .The Mircokorg series R3 have much better vocoders then any of the three I mention above. It’s pretty decent and I would even say that the Korg’s beat all soft synth vocoders I have heard. I have never found a vocoder sound I like more then svc350 but I do like all different kinds of vocoders .So I am not closed minded to one set vocoder type sound. I just like ones that sound good.

Here is an excellent side by side comparison vocoder page you MUST check out if you like vocoders.
http://www.stoffelshome.de/vocoder/vocoder_daten.html
Many examples here with samples it has the analog the digitals and vsts
Living the Electro Life

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld

Post by impaler42 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:44 pm

It seems to me that digital vocoders give you more control and are meant for creating completely new types of vocoder sounds rather than creating the old school vintage ones that analog vocoders are known for. I guess its just a matter of what you are going for.
electronic music forever

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by impaler42 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:45 pm

By the way, computron, that webpage is amazing. Very comprehensive.
electronic music forever

computron

Post by computron » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:22 am

impaler42 wrote:It seems to me that digital vocoders give you more control and are meant for creating completely new types of vocoder sounds rather than creating the old school vintage ones that analog vocoders are known for. I guess its just a matter of what you are going for.

the more modern mam vf-11 sounds nothing like my old school "classic" sound of the svc350.Its a more modern type of analog vocoder with alot of control.You can make many types of new sounds with the vf -11.it also doubbles as a compressor limmiter and eq .It also has its own simple synth in it if you didnt have a synth for modular or carrier.But you jp 6 would be more then enough to create new vocoder sounds with a vf-11.you should check it out .
Living the Electro Life

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:45 am

The Roland definitely sounds good. Very creamy. But the one that stand out the most to me, and I was suprised it sounded this good, is the Doepfer.

This site is fantastic with it's clips on it. I'm wondering how fair it would be to judge these vocoders based on those clips though. Love listening to them, but they all seem to do different types of vocoding. One clip has a deeper voice while others go for higher, so it's not a a/b one on one comparison, but that is an excellent resource to get an idea of the vocoders. Thanks for posting that!

Most of those digital vocoders sound like c**p though. I was even more suprised than I thought for analog vs. digital.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:53 am

Which site has the Doepfer clips?
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 am

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:21 am

ah, hidden in there. my bad.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40